Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

Well hello everyone!

I will admit, I am a bit nervous but excited none the less about posting my portfolio. I am a very recent graduate of Full Sail University, and would greatly appreciate any and all advice/criticism on my portfolio. There is no way I am going to get better without knowing what is wrong, otherwise I would make the same mistakes on everything that I make which is not good. So I hope you all enjoy what I have put together! :)

http://www.michael-3diaz.com/

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    huh...thats actually not that bad, clean and simple, most ppl tend to over complicate things. good job :)
    your "logo/name" is horrible though. I really dont know what to say to improve it though, other then take a look at how other ppl did their names and I dunno, do something like that :)

I think you could brush up your contact/info text some.
    It starts of a bit slow, and I really dont care where you where born and if you where sure u wanted to do art or not, You make i pretty clear this is what you want with your finishing sentence anyways. I think the text could use a bit more of your portfolio design, clean and simple.
    oh, and you should maybe mention your skills there, what programs u know and other stuff like that.

buuut what do I know xD
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    There's an extra 'I' in your second sentence.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Good work on the site. Easy to navigate and find everything. Even the light-box thumbnails didn't bother me that much. You could probably just post the reel video at the top of your gallery page instead of having two separate pages. Also, IMO for props and environment work I'd rather see a gallery of nice big stills than a lower rez video. I'd recommend just posting your resume instead of trying to get people to use a request form. As a recent graduate you'll probably be begging people to look at it instead of the other way around.

The work itself is not bad, but it does look like a pretty typical student portfolio. A couple of small environment pieces, a prop, a character, and a concept piece. It will probably be best to work towards focusing your portfolio on the type of position you want to apply for. The character and concept piece aren't really relevant to working as an env artist. For the environment pieces that are there, I don't really get a sense of what went into creating the piece shown. for the tree there are 5 very similar looking renders. There is a wire frame which is good, but no texture sheet? no callout renders of key props or highpoly models(if there were any). Things like those can show your technique and say a lot more than 3 beauty shots at slightly different angles. It was nice to see some prop renders of your teapot ride scene, but there were still no texture examples. The same comments apply to the other two enviro pieces. For a prop example like the light I would especially expect to see a highpoly. Also a note about what software was used would be nice as well. were any of these pieces rendered in a game engine?

Moving forward it would be nice to see more finished scenes. The ones you have are more or less just groups of objects in front of an empty background. An actual finished scene with foreground, background, and hero piece objects does a lot for an environment folio. Especially rendered in a modern engine. For props likewise, something more impressive than a wall light will help. Think large sized prop and definitely something where you'll get an interesting high-poly to show off.

That's kind of an unorganized brain dump... hope it helps. If something's unclear ask away.
  • djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Goat Justice said, remove the character and concept art and focus on environments.
    Some advice I was given from environment artists in the industry is have a few environments with different atmospheres (day, night, etc) and have a break down of some of the good props. Focus on good lighting and composition and if your art style matches that of the studio you apply for, you should be good.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'd jump straight to the gallery, there's no need to separate the video from all the images.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    lotet wrote: »
    huh...thats actually not that bad, clean and simple, most ppl tend to over complicate things. good job :)
    your "logo/name" is horrible though. I really dont know what to say to improve it though, other then take a look at how other ppl did their names and I dunno, do something like that :)

buuut what do I know xD

95% of the people have bad names and logos. I dont think his is bad at all, and if you cant bring up a proper argument against it, or atleast say what you dont like, then it dosnt have any weight what you say against it.

The font he uses is good, the colors are good and the kerning dosnt show
    any obvious flaws. I dont really get the logic behind the placement of the 2 text components, but it is not really that wrong either. The left boxes should have a little more space between them and the text.

Website looks good, presentation is pretty nice and the work looks fine but you dont have a lot to show. Just care to make the picture on home the same width as the video.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your biggest mistake is having the URL Michael3Diaz, and the header image saying MichaelRDiaz.

And yeah, ditch the homepage. Just make the video the first item in your gallery.
  • MDiaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why I love Polycount, the response times are fast and and feedback given is great. Thank you all for helping and letting me know what to improve. I will get working on the fixes right away, especially on getting rid of the homepage! :)

Goat Justice - The reason why I chose to do a request form instead of posting my resume was because I have heard stories of resumes being stolen. I guess I was a little bit paranoid of that happening with mine, but you are correct that I should just post it.

As for the texture sheets, I was really debating about posting them. Of all the portfolio sites that I have looked at, it has always been a split between those who post their textures and those who do not. I've also asked those around me and I get the same half and half response, but after reading through your post, I will certainly add them along with the programs used. Thank you!
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    LMP wrote: »
    I'd jump straight to the gallery, there's no need to separate the video from all the images.

I agree x100000000
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Goat Justice - The reason why I chose to do a request form instead of posting my resume was because I have heard stories of resumes being stolen. I guess I was a little bit paranoid of that happening with mine, but you are correct that I should just post it.

That's a new one by me. I can see someone lazy copying a format, but trying to claim someone else's credits is really asking for trouble. It's been my experience that resume's mostly get looked at to see if someone has professional experience, education and student/mod projects might get some attention, but its secondary. They're also a good way for people to find your contact info. Showing a portfolio good enough to get a test is the most important bit if you're just coming out of school.

I have, however, seen textures swiped from people's portfolios and cut-up to fit other models, or just straight stolen if they're tiling. Some folks just don't worry about it(as long as it gets you a job its served its purpose), or you can watermark or neapolitan them.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Two pages, Portfolio and Resume. Nothing more, nothing else. Put them both on one page if you're game.
  • Rebo421
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the top banner, over all its pretty clean im more of a fan of scrolling pages were i don't need to click id have your demo reel at the top then organize the rest into nice sections and make it all available on the front page.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On your teacup ride, you should increase the number of sides for the wheel (from 8 to 12) and for the large and small platforms. The purple and green tea cups sitting on the main platform seem a bit out of place; if you just wanted more cups, then increase the cups on each minor platform from 3 to 4.