Home Technical Talk

Adding complicated ornaments/patterns using a displace map (3ds max)

Edit (2013-06-12 14:16): Damn it, sorry everyone, somehow solved it now. Yup, I adjusted the output parameters in the bitmap just now and it worked. I tried it before posting this topic but for some reason it didn't work, probably just some stupid mistake. Thanks everybody!

Hello,

I'm trying to add a rather complicated pattern or relief to a flat surface in 3ds max 2012. As always, there are tons of different ways of accomplishing this, but the best I could think of is to make a displacement map allowing me to quickly add this relief geometrically in one go.

I'm using a multi sub object material and have added the displacement map to its slot. No results, but after having tesselated the polygons one or two times, and then adding the "Displace Mesh" modifier, I get the geometry I need (see from 3:15 in the video below). The problem is that it's waaay to deep or extreme, as I only want a small relief (like in this picture: http://wanderingplaces.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/oseberg-viking-ship_viking-ship-museum.jpg).

Here's a video explaining it more thoroughly: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLtyZsQtj4"]00017 - YouTube[/ame]

So how can I accomplish this? Currently it's maybe ten times as deep as I want it to be. Maybe there's a better way to add these relief ornaments?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thats one thing I did for my ship version in skyrim , but I did in very simple way ...

Took the image of the sculpted parts, created a normal map out of it with crazybump , after having tiled it , then I applied the UVmap of the lower area of the ship , and I just applied repeating that pattern all over the ship bottom .

so just a normal map .
  • Hagroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've been considering doing that, but since I'd like to use this not only in Skyrim (yup, funny coincidence :) ) but also in CGI and stuff I'd like to make a high-poly model first and then bake a normal map later on for the game version.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't used displacement in a while, but I wonder if you've tried adjusting the Output params in the Bitmap Map? Should affect the strength of the displacement...