Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CryEngine] Exterior Environment [WIP]

Hey everyone, I've been lurking the forums for quite a while and posting the odd thing in WAYWO and a few more threads.

I've finally decided to create my own thread to document my creation process of an environment, as well as getting some much-needed feedback and critique. I've got a bit of downtime during work at the moment to focus on my portfolio. I'm also going to try to put as much free time into it too.

I'm currently on my placement year in a small game studio working on serious/educational games in Unity.

This is the concept I've chosen to create. It's from the inspiration3d Tumblr and was created by Artyom Vlaskin.

tumblr_mieu99KrS61s6o4nio5_1280.jpg

My main aims are:

-Learn more about CryEngine.
-Improve my high-poly to low-poly workflow.
-Use sculpting programs like Mudbox and Zbrush to define surface and texture.
-Try to use as few photo-sourced textures as possible.
-Create something that aims to be true to a concept.

Thanks

-G

Replies

• Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EnvironmentBlockoutColour.PNG

I've not started the modeling yet, but I've gone over and tried to come up with some sort of asset list for the large objects in the scene. I didn't realise how many assets there are, but there seems to be a good variety of materials for me to try to recreate.

Any tips on this process is most welcome.

-G
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    I have seen this project on here already... what

Oh so it's not your own creation! I see. Funny thing is, there's another guy who re-created this piece in CE3. Ill search my posts and link it here, might be of use!

So far so good!

--

Found it!
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103877

Cheers!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Don't let the fact that someone else used the concept stop you. Just tell a different story with your environment.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Wonkey wrote: »
    Don't let the fact that someone else used the concept stop you. Just tell a different story with your environment.

This, give it your own twist :)
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for finding the other thread ThaSlimShady, I'll look over it and see how they approached it.

I was a little put off doing it, but I'll add some sort of twist to it like you and Wonkey suggested. I'll be posting a blockout soon. :)
  • realeyez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realeyez polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like the other guy didn't even finish. I wouldn't worry about it even if he did though.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I nearly used that concept! Don't worry that someone else has used it, just do it better. This has a kinda neutral lighting in the concept, you could do a decent job of the scene and do a couple of different shots at different times of the day. Doing this at night for instance would really make it your own.
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    I nearly used that concept! Don't worry that someone else has used it, just do it better. This has a kinda neutral lighting in the concept, you could do a decent job of the scene and do a couple of different shots at different times of the day. Doing this at night for instance would really make it your own.

Night time lighting sounds like it could interesting, I like it!

I'd like to make the environment look more run-down than the image as well as give an impression that somethings happened. Like Wonkey mentioned - I'd like for the environment to tell a story.

I still need to finalise an asset list, including the smaller things I've missed off the colour blockout.

I want to make it so that if I can work into it, I could also include an interior. From the concept it looks like a mechanics or something?
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other thread seems abandoned and only half done. Don't be put off by it.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with everybody else. Don't let anything or anyone stop you from making something YOU WANT! I want to see progress soon or else!!!! :P
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for all the positivity so far everyone.

I've started on the level blockout in CryEngine and have decided to build it so that there's also an interior. I'll be primarily focusing on the exterior, so to do that I need to decide on what the place is.

Level__0002_Layer-2.png

Note: The box in the middle of the gates is a reference for the character.

Level__0000_Layer-4.png

I've decided to get rid of some windows from the sides of the building. 4 looks like too many, especially of there's things up against those walls. I've also added the skylights and the hatch in the corner for roof access.

Level__0003_Layer-6.png

Shot of the interior.

Level__0001_Layer-5.png

Judging from the concept I'm thinking that the area is a private car park for a mechanics or something. On the last screenshot I'm going to add some large garage doors.

Feedback as always is welcome. :)
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update.

I've had a load of problems getting my level to work on my computer at home, as well as Mudbox crashing (needed the most recent service pack) but It's all sorted now.

I've been working on the concrete pillar. The original plan was to have one that I could just repeat along, however I got a bit carried away and made it look a bit too unique, so I'm planning on sculpting a second. The top part of the pillar is also separate so I can spin it around to break apart that modularity.

