Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max 2011-2014 freezes on start up the whole PC for 10 minutes - HELP PLEASE!

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Maks polycounter lvl 15
Hi, like discribed in the Title all newer Versions of 3Ds MAX are Freezing on start for around 5 - 10 minutes and all my other programms with it.
The Problem occures since I reinstalled my Windows (new SSD).
Before everything was fine and I never had a similiar Problem.
The PC is more than powerfull enough (AMD X6/16gb Ram/ 670GTX) and really should'nt be the Problem.
I'm using a Student License.

Things I tried so far without a change:
- installing on SSD and HHD
- installing 2011/2013/2014 and tried x64 as well as the x64 Version
- reinstalling Windows (Ultimate x64) again

My suggestion is that the Problem is connected with the License Check on Start up with the Process FNPLicensingService64.exe.

If you got any idea or hint please let me know because I tried everthing and the problem is really annoying.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine did that the first time it launched but every time after that it has gone just as fast as past launches.

What version of windows are you running?
    Do you have any firewall, virus scanners or ad blockers running?
    Maybe try shutting down all but the basics using task manager and see if that makes a difference, if it works then you can turn them on in batches and see which one is the problem.
    If all else fails maybe check out the autodesk install/licensing forums (which is not the AREA) http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    -did you get all updates; windows and 3ds max?
    -did you install some plugins? For 99% lags, errors ect. are caused by some additional tools\plugins.
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 15
    Hi, thanks for the fast answers.

I`ve installed every Update for Max and Windows.
    The Windows version is Ultimate X64.

The Problem occured also after a fresh reinstall of Windows so it does'nt seem to be connected with other Tools. I got the Problem also with Microsoft Security Essentials, Kaspersky and now without any kind of security software.

Thanks for the link I will there start a new topic, maybe they know something.

I hope you got some more ideas :poly122:
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I have the same issue at home with 2013, but mine is just under 3 minutes. I thought it had to do with antivirus. But I re-installed Windows 7 (for other reasons) and installed only 3ds Max, but the issue persists. Maya does it too for me.

At work startup is really fast.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Happens to me too, and I came to the same conclusion (Licensing check). Doesn't happen each time, though..
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    3dsmax 2012 stopped making me headache by applying the patches on this page:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?id=2334435&linkID=9241178&siteID=123112

But still, it would have higher crash probability, so like a lot of burned heads here i stick with 3dsMax2010 and not further.
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 15
    Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I've installed all updates and Hotfixes.

I've submitted my problem to the autodesk Forum. Besides some random tips like clean your Temp Folder, I didn't got any help.

Is there some official personal support? I've tried there Support Chat but the guy told me to wait for a answer in the Forum. But they are not anwsering for 24h.

Any Ideas?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I can't do much than this, since we experience the very same issues that your facing with 3dsMax. We are in the same boat. 3dsMax2012-2014 are experiments.

Maybe try "msconfig" in the Run command-prompt and remove any unnecessary underlying programs.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You never said if it was windows vista, 7, or 8, just ultimate, which doesn't give us a number.
  • Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 15
    :poly122: Sorry, it was Windows 7.

But I gave up. I will use my old HDD with my old Windows where 3Ds Max runs, and sell my SSD. In the end it seems to be a Problem between my Motherboard and my SSD.

Shitty solution but I cant efford to loose more time and energy on this shit.

However, thanks for the help and the suggestions.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Updating the firmware of the SSD might help as well (if there's already an update available).
    I had BSODs on my M4 Crucial after 5000 hours runtime, installed the latest firmware and everything works fine now.

What kind of SSD did you buy?