Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concepting in Zbrush

Hi all, I recently started using Zbrush and have taken quite a liking to it. I have started to do some concepting, and research into the best methods for creating concepts using both Zbrush and Photoshop. I believe that the best tools to start with are ShadowBox, Dynamesh or Zspheres depending on the subject. I will then use polypainting and basic posing to rough out what it will look like, then render out various images using different materials and composite them in photoshop. I will then touch up the images and paint in light ect.
I started by doing a character and an asset to set a baseline for further concepts. I began with the rock and spent around 40 mins in zbrush and an hour in photoshop. I then did a character, some sort of spirit, which took around one and a half hours in zbrush and two hours photoshop (i got a bit carried away :)). I will post the prosses shortly.

Replies

• Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First asset concept - 2 hours

I began with a cube, sub divided it a few times and turned on dynamesh.

rock01_zpsa85cd864.jpg

After a while it started to look like a rock

rock02_zpsfc1277b6.jpg

I did some basic poly painting and rendered out various images

rock03_zpse42eb9ec.jpg

Composited them in photoshop and did some basic paint overs

rock04_zpsa4861ffd.jpg
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First character concept - 3.5 hours

Began with a sphere, and used dynamesh agian

goast01_zps57640821.jpg

Created the basic shape

goast02_zps68e70c62.jpg

Added detail and some poly paint

goast03_zps3119c6c3.jpg

And finaly spent a little to long in photoshop :P

goast04_zps1a374800.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm going to have to argue, with simple forms like this, why not just pump these out in Photoshop purely?

Like, I get how Zbrush could be used to concept, but I don't think it's fast enough when you need to pump out several very vastly different ideas instead of just several versions of a helmet.

I'd say if you're purely looking to do concept art, just keep working in 2D until it's absolutely necessary to use ZBrush.
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply,
    This is actually an personal research assignment that I am doing at collage, after your last post I modified my brief slightly and had to get the OK from my teacher. This isn't purely about concepting, its about creating a final concept piece for marketing that will resemble the final product, without having to use reference for sculpting.
    I am new to zbrush, so I thought that I would keep it simple, however I do plan to create some more advanced concepts as I improve as this assignment is mainly about improving my skills in zbrush and photoshop.

I was told to post up my brief, so here is the brief version

"I plan to improve my skills in concepting Using Zbrush and Photoshop by creating a number of character and asset designs and highlighting a range of tools that improve speed and quality in zbrush, such as ShadowBox, Dynamesh, Zspheres, polypainting and basic posing.
    For all concepts I plan to already have approval, doing some basic sketches and thumbnails, then use zbrush to create a basic sculpt, before using photoshop to create a final concept piece for marketing that will resemble the final product and reference will not be required for sculpting.
    I will start in zbrush using ShadowBox, Dynamesh or Zspheres to create a base mesh, sculpt in major features and basic detail. I will then use polypainting to define different materials and render out various Materials(zbrush shaders), essentially getting various render layers, to then be composited and touched up in photoshop.
    I will provide written documentation on each tool I found the most useful, as well as a video of me using the tools to create a final concept and images of other final concepts that i created using the same pipeline."
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I'm still a noob at sculpting, but i've learned that rocks are all about silhouette. So for the rocks, try to do more sharp angles with the trim dynamic brush, the trim smooth border or trim adaptive. Put the alpha 28 (the square) to be more efficient with the effect. You can clean up your surface with the H polish brush or the flatten brush.

Your character seems a little bumpy. Did you work in low poly resolution first?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    no matter what program you decide to use make sure you get lots of references for your subject and don't just "wing" these concepts. Every great concept artist I have known gets a ton of reference pics before they even begin to draw anything.

So for example with the last one, if you wanted to make some tribal genie guy, I would look for genie images, general anatomy images for his body, possibly some interesting effects to render out for glowy bits, and various tribal masks and stuff like that. Mix and match put it all together and discover your own forms and unique concept.

Good luck!
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice,
    I created a portal inspired mech head, after building up an idea and looking at some reference, I used Dynamesh to get the basic shape, then the masking tool and hard polish to smooth it out and apply poly-paint. i then used Photoshop to composite the image and apply basic layer-styles. I believe that shadowbox would be very useful to begin a hard surface object, but i am still learning zbrush and will test this out on future projects.
    I believe that the power of 3D concepting comes from being able to see the idea from all angles. In future i will be concentrating on producing 4+ angles for each sculpt, minimizing time in Photoshop, using it more as a composting program, looking into writing Photoshop actions to speed up workflow.

[IMG][/img]switchheadcomp_zpsd72022fe.jpg

[IMG][/img]switchheadrawimages_zpsb9933046.jpg
    Render layers
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when you're concepting, are you planning to do several iterations? I think a lot of times what people forget that concept art actually involves more ideation than rendering a singly object. Multiple variations, multiple thumbnails. As far as the body of work we're seeing, this is just speed sculpting, not a strong concept demonstration, or at least concept in a very thin way.

Knock out more than one sculpt per idea. The name of the game is ideation which requires some breadth of volume.

I won't beleaguer you about using ZBursh to do concept work since it seems this is all tied with an indepedently guided cirriculum you've tied in with your uni class.
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since my last post i have been doing some research into ways to streamline my workflow. This includes photoshop droplets, zbrush hotkeys and wacom macros.
    My plan is to set up zbrush macros to change materials, render and save out images. Then set up a photoshop droplet to import and composite all the render passes. Once i have set these up i plan to use my wacom tablet to create a master macro that will jump between programs, render and composite all at the touch of a button.
    This should make 3D concepting much quicker and more feasible. Once i have refined this process i will post up the results
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How will these macros help you create multiple iterations on one idea?
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have started to sculpt my models to a basic form before saving, sculpting in detail, coming up with a final product then going back to the basic model and repeating to get various results.

I was trying to improve the speed that i could produce work as this is the major limitation i have been facing. However zbrush seems to have a problem where you can not make a hotkey for saving out a rendered image, which has ruined my plan.

I agree that zbrush is not a concepting tool, nor is 3D concepting feasible at present. What i am looking into is what 3D concepting is good for, as it is likely that new programs will emerge that will be better for 3D concepting.
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So these are some concepts for a game i am working on, i sculpted the body first, then tried a few variations

Comp1_zpsbf530b51.jpg

bullcomp1_zps63468456.jpg

tribalcomp3_zps9c02d191.jpg

As you can see they are fairly similar, I would have liked to modify the bodies more but chose not to because of time constraints.
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush is a great program for creating high detailed models, however doesn’t offer the correct tools to be used for 3D concepting. The concepts i developed took far too long and would have been much better using a 2D program such as Photoshop.
    This isn't really a surprise, as it isn't what zbrush is designed for, however it did help me develop my skills in zbrush which was one of the reasons for choosing to research this topic.
  • Sinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As my research project draws to an end i have to post up my final thoughts on 3D concepting.
    3D concepting is good for getting a very strong concept, allowing an idea to be fully explored, however, Zbrush does not offer the correct tools for it to be a viable 3D concepting program,
    A 3D concepting program need to be able to create highly polished content very quickly (possibly by limiting customisation), allow for rapid iteration of a single model, focusing on strong material definition, better painting tools, post rendering effects and good compositing tools.

A big thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and helped me one my way