I like the look of the original concept, however I'm going to try to make it more my own by having more of a dirty, grungy feel to it - That and I'm playing The Last of Us at the moment, so that's bound to have some influence. :D

ConcreteColumn.PNG
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Ha! I just came across this thread! To justify what has been said..Yes I have sacked it! It was meant to be a final project for my degree but I changed my mind. I agree with what everyone else is saying and I not offended if you want to have a stab at it too :)
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! I just came across this thread! To justify what has been said..Yes I have sacked it! It was meant to be a final project for my degree but I changed my mind. I agree with what everyone else is saying and I not offended if you want to have a stab at it too :)

Hehe, thanks Chris. I read through your thread and got a few tips/ideas from what you'd done already :). Shame you never finished it.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, subscribed :D

I think your first asset has very jelly edge on this broken edge. The bottom damage looks ok, but this damage above not.

Textures are preety well done, but some planning could mor pop up them. Maybe this leaking decal from the "jelly" damaged edge you can remove.

I think you have to pinch your edges right there on the sculpt.

Sorry for PRO english.
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, subscribed :D

I think your first asset has very jelly edge on this broken edge. The bottom damage looks ok, but this damage above not.

Textures are preety well done, but some planning could mor pop up them. Maybe this leaking decal from the "jelly" damaged edge you can remove.

I think you have to pinch your edges right there on the sculpt.

Sorry for PRO english.

Thanks for the feedback, and subscribing! :O I cant seem to find a tool in Mudbox that gives me the effect I want, but I can see what you mean about the jelly edge :)

I put the asset into CryEngine before just to get myself used to the import process and the material editor. Pain in the ass, but I got there in the end.

ColumnCryEngine.png

Here's a picture of the sculpt too:

Column_Sculpt.PNG
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I think using a flatten planar tool or something similar in mudbox (I don't use it for sculpting) would solve your jelly problem.

nPrF2N1.png
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    I think using a flatten planar tool or something similar in mudbox (I don't use it for sculpting) would solve your jelly problem.

Thanks for such detailed feedback beefaroni. I've made some changes to the sculpt:

ConcreteBetter.png
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Your pillar:

Your sculpt definitely has improved, but the damage almost feels like its been almost 'weather polished', meaning over time the damage was smoothed out. That works for sea rocks and olllddddddd stairs, and such, but for this instance I think the damage should definitely be more fresh than in your current sculpt. Its all too mushy still and rounded where the brick or concrete would have been chipped away.

As for the texture, I feel its reading super noisy right now, but the overall damage, wear, and main shade/tint break up is nice. Possibly could benefit from some more subtle color variation.

The scene:

I think right now you are spending too much time on polishing one piece at a time. I think you should definitely look into a trim/atlas texture sheet for your walls/floor tilesets, it will help with continuity, cohesiveness, and will also allow you to pump out major assets quickly. You could then use vertex painting to break up the obvious tiling. With the trim sheet you can get some solid major assets in the scene quickly and can start establishing big shapes, and less rudimentary block out. With my blockouts, I try to get the major big, medium, and small details, as well as base lighting into the 'grey' scene ASAP. Its amazing how you can bring a scene to life with just establishing your overall silhouettes and lighting. If you scene looks good with blockout meshes, with your completed assets, you are going to kick some major ass.

Sorry for the wall of text, goodluck with the project!! :)
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    Your pillar:

Your sculpt definitely has improved, but the damage almost feels like its been almost 'weather polished', meaning over time the damage was smoothed out. That works for sea rocks and olllddddddd stairs, and such, but for this instance I think the damage should definitely be more fresh than in your current sculpt. Its all too mushy still and rounded where the brick or concrete would have been chipped away.

As for the texture, I feel its reading super noisy right now, but the overall damage, wear, and main shade/tint break up is nice. Possibly could benefit from some more subtle color variation.

The scene:

I think right now you are spending too much time on polishing one piece at a time. I think you should definitely look into a trim/atlas texture sheet for your walls/floor tilesets, it will help with continuity, cohesiveness, and will also allow you to pump out major assets quickly. You could then use vertex painting to break up the obvious tiling. With the trim sheet you can get some solid major assets in the scene quickly and can start establishing big shapes, and less rudimentary block out. With my blockouts, I try to get the major big, medium, and small details, as well as base lighting into the 'grey' scene ASAP. Its amazing how you can bring a scene to life with just establishing your overall silhouettes and lighting. If you scene looks good with blockout meshes, with your completed assets, you are going to kick some major ass.

