Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Hideout - Stalker Inspired Environment

polygon
Offline / Send Message
EvilPixills polygon
Hey everyone, here is an environment piece I am working on for a portfolio asset. The concept is from the canceled Stalker 2 game. I am not entirely following the concept 100%, just enough to get the base of the scene established and then adding my own spin. In this scene I wanted to focus on vertex painting, lighting and just pushing the overall detail on scene decoration.

Fh6H3Wl.jpg

You may notice a few reflection anomalies in some screens and I am currently working on those issues. Current lighting is rendered at High quality. I am looking for critiques and feedback if anyone has the time to provide it, I would a appreciate it very much. Thanks!

O02IWcI.jpg

Zq7NpIB.jpg

bIYPcoA.jpg

ngZBMJ2.jpg

2AQkWQZ.jpg

Replies

• hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    This level would be an amazing custom map for The Hidden source, consider making it a level man, i really love it! ;]
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Thanks, hollandje.

I've been wanting to do something with the Source SDK for a while now but I keep putting it off. I think once I finish my set of environment up I will get a project going there.
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    Great!! I will keep an eye out :3
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I have gotten some great critiques from external sources and have made some changes and revisions.

-Changed lighting scheme from gloomy and dark to a more brighter daytime setting.
    -Uprez'd some textures and switched from 1024 to 2048 on some main textures.
    -Added wet spots to the floor. They were there before but were not set up properly/lit well.
    -Got rid of the wooden planks on the walls. Added some trim elements.
    -Added more vines coming through broken windows as well as some cobwebs.
    -Bunch of material tweaks and adjustments.

CBYvElp.jpg

zE0ppMK.jpg

qKvysny.jpg

19hafA0.jpg

Still looking for feedback on lighting and anything else anyone has the time to share. Thanks.
  • Wingednosering
    Overall, the lighting looks really good to me. There's a huge improvement from the first set of images to these latest ones. The fire extinguishers, ceiling tiles, floor textures and the mattress all look great. I'm a student, so there isn't much I can offer, but here's my two cents:

-The right side of your second image could use some love. The texturing seems a little weak there (sort of looks like simple tiling textures just applied on everything, but onto objects they don't really work on). You could also make the light coming in from that collapsed portion a little more dramatic to match the rest of the scene.

-In that same area, you've gotta muddy up the reflections on the glass. Considering how broken down and worn everything else in the scene is, that looks like an incredibly fine mirror with no wear at all.

-Something about the grass in each image isn't sitting right with me. The grass looks a little too generic and frankly too long/thick to be growing up out of cracks in the floor. It's so sparse that I think you could go a little higher on the detail there and really make it fit the scene.

-Your first image has a really obvious texture seam/mirror on one of the pillars (presumably on all of them, but the others are too far from the camera to see). The specularity on that piece also seems a touch high in value.

-You don't have many metal pieces, but the ones you do have aren't making the most of your lighting. Metal objects should have reflection maps, dark diffuse colours and high, high specularity wherever there's no rust/damage. Consider working that in a bit. If it's in there, it's too subtle. Make that metal stand out. Your lantern glass could use this same treatment since they aren't lit any more.

-The trim on your ceiling has the opposite problem. It's too reflective and needs to be worn down more. Add a touch of grunge to break up that massive specular.

-The books in the last scene could use some normals to break those specular lines. I'd also dim down that spec a bit.

-Your pipe texture tiles very obviously. Maybe touch that up a bit and remove the dark sections?

That's it from me, I hope some of it was helpful.

This scene looks awesome and you've come a long way already. I'd say that seam is the only big issue. Aside from that, you could present it as-is with pride.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Thanks for your feedback, Wingednosering. I appreciate it!

I went ahead and made the changes you pointed out. I tried scaling the grass down some and then scaled up the z axis to try and make it thinner. Not sure how I feel about it still. I added in wood beams where the seams are visible on the windows. Made the glass material much dirtier and cloudy. Bumped up the spec on some metal surfaces. Also added in some ivy coming through the collapsed ceiling as well as some light.

CKFTdwj.jpg

2VLxrDm.jpg

WenymOc.jpg

Bumping up the spec value of my desk seemed to scatter a green tint on surrounding surfaces. Not sure if I like that or not. Still some minor tweaks to be made but overall I am happy with how the scene has turned out. Way better than my first version. Looking forward to finishing this up and moving on.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Wow. This is progressing really nicely. Your scene has come a long way so far.

Well done! :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    really liking this! :) GG
  • Wingednosering
    Excellent work! Interesting idea to add the wood beams on there to hide the seam. It looks like you toned down the spec between the ceiling tiles too.

Any chance of a fly-through once you're done so we can really see that sweet, sweet spec detail?
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I love this :D, the lighting job is great!