Home Technical Talk

Creating characters from bust's?!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DekuHD polycounter lvl 6
Hello there, I'm a 17 y/o aspiring character artist in last year of a terrible '3D art' class at school and since my tutors are about as interested and as competent as a sponge cake, i'm going to stop lurking for a moment and post.

I decided to pick up Zbrush a few months ago and so far i have done a few busts and assets with the program and i was wondering, how do i create a full character from a sculpted bust?

The only way i can think of doing it is by making a base mesh and then just merging the two meshes, but i have no idea how to do that.

Here's what i have so far, if anyone could help me out i would be so appreciative! Thank you in advance!

2ggWUFB.jpg

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Are you asking how you would add a body to that sculpt?

You'd have to make a new mesh and transfer the details. Look at the zProject brush and the Project All button.

What I'd recommend is to retopologize the head into a lowpoly model, then attach that new model to a body, then subdivide that new model in zBrush and project the details from your bust. Then you'd go on and continue sculpting the rest of the figure.

Though honestly, starting from scratch isn't a bad idea either. Shouldn't take you too long to get back to this point. I'd bet the time it would take to retopologize, build a lowpoly body, project the details, cleanup, etc, would be more than it would take to just start over from scratch.
  • DekuHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DekuHD polycounter lvl 6
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Are you asking how you would add a body to that sculpt?

You'd have to make a new mesh and transfer the details. Look at the zProject brush and the Project All button.

What I'd recommend is to retopologize the head into a lowpoly model, then attach that new model to a body, then subdivide that new model in zBrush and project the details from your bust. Then you'd go on and continue sculpting the rest of the figure.

Though honestly, starting from scratch isn't a bad idea either. Shouldn't take you too long to get back to this point. I'd bet the time it would take to retopologize, build a lowpoly body, project the details, cleanup, etc, would be more than it would take to just start over from scratch.

Yeah, i wanted add a body to my sculpt, and i see your point about just starting over. And thank you for telling me about projecting details, i had no idea Zbrush could do that, that's insane!

Thanks for your advice dude :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just use Dynamesh, it should keep the base, large details of the mesh, and only lose out on the smaller details, just proceed in creating the entire thing, once done, do what Big told you.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Make a copy of the detailed bust, dynamesh the copy to a body, and then project the detail from the original bust to the dynamesh.

edit: Actually, just activating the Project setting in the Dynamesh menu should preserve the details from the original well enough. I'd still keep a copy of the original in case you need to project details later.