Sorry for the wall of text, goodluck with the project!! :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. So you're saying for me to start big and block out the main structures and then go smaller.

I'd never thought of using a texture atlas for my main structures, and I'll need to look into vertex painting in CryEngine.

All these great responses and crit are just motivating me to want to succeed with this project. I should have done this a long time ago. :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Well it depends on your specific workflow, and how you like to work. But from what I have gathered working on environments, is I personally prefer to get the major shapes together ASAP. Try to plan out what sections will need which models, what to model, etc. Then go into your 3D software of choice, and then start building out those silhouettes and try to get those in engine ASAP and block out the scene. This will really bring the scope of the project into view, and will really give you an idea of what you will need, what to focus on, where your focal point is, allow you to get lighting etc. And then off of the blockout shapes, start building the models, and as you make major progress on models, I like to then get those into engine and see how they read depending on their importance. I do this will major hero props, major repeating world building assets, etc.

And then from there I just kinda keep refining. Like I said before, the silhouettes, shape break up, material break, and mood/focal point are key, and all of which can be established with a simple block out surprisingly.

As for the texture sheets, absolutely! Make tileable textures, throw them on a atlas, and go to town. Helps out in a huge way, with pumping out main world building assets, shows you can be efficient, and when you spend enough time planning and working around keeping the scene unique and detail oriented, you can never tell. Simple shader tricks, vertex painting and blending, and other tricks of the trade go long ways.

I am no master, far from it, but this is what I have gathered from professors, peers, and my inspiration, as well as the wonderful community here on Polycount (seriously one of the best things to ever happen to (3D) game artists in my opinion). Best of luck man.
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I'd replied to you Add3r, looks like I didn't post it. Thanks for the great advice.

One thing I was a bit confused about was how to make an atlas that I can tile a brick texture accross? Would I have to do it so the brick stretches all the way accross the texture (so the top half of a 2k texture would be a 2048x1024 brick, with other chunks underneath.) OR, build my model so it was essentially split into modular 1024x1024 chunks?

Also been looking into sculpting and baking some tiling textures:

First Attempt (Bit jelly):
    TileBrick01.png

Second Attempt:
    TileBrick03.PNG

Third Attempt:
    TileBrick02.PNG

Specular is a bit high, but it was just so I could see the normals properly. Not much work to show in the scene as I'm just rebuilding assets over the top of the blockout. Will have more to show soon. :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Your three attempts are the exact reason practice is everything. You can see definite progress in different areas across all three attempts. The third, is absolutely your best. Keep it up man!

As for the texture atlas, yes, that is how I do it. Essentially just cutting each section into 1024 squares, or having each tile-able texture that will be used on walls and such as a separate texture and then having minor trims and stuff on another atlas. Either way works, and it really comes down to what you prefer really. Those two methods can even be used in parallel with each other, it really comes down to how you plan on building out the scene.

With how technology is progressing, a lot of devs are starting to make just tileable textures, throwing them together in one larger "texture" atlas as like a 4096 or something of the sort, and using just that one texture across an entire built level. You have one heavier draw instead of like 15-20 medium sized one. A lot of processing data compressed into one load, much more efficient. Once again though, really comes down to how you plan on building out the scene, 90% of it will be circumstantial, hence why there is no just golden answer to efficiency when it comes to environment building.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Add3r, there's a huge difference between all three textures. The third one is definitely the best.

As far as using atlases, I personally prefer having my tileables separate and the small stuff like trims and random world assets on a larger sheet. Keeping the tiles separate gives me more control over how a mesh UVs with it. I can switch up the tiling a little easier too, with one building using smaller bricks, while another uses larger bricks, all with the same texture.
  • LiquidSpacie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen this scene long time ago. Someone didn't finished it, was that you?
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for some great advice guys, I really appreciate it.

@LiquidSpacie - That wasn't me. :) The original guy posted in the thread earlier on, it give me a good starting point for my project.

I've not been able to do much work on this lately as I've had some personal stuff going on, however I'm going to get some done this weekend. (screw the sun. :P)