Home Technical Talk

IBL in Max 2013

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
I've been searching around for quite a bit (including forum search) and can't find a decent rundown on using Image Based lighting in Max Mental Ray.
I know marmoset can do it, but just out a desire for knowledge I'm trying to learn in Max also.
If someone could share good links or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Xoliulshader

http://viewportshader.com/help/
    Lighting properties -> Environment cube -> Cubemap IBL and shadows
    And also
    Material properties -> Reflections -> cubemap reflections
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will sound stupid, but I completely forgot about Xoliulshader.
    I'll still keep looking for mentalray info, just because I'm OCD curious.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    For mentalray you just need a simple skylight.

You need to instance the hdri texture into the skylights color parameter. Then you need to activate the photographic exposure control.

For scenes with hard sunlight its better to use a directional light for the sun except of only using the hdri.

To make your scenes render faster you need to use an "background-environment-switcher". So you can use a low resolution hdri for the lightning and a sharp hdri for the background.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki wrote: »
    For mentalray you just need a simple skylight.

You need to instance the hdri texture into the skylights color parameter. Then you need to activate the photographic exposure control.

For scenes with hard sunlight its better to use a directional light for the sun except of only using the hdri.

To make your scenes render faster you need to use an "background-environment-switcher". So you can use a low resolution hdri for the lightning and a sharp hdri for the background.

That's pretty much the process I'm using now. I think it's using exposure controls for different HDR's and how to adjust for them that my biggest issue. Glad to know I'm heading down the correct path with the process though.