Home Technical Talk

Exporting Smoothed Mesh in XSI?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
David Somers polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys it's a pretty simple question but I guess I'm wondering how to finalize smoothed objects in XSI so that the increased, "smoothing level" will export. Currently I'm trying to get the hang of high poly, detail sculpting but this is sorta holding me up in the export from XSI to Sculptris. NOTE: I'm working in Softimage 2012: Student version.

I got a nose cone piece for my aircraft I am wanting to fiddle with that currently has one + command (off my number pad) applied. I know this is only seems to be valid while the object is smoothed in XSI but I am wondering how to keep that smoothed version so that I can manipulate the high poly version in a sculpting program?

There is the option of manually subdividing and tweaking the smoothing deform on it but that doesn't exactly achieve the same results in the end. I'm sure the answer is right under my nose but I'm just not seeing it. A good method of doing this would be much appreciated, so thanks in advance guys. :thumbup:

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    "I'm wondering how to finalize smoothed objects in XSI so that the increased, "smoothing level" will export."

"I am wondering how to keep that smoothed version so that I can manipulate the high poly version in a sculpting program?"

What is the purpose of having a high smoothed version in XSI and export it and rework it in Sculptris ? Why not send a Low unsmoothed version from XSI and detail it in Sculptris ? :poly114b:

It looks like you got to learn a bit about workflow.

I'm not sure if i understood your question properly, it should answer itself by just exporting the mesh from XSI ---> Sculptris and detail it as you want it. Use *.Obj files. Select the object in XSI and export. Once your done in Sculptris re-export it back to XSI. Et Voila!

There wouldn't be a need for morph targets in this case but whatever!

• David Somers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my purpose is one that I want to add on top of detail I already have in XSI. Already tried Sculptris' poly subdivide tool but it ended up breaking floating geometry positions in rivets I added. I trust that doing all the high poly detailing in one should be a better option overall but this just doesn't apply in my current situation.

I mainly want to take my current mesh and add some rust and chipped paint around edges without having to mess around with the mesh to regain the detail level I had previously.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could locally subdivide the model prior to export.
    (Modify > Poly.Mesh > Local Subdivision Refinement, select every polygon/edge)
  • David Somers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: For some reason I some how managed to botch the previous attempts at getting correct subdivisions. Apparently this builds polys in the same manner as the smoothing option does cause it's replicated the same form exactly as before, or as far as I can tell.

I think that solves my problem, so thanks man.