Home Technical Talk

Questions oh questions...

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Meteora polycounter lvl 8
I've been trying to avoid asking questions on this forums, figuring that I can probably just search for the answers I need. Also helps me look less foolish. But sometimes you don't get the answer you seek for or you're just incompetent at finding those answers. Either way, I'm a naive guy with a lot of questions who recently graduated from a 3D course, but I'll just bring forth the most pressing questions.

As someone who is fairly still incompetent at making art assets, I want to keep working at it because I know nobody is going to hire someone they have to teach. Unfortunately I have doubting concerns that even if I did make quality art, my lack of work experience will hold me back, never mind the constant +2 years of experience requirement in the industry. I literally have no work experience. I know its a silly question, but would working as a freelance qualify as work experience? Or should I just suck it up and work at something like McDonalds?

I want to work as an environment artist having switched over from the animation side of things thinking of how easy it would be (how wrong I was), but I really adore the idea of making beautiful and cool characters. What's the likelihood of getting in as an environment artist and then slowly transitioning into character modelling as say a side project, 2-3 years down the road? Its funny, I'm literally a headless chicken with no directions on what I want to really do. My primary concern is landing myself a job first.

Lately I've been exploring other 3D software to expand my competency outside of Maya. I've only been working in Maya for one year, I feel fairly comfortable working in it (have been for a while). Is it better if I just kept sticking to it, despite feeling fairly well versed in it? I'm fairly sure I don't know much in the grand scheme of things however. I did feel like I was one of the quickest software learners in my class, but hey what do I know?

I guess the last question is it a terribly good idea to even try to get a job when my wrists are already suffering from pain? Yes I mean carpel tunnel. I visited two doctors and they say there's nothing wrong, but I know very well I have it. I'm pretty sure someone is screaming at their monitor saying I'm an idiot, especially when I paid my tuitions to learn 3D when I had this injury. I can't imagine myself doing anything outside the arts on the computer. Making art is one of my only hobbies since I was a kid. I don't want to drop my dreams, but being partially disabled doesn't help in this hyper competitive industry.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Work experience is not important when going for entry-level positions. They put a lot of "requirements" on job listings, but don't let that dissuade you. If you really want that spot, apply for it!

Game art is pretty egalitarian. If your portfolio rocks, and you're not a complete failure at communication, then you can get work.

Freelance doesn't really count as work experience, unless you're onsite. What they're really looking for with this is an understanding of the game dev process, from pre-production to shipping, and what it's like working in a team environment. And if you're going for a Senior or Lead role, it's that plus management skills and some other stuff.

Env vs characters... focus on one role and get good at it. If your heart isn't in environments, it will show in the interview (and in your portfolio). If you want a Character Artist job, get any old job just to pay the bills, and work on your art after hours. It will take a couple years to get good enough to be hire-able. If you want it, stick with it!

Maya is fine.

Fix your wrist NOW. Learn about ergonomics before it's too late. Adjust your seat, desk, monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc. to avoid stressing out your body. Eat healthy, decent sleep, regular exercise. Take care of the core.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. I think I'll try to commit myself to trying to make characters every day for an hour, at least on the face. I'm always unsure of what I want to do and that's always troubling for me. Thanks for the answer.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I never understand the whole "I need to do x amount" or "how do I stay motivated?". I have no idea how much I do 3D, because I do it for fun and I get lost in it. I find myself shrugging off my online friends often, launching 3DS Max and being like YEAH TIME TO MAKE ART.

So basically my advice is to enjoy it, don't force it. Let it come naturally, and it will be a lot more pleasant. Do it because you want to, not because you need to get X job in X amount of time. I'm doing a really crappy job to keep myself going at the moment, but I don't worry about it because I'm doing 3D in my spare time and hopefully I will eventually get good enough to get a 3D career.

You sound really divided and unsure of what you really want to do. I'd play around with all of it a whole bunch, and I'm sure you will find what your forte is. You don't want to end up doing X and really wishing you had done Y. That being said there is no reason you can't do X at work and learn Y at home.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose to some its a measure of success relative to time. If you cannot get where you are in a set amount of time, some question their ability to enter into the industry. This can be very detrimental to one's morale, but also can serve as a reality check for those not so talented (though effort can certainly take you to places). Maybe it may help them to push harder, or just help them set a standard regular schedule to keep improving yourself, even if you don't like it.

I know for myself I get on and off about doing 3D work. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a roll and will keep working without skipping a beat. Other times I don't feel like doing anything. At home I'm not particularly disciplined at working compare to doing it at school or outside of the comfort of my house. So trying to fill in a quota every day, at least trying to fulfill that quota will probably help me slowly to becoming a better artist. You could argue that, if an artist loses or doesn't have any passion that he probably shouldn't be in the industry to begin with. I do have some concerns about me being motivated enough to keep doing this for the rest of my life, despite the fact that I cannot imagine me doing anything else with my life outside of computer graphics.

