Home Technical Talk

How to make a fire flipbook texture?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
I am learning Cascade in UDK and really want to make a flipbook fire texture but I dont know where to begin... As in I cant understand how to generate such textures... If there could be a tutorial for it it would be great! All the tutorials I have found thus far only describe how to import and implement. Any help is much appreciated! :D

Replies

• leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    You have to create an image and break it up into equal parts, like 3x3, 4x4, etc. Fill each quadrant with a picture of the flames. When you import into UDK, I think you select the texture type and it should have an option where you select how it's ordered? I can't remember entirely, but it's pretty simple once you import. The hardest part is creating a flipbook that looks right when it's moving- I couldn't get it. A regular material works better for me.

Edit: Also, if you're looking for fire textures, CGTextures has a lot from the same fire. And I've seen a lot of people use Maya particles for base textures.
  • imbueFX
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    I talk about this pretty extensively in my Cascade Beginner's Guide on 3dmotive. It's in volume 2, chapters 13 & 14.

https://www.3dmotive.com/f104301

There are lots of different approaches, but in the video I talk about how to use After Effects to layout a flipbook from some stock fire footage.

Hope this helps!
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys!! Thanks a lot!!! All of your advice was lots of help! :)