SunSetter polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone,

Some graphics for the game Noverat.
Enjoy!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The character seems too small for the environment, unless the dungeon was designed by/for giants. Doorways appear to be ~15' (5m) tall, with 25' (8m) ceilings.

I wonder if the environment would work better with darker ceilings.

On the skeleton, I'd probably add some asymmetry to his(?) clothes - make one pant leg reach all the way to the boots, and the other sleeve reach the gloves. The clothes also seem like a very tight fit considering how much weight he's lost since he last dressed; I'd make them much looser overall, especially around the shoulders & arms. Glowing eye sockets might be a good idea - they'd let you add some interesting colored highlights while increasing the creepy factor. For the bone color, I'd recommend either a yellow or brown shade, depending upon how long he's been dead.

I think the fixed camera is going to cause control & visibility problems in the long run. I'd advise experimenting with a number of different options (follow cam, lagging follow cam, spline cam) early in development, and get play testers (i.e. people other than the developers ;) ) to give some feedback about which they like & dislike. Letting the camera rotate will cause some problems (notably creating the 4th wall and figuring out how to hide whichever walls are in front), I believe the improved gameplay will be worth the effort.

I'd also advise providing early gamepad support, especially those from Xbox 360s. Not only are the controllers common, but it will also simplify things if you decide to publish a console version later. The twin sticks will also let the player control the character with one stick, while spinning the camera around with the other.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply DWalker!

The env scale is designed to be like this.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Not so long ago I started helping SunSetter on the game. So here is my contribution(sculpting and initial low poly). More to come as things are made so check back from time to time :) Enjoy and leave a comment.
    statue_zbrush_screen.jpg
    in_game_preview_max.jpg
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been busy working on a master material for different object classes. Here is the metal material. Hope you like it!
    http://youtu.be/4In_-CIoefw
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hah I know of this game! Looking good so far! :) I like the statue sculpt. Very cool. Can't wait to see this game finished.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a nice material overall, but I'm not sure it's what I'd expect to see in a sword that's been in a dungeon for a few decades. I'd expect to see evidence of rust (or verdigris for bronze), patina, and pitting; skeletons aren't known for their meticulous metal care... The following examples show a steel sword that's a bit under 2 centuries old, and a bronze sword that's over 2 millennia:
    127128.jpg
    turquiose1mg5.jpg
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dwalker,
    Your are correct! but given the overall style being handpainted and fantasy and not overly realistic I think the metal you saw it's not just steel. When the novel is ready you'll see that in Kalandria there were different types of metals that blacksmiths use in making weapons.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the early days of development, the main character was done with the help of artquest. A big thank you Joel!
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update!
    finished a small room yesterday.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for the lack of updates on this thread.I didn't post anything because I was learning UDK materials and Cascade, but lately I managed to finish some textures for the first settlement, finished a new sword that's part of an in game event and added a few lighting elements in the scene.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update with some spiderwebs done by SsSandu_C and FX work done by me. The fire flipbook was provided by Matt Schwartz.

http://youtu.be/jkjnwwz12sg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    the ground tiles are huge..
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man i love it. keep it up. really great work.
  • nimlot26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nimlot26 polycount lvl 666
    Nice work. I know this game for some time and watched the progress.....this looks better and better...good job.
    Btw...i like the fire fx...a lot.
  • TheMasquerader
    Great job on the FX!