Home Technical Talk

New to Vray

So I am trying out Vray for maya for my first time and I need some help killing all this noise

i know both jack and shit bout Vray I know im using LC and its at like 1800 sub and im on High

g892XZg.png?1
pLhiFpw.png?1

Replies

• gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first thing is start reading the docs. thats the reference. if you need to know what something does its in the docs.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/

i'm not sure what abbreviations these are.

"I know im using LC and its at like 1800 sub and im on High"

if you have something specific about one of those settings its clearer to use the full name so there is no ambiguity.

from what it looks like you need to adjust your sampling setting in the vray tab of render settings. there are different types of sampling you can do but the default is Adaptive DMC. if you lower the threshold value that will effect the grain but increase render times.

if your just starting out i would set up a small scene to play with that renders quickly and do a lot of tests and experiment. even tho vray is 'simpeler' then a lot of renderers there are still many different ways to do the same thing and lots of settings that you need to understand to use the renderer effectively.
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha my bad I watched 1 set of Digital tutors and just assumed everyone talked like him.... :P

LC is Light Cache
    and Sub = subdivisions

and i brought my threshhold down to .001
    I will let ya know after this week of rendering
    JK :P

gray wrote: »
    first thing is start reading the docs. thats the reference. if you need to know what something does its in the docs.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/

i'm not sure what abbreviations these are.

"I know im using LC and its at like 1800 sub and im on High"

if you have something specific about one of those settings its clearer to use the full name so there is no ambiguity.

from what it looks like you need to adjust your sampling setting in the vray tab of render settings. there are different types of sampling you can do but the default is Adaptive DMC. if you lower the threshold value that will effect the grain but increase render times.

if your just starting out i would set up a small scene to play with that renders quickly and do a lot of tests and experiment. even tho vray is 'simpeler' then a lot of renderers there are still many different ways to do the same thing and lots of settings that you need to understand to use the renderer effectively.
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS!!!! lookie at the difference

0dHto3p.jpg
    1qLYvjT.png
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks a lot better. :)

im not sure where your at with the lighting setup but (imo) you need to punch up the lighting. its very flat. very even. even if you are going to do a model turntable you can afford to have a little shadow and dramatic lighting.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I saw this guy on the DBZ facebook challenge :) I think you can push his pose even more. Right now he looks a bit awkward, like he's trying to balance himself and not to fall down. In the anime this is suppose to be a team pose so he needs to look very confident and showing off. Stretch out his arms some more, straighten his legs and back, make the pose really heroic.

Look up some Crane Kungfu poses for some good reference

http://www.chinashaolins.com/ma_shaolin03.jpg
    http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/leonography/DBz/dbgokuS09_zps35ace80a.jpg
    http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/leonography/DBz/dbgokuS06_zpse317e5dd.jpg
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated it again
    AIfbu0T.png

... i just realized how nooby I am at lighting

if ya got any tips on how to make it more contrasty or better id rove it

gray wrote: »
    looks a lot better. :)

im not sure where your at with the lighting setup but (imo) you need to punch up the lighting. its very flat. very even. even if you are going to do a model turntable you can afford to have a little shadow and dramatic lighting.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    iZac wrote: »
    if ya got any tips on how to make it more contrasty or better id rove it

More color in the light. Warm/Cool contrast.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with LMP, hit it from the left with a warm color (orange), hit it from the right with a cool color (blue or purple) and then put a white light above it and slightly off to one side.
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet thanks for the help. I'll set that up asap. though it may take a week since ill be on vaca soon.

I agree with LMP, hit it from the left with a warm color (orange), hit it from the right with a cool color (blue or purple) and then put a white light above it and slightly off to one side.