Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

John Deere Tractor

IsparticusI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
Time for a new project, not entirely sure if im going to bake this down yet, or keep it higher res. I guess well see when the time comes :)

I'll post pictures as i work on things. Hopefully il have time to crank it out fast. But here are the tires as they stand now. Tomorrow will be the start of the engine and trans

5zllHRe.jpg

02NjR7q.jpg

Replies

• Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good :) Im looking forward to your progress.
  • FireTruck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FireTruck null
    some sexy tires
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, just a quick update of the engine cover. Hopefully il have some time to get started on the actual engine here soon

bwvkGqA.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    You should keep the wheel just by itself, with the shader it looked awesome.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool so far! I really like your front wheels! But I would rework the big ones, they look way to blocky(the tires), they almost look like toy wheels, you need to add some roundness to almost every part of your tire, add some curves in the parts sticking out at the base of the shape and in the way they are aligned on the tire. Also make the tire itself less square around the edges. There are a lot of different types of tractor tires, but they are almost built all the same way. But the wheels(metal part) look great ;)

Oh, and just make sure when you're finished that the wheels are facing the right direction, cause at the moment your rear right wheel is facing the wrong side in your last picture ^^

I'll be following this, keep it up!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    hmm this looks familiar :D

This is shaping up to be a great hi-res model 1949a!
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    peanut™ wrote: »
    You should keep the wheel just by itself, with the shader it looked awesome.

Definitely. I concur. The wheel was kickass with that shader.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot - i looked back at the wheels and you were right,they needed to be a little more rounded, even though there was one reference that had a slight "lip" to an edge, but overall i think this looks better. Also re-did the grip or "extrusions" off the tire so they coincide with the rounded feel.

And its really just a simple lighting setup that i use on all hp models, but here it is again with everything so far...

EaqBI6j.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the other side

gyQlbsV.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well no replies, but this is the final version. Any comments and crits are always welcome :)

Hope ya like

Y7obGK9.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Already finished, hah, time slipped away from me. I had meant to pop in and ask what model and model year of John deer is this based off of before you finished - oops.

But I'll ask anyway :D

There are TONS of design changes from model to model and year to year. John Deere being a very popular brand, and collectible = too many to surf through :|
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    good modeling man. nice readable edges, although i wonder about the (rubber?) tires having similar edge widths to the metal body. i hope you plan to finish it off? not just an HP? hard to tell from wording. keep it up
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    yeah I got the year and model wrong, haha. Nice hi rez!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    cool, i'll follow this
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the nice words. But as of now im going to leave it a high poly, 99% sure il come back to it, i just have so many other things in my head that i wanna do.

Amsterdam- yea the only reason why i have the extrusions or grip on the tires the same edge width is because on all the references ive grabbed, they are pretty sharp, so i didn't wanna change it up to much :)

Also, i want to say your AK that you did was spectacular! I'm working on a SCAR right now, hopefully it'll be half as good as yours
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    While your modeling is really well, your light setup and shader (general presentation) is really off. The only reason it looks somehow nice, is that you have good looking shapes, but clearly not from your lighting and materials. Also the outer glow on your last picture is way too harsh. Gradients are always used best subtlety.

Also you have a particulary warm green, and your rims have a cold yellow. Color theory wants you to use a warm yellow in such a composition to look best.

Your render should be a lot more diffused, the tire material is really glossy which conveys the material wrong. The specularity falloff is a lot more wide and not as sharp. If you go as far as put materials for your highpoly, then use a HDRI to light your scene. (Or enable reflections on your materials, I see you have one only for the exhaust and the tires [way too strong on them btw]) and the one you use is not
    nice and unrealistic.
    Especially for cars and stuff like that is no real texture needed and you can convey a really good render with simple base color.

Also, do not use white lights, lights are never white, orange and blue tones are the way to go if you want to avoid a fake look. (same with shadows, they are not grey or black, they are colored, often purple,) look at the black shadows in your rims, they look so fake

Try using multiple lights and a rim light maybe, and color them, else you will fall in that huge uncanny valley. Experiment a bit, you will like the results and its fun (imo) and worth it!

Nice clean modeling else
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike-

Thanks for the feedback. The drop shadow that i used in photoshop is combination of 2 actually. But i can see what your saying about the fact that it might be a little harsh.

I also see what your saying about the tires how they are coming across as to glossy, but its all because of the way the light is hitting them. Every piece in the image has the same glossyness and specularity because since this is only a high poly showcase, its not meant to be uber realistic, meant to just show off the shapes and workflow of the high poly. And ex. yea the exhaust actually doesn't have a different material assigned to it, its just the way the lighting is hitting it that makes it have that effect.

And yea i never use white lights, i always use a soft light orange to portray the sun and bounced lighting and a soft cool blue as a background. If you look closely at the tractor on the right you can see a blueish hue on some of the surfaces, and a yellow-orange hue on the image on the left.

I use a basic 3 point light system with MR omni's. 1 main omni which cast's shadows with .7 strength, with the orange/yellow tint. 1 support omni with same color no shadow at .2 strength. And one back light, blueish tint with .3 strength.

Here's an image i just did for the hell of it cuz i was bored when i was done, but this doesn't have any of the drop shadows behind it with a slightly different tone to the lights but still same colors, might show it a little better.

PhcsRzd.jpg