And you have a point. Despite my apparent desperation to get a job, I probably should think carefully on what I exactly want to do. I only decided to do environment modelling because I know I'm not up to par with character modelling, especially when I put my focus on animation. I don't mind environment/prop modelling. But it feels kinda boring compare to making cool characters. Maybe I'll try to juggle between the two, I'm not a terribly great animator despite an additional love for storytelling.

Sigh decisions, decisions.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Personally I never needed the whole "reality check" thing, because I have naturally low self-esteem, and I need it the other way around: I need to remind myself that I am improving. Everyone is different of course. I'm lucky in that I have a family who are willing to put up with me while I work towards my goal. I can take my time and not get burnt out doing it.

If you really want to do characters, work at it. Even if you don't think you are making much progress, sometimes it takes a while for things to really click into place. Characters are really different from general hard surface modelling, so it's expected that you would be below par if you haven't been doing them as long. With characters, from what I hear generally it's extremely useful to be able to draw and to have a good understanding of anatomy. So I'd look into learning those if you haven't already. Personally I'd give it my all until I met my personal "dead end" scenario. This is, for me, the theoretical situation that I find myself having not improved in a large span of time. This is my reality check. I'll keep working to get into the industry until I either have a job or I reach my limit.

Anyway. I'm no expert fyi. Just another budding 3D artist like yourself, sharing my personal thoughts and views :)

Oh and by the way, asking questions is not a bad thing. Asking questions is how people learn. It seems to me that the general view on polycount is people are very willing to help, assuming it's not something that could be found on google, and that you've put in a decent amount of time trying to solve it yourself.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    people are very willing to help, assuming it's not something that could be found on google, and that you've put in a decent amount of time trying to solve it yourself.
    This. Also the rest is great.

I've been working in games as an artist for 20+ years, and I still love it. It's been an awesome career.

But also I struggle with motivation at home on my side projects, so I'm with you there Meteora. I find I have boundless motivation when I'm in a team situation. But it's very different when it's just me, I have to really push to stick with things. You're not alone there.

Keep at it, and post your work for critique. Having other eyes on your work can be very helpful.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You definitely are lucky. I have low self-esteem as well, though I haven't been really pushing myself to make better work. I know anatomy is a must, but I still haven't quite connect the dots between drawing and character modelling. I want to think I haven't been having any problems doing strokes in ZBrush, but what do I know. Haven't drawn in forever and always feel like its wayyyy too late to start drawing now. But maybe I will, I've been meaning to get back into drawing.

Appreciate the thoughts ghaztehschmexeh.
    But also I struggle with motivation at home on my side projects, so I'm with you there Meteora. I find I have boundless motivation when I'm in a team situation. But it's very different when it's just me, I have to really push to stick with things. You're not alone there.

Keep at it, and post your work for critique. Having other eyes on your work can be very helpful.

Glad I'm not alone with my issues on motivation. Its funny because I want to become really good but I can't be arsed to do anything on my own. But when I'm working in team projects I can get really involved. Must be some weird psychology. Thanks for the encouragement and I'll post my work for critique very shortly.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Haven't drawn in forever and always feel like its wayyyy too late to start drawing now. But maybe I will, I've been meaning to get back into drawing.
    Why is it too late? Are you crippled with arthritis? Are you unable to move a pencil? :P Anywho, I really recommend "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards". I haven't hugely got into drawing myself yet, but the start of this book really helped alleviate the (fairly common) belief that drawing is just a "magical" talent you are born with. As for the connection between the two, I believe the idea is that it a)helps build your understanding of anatomy b)helps your understanding of shapes (not sure how to explain). This isn't really my area so I can't really help you much here.

As for the feeling more motivated in a team, why not join a game mod team or something?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    The thing with the motivation thing is, I needed to get past it. One thing that helps me is to enjoy the parts I like, and power through the parts I don't. I don't let procrastination or distractions get in the way. I focus on that feeling of getting really excited by my work, so I can get past the tough or boring bits.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read the whole thread, don't have time to, so this might have been covered already.
    I literally have no work experience. I know its a silly question, but would working as a freelance qualify as work experience? Or should I just suck it up and work at something like McDonalds?
    Studios look for a level of performance not necessarily titles under your belt. If you portfolio looks like someone who has 2 years of experience then you will get noticed even if you haven't worked a day in your life on a title. There maybe some questions about your speed or workflow but if the work is solid they will notice you.
    Environment art, characters or animation?
    You really should pick one and stick to it.
    You really need to be a rockstar to land a character gig, the positions are few per team so competition is fierce. A lot of beginners are intimidated by the scope and tech knowledge involved in environment art so they shy away. It is also viewed as a lower priority by many people to characters and beginers tend to want the fame and glory, be the alpha male on the team, have everyone pick them up on their shoulders and take them out to lunch while chanting their name... lol.
    Character art also has a lot of responsibility for the look and feel of the game and are used to drive the marketing which is another reason why they won't hire just anyone.
    You're best bet is to go through the credits of games, find the character artists and check out their stuff and then do better than them because those are the people you will be competing with. You could possibly scratch out an existence doing characters for social mobile games but often those end up being 2D positions.

