Home Technical Talk

Pattern along a path in zbrush

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cadu polycounter lvl 5
There is any way of inserting a pattern along a curved shape in zbrush in any way or something similar?

Here is a example:
havx.jpg

I saw sometinhg like that in the past but dont remember how its done exactly.

Thx in advance, as always.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If its an alpha, you can use one of the stitch brushes as an example. If it's an object, curve mode would work well. If the tool itself has UVs, those can be used by something like noisemaker to do the job.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Your image is tiny there, but I think I get what you're wanting.

I would make a meshInsert brush from some meshes made to work as a repeating pattern, and turn on curve mode, so you now have your mesh usable as a curve brush.

(Alternatively, you could just make a brush with a nice repeating alpha, if you don't need/want the extra geometry of a meshinsert brush)

Then go to your mesh you want to apply it to. Select only the loop of polygons around/along which you want you pattern applied. You may want to make this a polygroup so you can easily select it again.

Finally, instead of drawing the curve on the mesh directly, go to stroke>curve functions and hit "frame mesh". This will automatically draw a curve along the border of your visible polygons. Delete any portions of the curve you don't need (topology brush and alt-click). Then all you have to do is click on the curve with your new pattern brush selected and it will snap your repeating pattern along the curve. Then it should just be a matter of changing your draw size to get the appropriate scale for the pattern.

If this made no sense at all, first accept my apologies, then go here and watch the 2-part series on making the dropleg platform.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for the feedback.

cryrid: In this object i think it wont use uvs, at least in this phase. To test it i will work it procedurals only. I will research and test the stich brush and post the results, hopefully this week.

arcitecht: thx for the details, i will try that too and watch the dropleg vid to undertand the concept even further.