Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jedi Academy Asset

Hello Polycount, it's been a long time since I posted on here. I just thought I'd share what I've been working for the past couple of weeks.

I've been making models for games and lighting in engine for about a year and a half now, but I still need lots of practice. This piece is based on an asset I came upon while playing one of my old favorites, Jedi Academy. I decided I would make my own rendition of it to see how it could look by next-gen standards.

I would appreciate any crit you might have for me, I'm working hard to improve my skills at the moment :)

c3sQxPm.jpg

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The model is nice, but unfortunately the normalmaps (If you are using. I couldnt really tell) are not really.It looks like you are just using diffuse and maybe specular.90 degree angles are not good for normalmaps. A little more beveled shapes would be better. Also, use softer corner edges on the highpoly, because its also improving your normalmap "quality" and it would give more highpoly-like looking. At the moment it looks like its completely hard edged, because of the too sharp edges.
    This is what I mean by "beveled" :
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg
    And this is for "softer edges":
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_edge_thickness.jpg

Showing your textures would also help, because then we can see better what you could improve. Hope these helps.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    The Jedi Knight series has been my faves for years, so I'm always eager to see stuff like this haha :)

It's a nice start but its still very flat last gen looking, you also need to consider where you add geo, there's alot of chamfering on small details that get lost and no chamfering on the big shapes which really need it.

Also keep in mind appropriate locations for wear and grime, if you imagine an AO map as a guide; grime in dark areas, worn surfaces in light areas/edges.
    Lastly does this have any normals or spec? it just looks diffuse atm. Specular can also be useful to define material differentiation between those different types of metal and plastic.
    I'd also suggest reworking the colour scheme, liven it up abit more from grey, with some blues, greens, oranges etc.

Keep it up tho dude :thumbup:
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I agree with Obscura's input, it's a cool looking asset and the texture work holds it's own, however the details don't seem to 'pop' in the way that they potentially could with adjustments to the normal map.

The 90 degree angles when baking was a problem that i had a while back and i kept making the same errors until someone on this glorious forum helped me out.

I'm not too sure what the nature of the asset is but it definitely reminds me of an upgraded version of the chambers from that film, The Fly :)

...Good shout from Mask_Salesman on the grime and wear...

All the best!
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thankyou for the awesome replies!

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to doing a good normal bake. I feel like I've been steadily getting better at them, but there are always new hurdles to get over!

I've done another render with different lighting to show the normals and spec better, I also increased the contrast on them (though some parts of the normal map stick out a bit TOO much now)

u8gDd0V.jpg

And as requested, the texture maps (yes, I know... the UV spacing is atrocious, another thing I must work on!)

W65hun6.jpg
    KHNY5qf.jpg
    NjGYCG5.jpg

Any suggestions you have for improving this would be greatly appreciated! I'm having issues with the normals on the four big pipes- when I try to bake in the soft edge detail, the lines on the normal map come out squiggly... it's an issue I keep having.

Thanks!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Seems like there are quite a few areas where you could be using UV space more efficiently.

Some of your side panels seem to be exactly the same. Perhaps re-approach by researching how you can use shared UV space. I'm sure someone more skilled than myself will elaborate on the point i have raised :)

Looking good though. Just keep on pushing it further! :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That UV Unwrap will keep you from getting hired. You don't need to uniquely unwrap. I spent 10 minutes working on this at work. You just really need to plan ahead and think about what can be overlapping, mirrored, and reused. This is a 1024 and i barely re-sized any of the islands from your original texture sheet. I bet if I shrink it to 512 it will probably look close to what you have rendered, too.
    FixedUVsEllis.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    There you go, i knew someone skilled would come along and explain what i was trying to get at. The above change to the texture sheet will surely improve your asset.

Well done ErichWK, you are certainly the most intelligent llama i have ever come across :)
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your help :)

I've UVed like that for smaller assets, but won't an asset this big end up looking very repetitive if I have overlapping uv islands to compensate for space? And the AO is different in certain areas, so wouldn't it look odd to have repeating AO where it doesn't make sense?

If you know ways around these things, please let me know! I would love to learn more about correct UVing :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonCactus wrote: »
    Thank you for your help :)

I've UVed like that for smaller assets, but won't an asset this big end up looking very repetitive if I have overlapping uv islands to compensate for space? And the AO is different in certain areas, so wouldn't it look odd to have repeating AO where it doesn't make sense?

If you know ways around these things, please let me know! I would love to learn more about correct UVing :)

No one will notice. Just to amuse all of us here at Polycount and yourself, why not UV Unwrap that asset more condensed like I have it, Texture it.. and Compare both versions. Results may surprise and frighten you.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can use more uv channels than one. So you can use an overlapped one for things like diffuse, normal, etc, and a second with uniquely placed uv shells for an ao for example. Or this would be good for a "decal" or "texts" texture if it would be needed. Also, in UDK, the second uv channel is must needed because of the lightmass baking. So in this case you could use this channel for the ao, and for the things like decals you could use a third. Using multiple uv channels is usual I think.

Oh, and there are pieces that are baked onto each other. If you work with max, then I can recommend the "hit only matching material IDs" checkbox in the baking options.

And you should use padding.

If you are really trying to make it "next gen", then you should try to use material IDs and to separate the texture into a few part. Because you can get better resolution with this.

Are you using Emissive and glossiness?
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    No one will notice. Just to amuse all of us here at Polycount and yourself, why not UV Unwrap that asset more condensed like I have it, Texture it.. and Compare both versions. Results may surprise and frighten you.

What a novel idea... I'll get on it :)

Obscura: thanks! I had forgotten that.. I make light maps a lot and it never occurred to me to use a second set of uv's for AO. sometimes things seem so obvious once someone points them out to you :)

And yep, I have a gloss map, only it's not on the model atm. Needs tweaking. I'm working on an emissive for the spotlights :)
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a little while but I've re-uved the model to make better use of the space. I've overlapped most of the duplicate uv shells, and only kept the old uvs for the ao. You were right, ErichWK, the difference is unnoticeable :) I still need to tweak the textures by hand in photoshop, but I hope it's all looking a bit neater now.

8t1Ojxx.jpg

4M96IvX.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The UV spacing is looking much better! But your texture seems to have lost a good bit of resolution or something?
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I may be able to afford pushing it up to a 2k map. It is a pretty big asset.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think it has to do with texture map being too small, but the actual texture itself.
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it would probably be better to just improve the texture rather than resize it again. I can already see where I can make improvements. Thanks :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoonCactus wrote: »
    You were right, ErichWK, the difference is unnoticeable :)
    You were right, ErichWK, the difference
    You were right, ErichWK,
    You were right

Ngghhh. Feeeeels so goooooood.

Anyways, The loss of Resolution, Tobbo might be because it is a jpeg. But this is much much better and less offensive to the Polygods. Your spec map is just an autogenerated Cavity right? It makes your entire piece super flat with no specularity definition. I'd fix that if I were you. Close in the contrast and really think about what will be shiny and what won't be. 2k might be alright for portfolio piece. But if this was running in game on today's consoles? It would probably be a 512 or 1024. (but i guess this is for your site....) So just make it good. And fix that Spec map. It's terrible. :D