Home Technical Talk

zbrush noob

Hi guys,

Just started to use zbrush. so far i have the below

basebook.png

created the mesh in max, divided in zbrush roughed up the edges some. now i sorta dont know what to do. Like I say a proper noob. Can't find any tutorials on this sort of object.

Theres lots of hard surface and characters. Anyone got any tips for creating leather look or what else i could do. or point me to some tutorials.

Thanks,

Craig

Replies

• HelloMyNamesJordan
    Look into leather materials and what defines them. like cracks and wear etc. And sculpt that into your mesh. Also what about adding engraved text or decor. Look at old books and use them as reference to make yours
  • tmcraig
    yeah i do have a style im heading after, basically like a old worn leather bound spell book.

The problem is being new to zbrush, i know practise makes perfect and all that, but does anyone know of a ripped leather or torn skin tutorial? or tips to push me in right direction?

Thanks,

Craig
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There are a lot of different ways to approach it. You can use a photograph of leather and create a mask from it, then use that to mask the Ztool and use deformation modifiers or brushes on the masked elements. Or, just use Zbrush for the larger details. I assume this is getting baked out? If so, you can apply a nDo2/Knald/Crazybump normal overlay of leather on top of the HP bake. Or you can UV the HP model, apply a generic leather bump map to it then bake it out. There are really a lot of options on the table here. Best to just try them and see what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way, so long as you get the results you want, in a timely manner.
  • HelloMyNamesJordan
    You can also create your own alphas. That will be pretty easy and should look decent. There will be loads of leather effect brushes on the net too
  • tmcraig
    Finally got chance to have a play with zbrush,kids and work take up so much time, how do you guys do it.

TestBook03.png

can anyone answer why when i applied my texture it was fairly bright, then when i added noise on top it went dull? I'm not complaining as it looks a load better this way :) just trying to understand the workings of zbrush more.

Craig
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Noise can have color properties applied to it, so that would be my first thing to check. Otherwise, the newer shape of the surface could have it catch light / cast more shadows from the matcap.
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    In the Noise pop up, there's a color blend slider and an rgb picker. That lets you choose how much of what color to blend into the noise, and of course you can set it to zero for no noise coloration.