Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rocket!.....Yeeeaah! (warning:Contains Boobies.)

ok so this is a run-time texture, all procedural, but its yet to be optimized.

so sick of rivets, little bastards.

for stuff like this I do actually bake a normal map, but its in the mid-detail range, and could probably be 1024, maybe 512.

in RAM every thing's 2048, but we got 8 gigs to work with now. ok so we cant use all 8, but come on, how much AI does it take to challenge a stoner?

rocket1.jpg
The Rocket.(satellite of love pending)

bakedNorm.jpg
boring baked normal.

procNorm.jpg

imaginary never exists til its needed normal.

dif.jpg

a dash of procedural color.

and of course...
bluefootedboobies.jpg

everything that's not a bird was done in Substance Designer.

Replies

• theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    is this the boobie I came here for?
    boobie.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rivets look more like stitches than rivets. It's partially the normal map, where the rivets intersect the seams, but mostly the vertical line connecting rivets in the diffuse.

I'd also reduce the contrast of the seams.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker: yeah the seams picked up more dirt and AO then intended.
    there's some direction noise for dirt streaks that comes off the rivets, is that possibly the vert line you mean, or should I offset them so they dont line up?

@Paul: for 2 years I've been waiting for this moment....someone finally circled something in red on one of my projects. thank you.

(it went away in the final texture, so I didn't bother to fix it)
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    I totally did not come here for boobs.

I lied.

I agree with what DWalker said, the rivets do look more like stitches than actual rivets.

I would presume that you'd need a spec map, but what do I know. What's up with the normals on the top left?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I like the overall look, but right now the seams are so tight that they might as well not even be in the normal map. Thats part of the problem with the rivets as well, a little softer on the inset, and it'll help sell it.

Also, lighten up the black in the seams on the dif a good bit, that doesn't help with the total destruction thats going on there.

Really dig the style and color scheme, however.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    For anyone that was lured in by the promise of boobies and disappointed with none present:

man-boobs.jpg

I like it, the style's really cool. I guess the spec could use some work, kind 'plastic-ey' atm.