Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vray Bathroom WIP

Hey there guys I've recently downloaded Vray and have been teaching myself how to use it and I'm rather enjoying it so far. There's still shit loads I need to learn but I'm getting there.

I decided to start off by doing the clich

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The lighting is nice and the shaders aswell, but what is this black thing ? You cannot put something with such contrast in and makes no sense. It grabs attention. Your wood is not seamless, thats important. Where is the light coming from ? Why is nearly everything hard edged ? Your tiles could start and end better.
  • andy2626
    well Where the window is at the end of the room I'n going to put a photo of a night time skyline. Yeah I could probably do with adding a few more softer edges in! and I am going to model and have some lights on the roof in the middle. Will have a few more toiletries, magazines and misc items around the place too.

and possibly going to put it into a games engine not sure atm. I haven't used cryengine before but I did download it and have a little play with it the other day and I quite like it. Although I could do with updating my crappy graphics card to run it smoothly but to do that I need money and a job so can't really do that till that time. Going to work on some textures for the bottles etc tonight and this week. I'll post up some progress soon
  • ikblue
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice job, the whole atmosphere is good. I think at the moment the light sources on the roof are really missing, the source of light in your scene seems to be a point light in the middle of the scene and it's not very realistic. Also the specular on the bath tub doesn't match anything and it disturbs me. I am a bit suprised by the mirror which seems not to be 100% reflective as most mirrors are (and reflects something different than the black window) but I guess you could say that I'm picky ^^
  • andy2626
    Haha nothing wrong with being picky and yeah I wasn't sure why it was doing that but I realised it was because the light source outside was showing up in the reflections, all I need to do is make it invisible. Yeah I'll get working on the light source next week and hopefully produce something a little more realistic.
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Looking good!

One thing I have been learning lately about "realism" is the transition of edges, the place where things meet on a form. Like when painting, a cube with exact 90 angles won't be represented by light and dark butting up against each other. There is a tiny chamfer at the very least, of a blended color between the light and dark. It softens the transition, making the form look more like it would to our eyes in real life.

When I look at the images above, the wooden ledge, the bath edge against the right hand wall (bottom image), the wall around the doorway, all of these are harsh extreme changes, they have no "seams" or transitions. Baths usually have clear silicon pasted around them, wood is sharp cornered but not exactly 90', it's usually slightly rounded with some bumps and splintering.

Perhaps even just softening the harsh edges with a bevel (subtlety is king!) will make the shapes take more realistic form?
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Hello there, a few vray tips :)

Work in scale cm, inches and make your meshes the same size they would be in real life (its very important VERYYYYY). Btw some proportions feel off in your image, the sink is really tiny.

Always use a Vray camera for rendering.
    Vray beginners tend to max out light intensity because the images are to dark, use the vray camera settings instead, the vray camera behaves like a real camera ( I like to set shutter speed to 50 and ISO to 800). Also set the film gate to aboutr 45 for interior renders (it's how our eyes behave and will help sell the realism)

You don't have to bevel with vray, you can add a vray round edge attribute to a mesh: This would greatly enhance realism since there are no sharp cg edges in real life.

use a hdr map for reflections (in vray color management options) it will make your materials a lot more interesting

Work on your material shaders, the chrome is boring and feels cg (the material color of chrome is almost black, yours is way to bright), tweak the reflection settings and try making it somewhat blurry its way to sharp right know (you'll probably have to increase the material reflection subdivisions or your dmc sampler max subdivisions to get a clean result though)

It's obvious you have used the same material for many elements, avoid that if you want to make your scene feel realistic.

Make an AO pass and add it to your image when you compose it in photoshop, it changes everything !!!

Work with Render Elements !!!!! :)

Vray rendering is an artform, I could go on for hours and probably bore you to death...

