Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M84 stun grenade WIP + "organic" dagger

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Meteora polycounter lvl 8
I'm making a M84 stun grenade, otherwise known as a flashbang. My reasoning for doing something relatively simple is twofold: to get a better grasp at 3ds Max and to make sure I actually complete something from start to finish (I have a bad habit of dropping things midway). I want to make sure my fundamentals are actually in place before I start doing crazy things without prior knowledge of how I should be doing it.

Edit: The below two images are my reference.

m84stun.jpg
presentation_m84.jpg

I pretty much modelled the grenade according to the wireframe in the second image. The triangles is hovering about a thousand, which concerns me for something as small as that, especially when I still need to model a few additional pieces. I'm also unsure as to how to unwrap and how to use smooth groups to avoid hard edges, as I want to avoid adding extra verts in-game. But for now my biggest concern is to make sure the whole thing is done properly before I worry about those.

My actual model

ijh4IqP7VDa1X.png

Aside from the grenade, I had another problem that's been bothering me. I have this "organic dagger" piece I made a while back but never quite finished it like I wanted to. The problem is I have no idea how to make the shapes like the the ones in my reference (my crappy sculpting). And then I screwed up by not understanding the proper workflow, so I can't really retopologize without losing my polypaint.

It really pales in comparison to the actual reference.

ibkyBuBcuf3bxS.png
iK5cRAixBg0J0.png

This is the reference I was following:

1126497-blade3.png

Replies

• Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    The flashbang is already fired.
    The holes usualy house the charges, whichcan be seen as convace dimples, when not fired.

Common mistake.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Wait, the first image is your reference - I was thinking you were really great at rendering offline for the whole time, lol.

You need to step up your texturing, also use more polys. Nothing is uglier than supposed round things looking like a heptagon.

What you mainly miss is drybrushing, > edge highlights. Why didnt you keep that very tasteful color sheme of the real life reference ? Your bump is odd, there is too much space between the differences, or its facing the wrong direction.
    The base metal is decent, edge highlights will make tons of difference. Remake the ring atleast, its not even close to be round. Grenades are first person models.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    @Rumkugel: Not sure what you mean. I haven't been able to find another flashbang image of what you may have described, only slight variations between actual and airsoft models.

@Shrike: Sorry about that. I also think you took the second image as something I did, so I must apologize for that as well. I simply just modelled after those two images. But I will take note of your comment as I start to texture it later down the road. I'll add more polygons as you say, I thought 1k triangles was already enough for a flash bang.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Fired:
    cache_500_1__mb109072_473388e55832b95871a1fab14c57977f_mainpicjpg.img?7634

Not fired:
    cache_500_1__mb109072_b7a42020ae04b11a4d1bb95c0549cfb2_mainpicjpg.img?7409

Granted, its a diffrent type, and the cavity dont show too well on the unfired, but thats how they look.

Unless you want to throw duds into a room :P