Home Technical Talk

3ds max boolean problem

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys. Ive been working on a shape recently that requires me to cut one object out of another (see image) boolean_by_aerodyll-d6c1ymn.jpg

I want to cut the R into the curved face of the B. This is just a basic boolean but when I do it creates a load of smoothing issues and as this is cutting into 2 curved shapes manually fixing those issues is nigh on impossible (or it at least feels that way). Is there anyway to cut this shape out and have it automatically generate the topology? While working on this all I can think is that in a program like Sketchup it would be a 2 minute job, does max have any similar tools that I just don't know about?

I've considered using turbosmooth to smooth it out too but as its gotta be used in real time that wasn't feasible.

Thanks

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anyway to cut this shape out and have it automatically generate the topology?
    Oh man, if only. You could maybe try ZBrush and hit it with ZRemesher afterwards. But if you're going to do it in Max, sorry, booleans require clean up.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    ZBrush's Shadowbox may work. If you load in the B and R as mask alphas you can get it to project the proper topology. Here's a quick sketch I drew out by hand. Took 30 seconds:

Capture.PNG

With a higher resolution and actual alpha usage, the result should be less rounded and much closer to what you are looking for.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    I would try Sketchup, as its a CAD program.
    I think it can generate 3D text...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I don't understanding what you're trying to do, or the problem you're hitting, but both Booleans and ProBooleans work fine for me.
    3dsmax%20Booleans.jpg

The geometry on ProBooleans is a little cleaner and can be set to quads which is a lot better than regular booleans which normally makes a triangulated nightmare. ProBooleans also waits until all of the operators have been added before it figures out the best and final geometry. Regular booleans just cuts on whatever was there previously, if you have a long list of operators the geometry gets crazy fast.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    Cheers for the help guys. I'm sure I have tried pro boolean but will give it another go as the smoothing in your images looks immaculate. Mark you are right in what i am trying to do but I'm cutting the negative space of the R out of the B not the R itself not that that really makes any difference.

I will give this a go soon(I'm going on holiday for a bit now) much appreciated.