Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

You guys mind giving a guy with no experience some critisism?

Hello all!

I made this thread for the purpose of improving my skills in 3D modeling, now what I have done is made a bunch of models for TF2. From designing to Modeling to compiling to Uploading to the Steam Workshop.

Here's my Workshop files: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021416439/myworkshopfiles/?appid=440

I don't want to be cocky, but I actually think my models are good. I can safely say i am proud of my accomplishments. Each model was made from scratch in Blender and passed between Maya and 3Ds Max as I was and still am learning. All of my experience is in those workshop files, which in turn I learned by just doing quick tutorials and just messing around figuring out what button did what.

What I am mainly asking for is how I can improve as a better modeler, am i cutting corners? missing steps? I have no clue.

Thanks in advance,

Harry.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Draw. Every. Day.

In a sketchbook.

Seriously, good 3D artists are good Draughtsmen.

The TF2 items look simple enough. I don't have anything to cpmplain besides the raw appeal of the concepts you've gone forward with.
  • RubberNinja125
    Draw. Every. Day.

In a sketchbook.

Seriously, good 3D artists are good Draughtsmen.

The TF2 items look simple enough. I don't have anything to cpmplain besides the raw appeal of the concepts you've gone forward with.

I can understand why drawing is important, what do you mean by raw appeal? the fact that they are just simple concepts?

I have no real experience, by the way.
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 13
    Your models aren't bad, but they aren't terribly complex either, so I don't have much to say on that front. If you are looking for advice here's what I would say:

I'm a professional 3D artist doing photoreal renderings. The biggest growth I saw was working for a boss that required almost perfect replication of real world furniture. Whether you are drawing or modeling (I don't draw that much. I like modeling and zbrushing way more) don't just do it every day, but do something that is hard, and that already exists. That way you can look at it, really criticize it and modify your models little by little till you achieve a realistic result. By only modeling concepts of things you draw, or model things out of your head, you are cutting corners and skipping steps (without realizing it) by not having to conform to how something is really built. You won't develop the eye for curves, geometry and how things logically are built and go together. You won't build up your visual library with details that really make something look real. I met tons of kids at art school that would brush off a critique of not matching a concept by saying that they were "stylizing it" or they had a "cartoony style". I love cartoony and stylized art, but it's too often an excuse to be lazy. Concepts by their nature tend to be loose in some areas forcing the 3D artist to make up stuff. So my overall advice is to go to some furniture sites that have furniture of varying degrees of difficulty and build those. If you want less level building and more character art, find actual pictures of real items like guns, canteens, pencils, jackets, pants etc. and build them exactly like they are shown. Go to a store and take reference pictures if you can't find any good google ones.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Roxxor wrote: »
    ... you are cutting corners and skipping steps (without realizing it) by not having to conform to how something is really built.

Entire post is full of truth, This bit is of particular importance in my opinion. The way I look at game art, You will be contributing material to an idea that will ultimately form a cohesive world. A universe, Even. In the only world we know, As humans(and artists), Things are created with logic. Not only objects, but materials, Textures, Particles, Etc.

As stated above, The best way to create something that doesn't exist in a convincing manner is to learn how to create things that do exist in a convincing manner. I'd dare say it will always be easier to work backwards from complete realism toward cartoony, and stylized, But moving forward from those will be a challenge.

Look at some of the great artists in history that appeared to "devolve" into things like Cubism, and impressionism. Those artist could draw out a nearly flawless anatomical man before they starting making everything into simple colors and shapes ;)

Edit: Kinda needless to say, I agree with most others in this thread. Now that you've built an interest and kinda found a direction, dig in, and push forward. tutorials, How to's, Read/study lots of the good stuff here on poly count. Find things that are awesome to you, And analyze them until you understand why. Then Emulate them. Not saying copy everyone else, but if you learn that that chamfering an edge has a more controlled falloff and less "mash potato-y" appearance, Use that knowledge on your next model. Don't' just look at other peoples work, See it. Study it. understand it.
  • RubberNinja125
    Thanks for the help guys! I understand that my current models are pretty basic, plain and simple, But I believe I've made a good start.

I can only go up from here, tutorials, videos and books are my friends, Hopefully I can eventually turn this hobby into a job, obviously It's going to take some time, But this is something that I can be passionate about, It's something that peaks my interest, I'm always looking at other peoples models, made in Max, Maya and or Zbrush and my jaw in on the floor.

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into making a model, especially when you are inexperienced like me >.<

Thanks again guys!