Home General Discussion

First ever Game Designer job interview on Tuesday - Advice needed!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
I have my first ever game designer job interview on Tuesday and I'm bricking it. I'm notoriously bad at interviews, being very shy and rambling on not making sense. I really don't want to blow this, but at the same time, I have no idea how it's gonna go.. I've only ever been interviewed for shop assistant jobs etc. Any help or advice would be great!

Replies

• mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Try to be relaxed and take your time while answering questions. Also, if you there is something you don't understand or didn't hear, just ask, it will make everything easier.

Also, you might want to bring your resume and/or portfolio (printed or on a smartphone/tablet) since it will make seguing into another topic easier should you get stuck.

And of course ask questions about anything you want to know, it helps writing some down, but often you just need a couple since once you start talking about a certain topic the conversation will flow more naturally and you'll think of more questions along the way.

And make sure you have something prepared should you be faced with the classic "Tell me about yourself" scenario, which can be a paralysing question.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One suggestion, try asking them a lot of questions about the job, it makes you seem more interested in the position. Come up with a good list of what you want to know about the studio before you work at it.

Stuff like

What's the studio enviroment and culture like?

How many people are working in the studio?

How many different games do they work on at a time?

What is my job role going to be in the studio?

What's the average hardware setup?

How often does the studio crunch? Are they compensated at all? (PTO? Overtime?)

Etc

Also try asking your friends or family to do a mock interview (offer to take them out for lunch or get them a drink afterwards), give them some interview questions (you can find some online and add your own), but explain yourself so that they can understand what you do. If you can do that, you can definitely explain yourself to someone that actually works in the same field.

Is this an in person or phone interview?
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I know this is old school, but seems to have worked with me... take a printed school type binder or tablet portfolio with you. Printed better, it gives people the sense that your prepared and put some dedicated time. bring it out in between the interview. Some people in the interviews have literally never seen your portfolio they are just blindingly seeing you with a resume. Also it makes for a more relaxed conversation.

Offer them to see your printed or digital portfolio and talk about it a for a bit. The longer you can make a human to human conversation the better your chances.

ah mikhga beat me to the port thing... :) but yeah highly recommend that.
  • D.Carmine
    I had to interview a game designer once and one question I asked was "So what do you think of our website?". I ask that question because I want to see how informed the person I interview is. Did they do their research before they showed up? Are they aware of the kind of games we make? and etc. Do your research.

As a game designer, whenever I go to an interview I make sure to bring a few blank 8x11 sheets of paper and my sketch book full of all designs/sketches. Bring some blanks sheets of paper (and things to write with) in case you are asked to demonstrate some of your design. In one interview I had to design a few quick levels for the studio on the spot. Something like this happening is highly unlikely but be prepared.

Dress nice but not too nice. I usually go in something that reads as business casual. No need for a tux but please don't be that guy who comes in looking like a slob.

Listen to ZacD and mikhga.

- D. Carmine