Animation is a little easier to get into but you still need to be a rockstar, often that means taking some online classes and putting together an amazing reel. With the next generation of games fully in production and the line between film and games blurred heavily they will be looking for top notch talent. Also keep in mind that there are a lot of VFX guys looking for a stable paycheck.

Environment artist and prop artist positions are more plentiful and often the bar for entry is a little lower, this also means you're more likely to be let go when the project ends.

As for wrist pain, there are some options. I get it from time to time here are some things I do to fend it off and get them back in working order.

1) Exercise and do other motions besides gripping a mouse. You don't need to work out your wrists or put pressure on them, you don't want to weaken or thin out the squishy padding between the joints. But just about any kind of exercise will help.

2) Don't use braces or wraps for me they make my wrists weaker and end up hurting more. Time away from the mouse and other activity should get them back in order.

3) Switch to using a wacom pen instead of a mouse. This is huge for me and really really helps. I'm left handed which is normally my keyboard shortcut hand so its a little weird, but I have ways of dealing with it.

4) if you're a wrist drawer/mouser try using your arm more, don't rest your hand or forearm on the surface, the only thing that should touch is the tip of the pen or the bottom of the mouse. For me this was really hard and I ended up with neck pain at first but exercise helped with that and now its much easier to do and has saved my wrists.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    When I first started getting into zbrush about a year and a half ago, I signed up for a subscription at zbrushworkshops.com. It really helped with getting a basis of anatomy right from the start, and was motivational to be able to see improvements week by week. Starting something as massive as character creation without any help from sites like ZBW and gnomon is really daunting.

I have definitely gone through periods of low motivation (and always will, I'm sure). Just remember that its something you build up. At first, you may struggle to make a basic face in 3 hours. Keep at it, and eventually you'll be making something better in 30 minutes. Don't try to force yourself to do something because that's what you "should" do. You will find resistance, yes, and it is good to break through that to get into "the zone", but choose the kind of work you do based primarily on how much you enjoy it. Then, when you realise you're lacking in some area, you can pursue it even if it isn't all that fun, for the sake of adding tools to your arsenal for more creative freedom.

And regarding working a job like McDonalds, this is actually something I'd highly recommend if you've never done it before. Working in a soul-draining environment with a bunch of burnouts is SUPER motivational (was for me, at least) to get working and get the hell out of there. As a bonus, you'll have cash for training, software and hardware.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    arcitecht wrote: »
    Working in a soul-draining environment with a bunch of burnouts is SUPER motivational
    Confirming

Just don't do a job that makes you hate your life too much :poly142:
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ghaztehschmexeh: Nah, its just I haven't drawn in ages. I sort of just stopped drawing after I got into high school and moved onto doing graphic design. So I had maybe 5-6 years of not drawing anything. I'll take a look at the book when I get a chance. Modding team, possibly. I need to look around and see what I can help out with. I'm looking at Skyrim right now.

@Eric: Makes sense. I guess I really enjoy doing characters the most and I get most focused on it, other than always continually having derpy looking faces/anatomy. That breaks my momentum.

@Mark: Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not going to do animation, its something I fantasize about doing, but the actual workflow isn't suited for me (though its terrific saving my wrists). They also say animators usually need to be good actors, I'm a terrible actor so that's a big no from me.

I may just have to do characters on the side or something. I'm not really good at it. I don't know, I'll see in maybe a month or two. I would have considered your last bullet point (4) but I'm left-handed. I only use my right hand for my mouse and chopsticks. But you bring an interesting point... just that my lazy and have my hand on the tablet anyways.

@arcitecht: Yeah I may have to find a job, ideally part-time. I'll keep working on characters if possible and see where to go from there. Thanks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, technically they need to be able to act through their character and they have the ability to take it as slow as they need to, key by key and even go back and tweak the performance. Live actors don't have that kind of luxury, they either do it right or they do it all over from scratch.

So yes animators do need to think and observe like actors but if they aren't comfortable getting up and acting then it doesn't really matter as long as they can deliver the performance needed.