So here are a few great sites with free downlods (the good stuff no free crap made by amateurs)and free tutorials (again the good stuff made by pros for pros):

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/
    http://www.peterguthrie.net/

This site has a plugin to set up hdr maps in vray and a lot of free hdr maps: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Cheers
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Hello there, a few vray tips :)

Work in scale cm, inches and make your meshes the same size they would be in real life (its very important VERYYYYY). Btw some proportions feel off in your image, the sink is really tiny.

Always use a Vray camera for rendering.
    Vray beginners tend to max out light intensity because the images are to dark, use the vray camera settings instead, the vray camera behaves like a real camera ( I like to set shutter speed to 50 and ISO to 800). Also set the film gate to aboutr 45 for interior renders (it's how our eyes behave and will help sell the realism)

You don't have to bevel with vray, you can add a vray round edge attribute to a mesh: This would greatly enhance realism since there are no sharp cg edges in real life.

use a hdr map for reflections (in vray color management options) it will make your materials a lot more interesting

Work on your material shaders, the chrome is boring and feels cg (the material color of chrome is almost black, yours is way to bright), tweak the reflection settings and try making it somewhat blurry its way to sharp right know (you'll probably have to increase the material reflection subdivisions or your dmc sampler max subdivisions to get a clean result though)

It's obvious you have used the same material for many elements, avoid that if you want to make your scene feel realistic.

Make an AO pass and add it to your image when you compose it in photoshop, it changes everything !!!

Work with Render Elements !!!!! :)

Vray rendering is an artform, I could go on for hours and probably bore you to death...

So here are a few great sites with free downlods (the good stuff no free crap made by amateurs)and free tutorials (again the good stuff made by pros for pros):

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/
    http://www.peterguthrie.net/

This site has a plugin to set up hdr maps in vray and a lot of free hdr maps: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Cheers
  • andy2626
    wow thankyou very much battlecow and not at all go ahead an bore I will probably learn something lol. Yeah I've been making sure to use vray cameras and stuff its just getting the right settings for things etc. and yeah now I look at it I agree that the edges of things need to be less sharp. Just had a look at those sites and they are most useful. I do want to learn as much as I can from this exercise as hopefully I can get a job in something similar but struggling to find much.

I'm busy for the next few days but I'm going to try and get as much done as I can on it next week. Hopefully when its done it'll be a good addition to my portfolio.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback and keep it coming lol.
  • andy2626
    Hey guys thought I would bring you an update. I've made a few changes to the scene and its nearly done now just need to tweak a few textures and make some of the edges less sever in places and also adjust some geometry on some of the objects. However I am currently making some of these changes as we speak so if you have any in put please send it my way!!!

vECQL4E.jpg
    9BCkI5m.jpg
    VtsTZBl.jpg
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Great bathroom! hahhaha sounds a bit weird saying that lol.
    Anyways, really curious. I've used vray before and i keep seeing the scaling issue is really important. Which leads to, how do you know if you have exact measurements? Cause I use 3dsmax before, but I mostly use softimage due to work. There's no measurements, so what I usually do is just bring in a character and eyeball from there.
  • gomcdowell
    Goodjob on the marble.
  • andy2626
    Cheers guy and Iciban yeah scale is important in vray so make sure you have the right sizes, having said that theres a few bits out of scale in my scene lol. You basically want to go customise grids and units setting and change it to what scale you want. Generally 1.0 unit to 1cm is a good one. When you make primitives the number in length, width and height will correlate to centimetres. You can also measure using a tool in max here is a good tutorial: https://vimeo.com/16985819, http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?215701-How-do-you-set-up-scale-in-3D-MAX
  • andy2626
    Hey guys another update. Pretty much done now, just a few little tweaks etc to do. Please give me some feedback:
    lJPsgM6.jpg
    glcUIf0.jpg
    RIcxx3J.jpg
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    thanks i'll check them out! scene is looking pretty rad. The 3rd pic, it feels a bit bright? Like there's no focal point. I really like the 2nd one.