Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice on portfolio website

Hello people of the internet,

I'm currently a student and had to make a portfolio website a while back. There are some parts that were never really finished and some parts that could be better. Now summer is coming (in name at least)I've got some free time and want to rebuild a lot on the site.

I'd appreciate any feedback at the current state of it. Some adjustments I intend to make are the homepage, better image gallery and a finished about me.

Here's the link:
http://torn-art.com/

My thanks in advance!

Replies

• homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    By no means am I super experienced but the unused space on the navigation bar doesn't look good in my opinion and is somewhat distracting. You could possibly fix that issue by just spreading out the buttons on your nav bar to get rid of the unused space.The grunge on your name sorta muddies your name and makes it difficult to read but maybe that's just me. I dig the motorcycle model! Hope these suggestions help :).
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    spend your time doing art instead of html

theres countless threads on quick free ways/services of creating nice portfolios,

also a good idea to check out how some of the awesome artists of the forum showcase their work here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80509 and follow their lead instead of re-inventing the wheel.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I'm in the same boat in that ill be updating my site as well. Best advise i can give,...

...Clean, professional, non flashy, presentation is everything. Don't let a flashy site overpower your art. Keep it simple and easy to navigate. Keep the focus on your art.

I use blogspot. Super simple- free site with lots of customization options.

I like how this guy presents his work in blogspot.

http://andrewclarkart.blogspot.com/
  • DaimyoTB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the input, I will definitly go check some other portfolios. Also reviewed my website a few times and took notes of what I was unhappy with.

-Homepage doesnt really give a good overllok of my stuff.
    -Portfolio is rather slow viewing, plus maybe a different way playing animation loops.
    -about/contact Had no CV. Will make one fully viewable plus a downlaod link.

Also will ask other people if they can read the name propperly.
    Thanks again!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Ditto - the art is all that matters. Do not waste time on html just dump a bunch of large images so we can scroll through. No one has time to learn how to navigate a new website.

this has been my experience in the industry

...I am not saying your site looks bad, it was easy to navigate and understand. don't get caught up on html crap. that's valuable time you could have used making artz.
  • DaimyoTB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably gonna hire another student for it, or gonna look through some templates. I'm not planning on wasting much time on that.