Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Knight

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
I mostly make male characters, the civil war thread going on - in polycount with all the awesome artists - sort of inspired me to go ahead and make a female character, so here's goes my 1st female character attempt- Crits are welcome :)

Concept by Tahra

489_large.jpg

HEADREFS.jpg

Some faces

Femknight.jpg

312.jpg

3.jpg

Replies

• afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great choice in concept and nice start. Here's a few things that you might want to look at:
    - Head is a bit small
    - Shoulders are a bit wide
    - upper torso is looking too thick from side view
    - this could be because of the how thin the upper leg is but the leg position might need to come forward slightly (from side view)
    - I think the shape of the leg needs some rework. At the moment the silhouette of the thigh is looking like straight lines from hip area to the knee, try getting some subtle curves in there. Check the position/shape of the hips

Thats my 2 cents. I hope it helps. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, afisher
    thank you for the crit, I'm a fan of your work so its an honor and it helps a lot
    I shall rework it a lot of good points :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, I was planning to use the same concept some time in the future as well !! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  • JoshuaMorrisonInk
    Really awesome concept I too can't wait to see how this turns out. afisher had great points and I look forward to seeing the next WIP.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test_01.jpg

Test_03.jpg

Test_04.jpg

Update - Super basic blocking in of the armor - so far - Trying to figure things out that are a little obscure - like the Arm armor - got a lot of refs for it from 3Dsk - hopefully something will click
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    dis gon be good
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Aww yiss!

Been wanting to do a character like this for a while, nice to see you go for it Arty.

I have close to 500 images of armors and such if you want it. Could help you figure out how some of the stuff works and fits together. The design of the leg armor looks a bit odd so you might have to take some artistic freedoms for the sake of articulation.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Frell - hope I don't disappoint :)

@ Fingus - Hey whats up Sindre, yeah I'm gonna have take some liberties I guess - Seeing that the legs and arms look like they aren't exactly armor but rather metallic limbs - like the knee looks like a rotating sphere - (also are the images of armor that you have the ones from 3dsk? cuz I got a bunch of those)

I think 1st I'm gonna make what I see and then move onto concepting stuff in 3D and see what happens heh
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like her helmet is a little too close to her skull. It looks like there is a chain coif in the concept and there would probably be some sort of cloth under that between the helmet and her hair / head.

Nice choice of references / concept!
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RMeeks - thats a good call about the Coif - I was thinking it was more of a neck guard...but that makes total sense...also *durp* heh
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test2.JPG

Test5.JPG

Test3.JPG

Test4.JPG

So much left to do - I can't wait to get into the sculpting portion...but...I'll have to
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good Arthur. One point of critique that could be helpful is that the plates on her hips are going down straight right now. This takes away from the curvature the concept has. I know her legs are posed in the concept, but I think your model would benefit from it if those plates follow her shapes a little more.
    I hope that helps!
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Lloth - hey, thank you for the crit :) - yeah I totally agree, someone else pointed it out to me yesterday I mean to change it today
  • Athomield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going pretty good but the feet postion is wrong even tho it's in the concept, you can do the posing in a very late stage when you're going to present it.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's wrong in what way? Like it's standing on the tip toes? - I'm planning on putting a high heel boot on the foot that's why I have the position like that
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _01.JPG

02.JPG

_04.JPG

06.JPG

05.JPG

03.JPG

A bit of an update - Not too sure about the elbow armor - or the mask - or the boots...hopefully I can figure something out -

I think for the Mask - Im gonna make the holes in Zbrush and keep the bigger ones open
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any reason for the stripper shoes? Boots for armor traditionally had almost no heel, bur often had wildly pointed toes. Metal ones often had a lobster-tail construction of overlapping plate to allow the foot to bend while still providing protection.
    l_medieval-armor-gothic-steel-shoes-fantasy-larp-costume-e310.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I assert "Rule of Cool."

And Asian style of Western fantasy designs.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    DWalker made a good point about the shoes.

A good idea would be to go for a mix between the high heel shoes (as it's pretty cool) and the lobstern tail construction of overlaping plate. That way you lose that stripper shoes feeling and add some more interesting shapes to the feet.

I know it's not like this on the concept but the feet area is quite bland so it would be nice to add your own twist to it.

And very good job so far =)
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for a late response - I recently got a new job that has been taking up all my time, - Finally getting around to working on this character again.

@DWalker - I like the reference you posted up, I think I'll add something like that - I didn't really know where to go on the boots because its sort of unclear in the concept. But in the concept it does look like it's high heel.

Here are some updates

Female+Face.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

I think I'll I'll work on the boots next I quite like the suggestions

Cheers :)
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job, can't wait to see more.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest let down for me, personally, is the face... now don't get me wrong here yours is pretty well executed, i just liked the concept more, it really tied in well to the rest of the design.

i also think your proportions are extremely western, the concept seems like an awesome mix between western armour/clothing styles, and eastern drawing/art styles. i think you've pushed too far into western everything and that's a shame.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut - thanks :) i hope to get some more time to work on it

@almighty_gir - I partially agree with you, it was a tough call, and I just went with a likeness of a few references I found. I didn't really want it to be too toony, but maybe I went a little too realistic.

If you want to provide some sort of refs or paint over on how to find that middle-ground between western and eastern, I'm all ears :)

a little harsh (wording-wise) would have been sufficed to say, "it seems you went a little too western instead of stylized in the face" no sense in expressing your disappointment and shaming me, that doesn't help anyone.
  • polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    His comment didn't sound harsh at all, and just seems like an opinion to me. One I happen to partially agree with. Even through text it shouldn't be difficult to pick out the critique portion and ignore the rest :)

I think you've done a really nice job so far! In my opinion, though, it doesn't really feel like it matches the concept at all. If it wasn't for the armor being the same, I don't know if I would relate the concept and your sculpt with each other.

The proportions are a big part of that, but the face is what makes it quite detached, for me.

With that being said, I still think what you are doing looks really great! Just isn't hitting the concept perfectly, in my opinion.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @polaroid29 - thanks for explaining it to me :) - that actually helps a lot :) - I'll see what I can do - I don't have too much experience creating female characters much less stylized heads - it should be good practice - thanks again
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking really cool so far. I do agree though on it being a little too western in appearance. I think mainly its just a shape thing. In the concept if feels more form fitting where in the model if feels more western because it looks more bulky. I think if you could change it to where it looks more form fitting to the model itself it will reflect better with concept. And I would say the same applies to the face, just go for more of that eastern anime-ish feel and you'll hit it spot on. Again looking really nice so cant wait to see more of this model. :)
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blah.jpg

bla2.jpg

still messing with the face... - did a few studies of a bit more stylized heads...still unsure