Home Technical Talk

How to use mental ray materials?

Hi guys,

I'm new here, would like to make some artist friends here hopefully by being more active in this forum. I've nothing much to show at this moment so would just like to start by asking some technical questions about mental ray.

I would like to ask what are the materials in mental ray that are the most commonly used.

It would be great if anyone here could kindly point me to resources to learn how to use them.

thanks.

Replies

• gray
    welcome to the board. :)

mia_material_x is probably the most common general purpose shader. but all the shades have some use depending on what you want to do. i would suggest you experiment and have fun and try stuff out. there are lots of general maya shader nodes that you can use with mental ray.

as for tutorials there are to many. you can search google, or get a dvd from gnomon or digital tutors. both have mentalray videos.

also in the future you need to put what software your using in your post. maya, max etc.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Depends on wich 3d package you are using...

In 3dsmax for example you can use the arch&design materials. They are really powerful to create convincing 3d renderings.
    There are also a lot of templates shipped with the arch&design materials. For these also exist seperate renderchannels.