Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Folio Site Feedback

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
I'm in the process of updating my profolio, and I would like to know how to make it better. Easier to use. Appear cooler. And such.

It's supposedly for Character Artist position.
http://pyrzern.net/index.html

* Note * It's made using Adobe Muse. first time using it.

* Note * Yes, I don't have cool stuff to put on it yet. Just making do with what I have. I'm learning zbrush so hopefully I can take all those characters to the next level of completion soon.

* Note * Yes, I will put my name and contacts on all images.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Render all your stuff in Marmoset cause what you have now pretty bad, OR learn to render your stuff in a nice scene, and try and keep it consistant. try and show off each of your models the sameway.

Why do you have an Object space normal on the model in this pic??? Normally people have normals map they are showing.
    http://pyrzern.deviantart.com/art/Female-Deathknight-274959731

Why are none of these models textured? or have a high poly sculpt?
    Why is the name of the character's names backwards? "Sentinel, the"? Make no sense. Change it so people can read it normal.

I'm not a character artist so I can't comment on the quality of the models (ie proper use of geo, edge loops and that crap). But your presentation is seriously hurting your work.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    The characters look good, they just deserve a better render. What software are you using?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jet_Pilot,
    I will have to re-render most of those stuff in a nicer way. I can't remember what I did with that object space normal. Been too long, but aye, I will re-render it along with all others.
    I thought I am presenting each project in similar ways, though. Not sure what I do wrong. For each project, I have 1-2 face shot, usually 3/4 view and maybe 1 with wireframe. A full body shot and maybe an upper body shot. Wireframe are Construction shot. While I don't have any of them posed yet, there's no Beauty shot.
    I'm learning zbrush, so no high poly sculpt yet. I have been doing mostly box modeling and poly-pulling for years, so that's mostly what I have in so far.

Thanks looprix,
    I use Maya mostly. Trying to learn zbrush atm.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You should texture your models and look at some well presented models.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I don't want this to sound bad or anything, but, take your face off of your site. Your potential employer doesn't need to see your face until they bring you in for an interview.

As others have said, the presentation is killing it.

I do like your modeling, but they need to be finished with textures.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Do you know how to use Mental Ray? (comes with Maya). If not try marmoset (easier). If you want to get into character art ZBrush is a must! Plus its easier then poly-pulling, barf.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    try something like this
    http://disanski.com/

large pictures that show off all the work you have done, yet easy to navigate.

Also, i don't know how old you are but Zbrush or Mudbox need to be at the top of your priority list if you seriously want to get into the game industry. Unless you want to only do small mobile games. No company is going to hire you to "learn" these tools. I would suggest some DVDs from Eat3d or something of that caliber.

Take your pic and your facebook off your site!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link.

Already took FB and my pic off now. Probably for the best :P
    And yes, I'm learning ZBrush atm. I love Eat3D the most, awesome stuff.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    There's not much to say right now. I think you really need to work on sharpening your skills with high-poly and texturing. Focus on that for awhile, break out of your comfort zone completely, do some studies studies, maybe some finished characters. Right now, nothing on your site seems finished.

The top character on your site is mostly flat colors and materials, and then has photo-sourced details in the texture for the area around her eyes and some blood on her face. It's very strange. Work on getting an entire model textured in a consistent style.

You need to learn a high-to-low workflow. A lot of the details you're including in the mesh would either be unnecessary, or handled differently if you were baking normal maps.

You have a lot of promise though I think, keep at it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My mind went blank everytime I start sculpting, body mesh or cloth or armor. Kind of like, well, sculpt what ?

I draw character (manga style). And I can draw muscular body with muscle flow. But I can't translate that to sculpting :(