Home Technical Talk

Rendering out from 3D for 2D games environments

pr1970
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
Hi All

Just about to embark on environment work on a 2d side scrolling game project , and being a total novice at 3d to 2d work I wondered if anyone has any tips,tutorials,etc that would be useful? If possible specific for tablets/phone markets.

its along these kind of lines, with tiled floors, walls,etc

icon_xl.jpg

I`d like to be able to setup a scene in 3d (Maya/3dsmax) and render out various elements into 2d tiles without too much 2d work, so I can go back an easily modify the 3d scene and get artwork into game quickly and painlessly. Thinking if there is some automated way I can render out various sections of the art work, so if I want to change the overall lighting or materials it could be done fairly quickly.

Thanks

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    more or less just rendering tiles from a fixed camera postion
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    Can you elaborate a bit more. I`m thinking of techniques such as light setups, camera setups,etc
    For example is it a good idea to just model all the back walls and then setup individual cameras to capture each section of the wall as tiles? or keep them all separate? Is it better to render high resolution and then scale them down in photoshop to the correct size? Filter settings for cameras/textures,etc?
    Just general best techniques for doing this kind of work is what i`m looking for. I`ve spent this week working on things and have learnt alot but would like to know from someone who has done this before and has experience.

Thanks again
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might help to think of it similar to traditional modular modeling. Model on a grid. Keep each piece separate, but make sure they tile together properly. Setup a unique camera per model, and make it as isometric as possible (no perspective), framed precisely to the edges of each tile. Use one lighting rig for all pieces, so you can tweak easily. Find a batch rendering script to render all the cameras in the scene. I'm not a Maya guy, but shouldn't be too difficult to find, check Creativecrash.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Eric. Thats helpful.

Actually i`ve started off keeping wall tiles in one scene, floors in another,etc but I think it may be a bad idea if I need to go back and change things and require a batch render. Think i`ll try your method of putting things onto a grid and keep everything tileable.
    I`m also rendering everything twice the size and an ambient occlusion separate and bring it into photoshop and doing an action to reduce the scale by half and apply the AO. Which is a bit awkward but I think they`ll be only 30 pieces/tiles in the game which isnt too bad to manage.

One of the toughest things is all the modelling and texturing requires alot of time and effort but thankfully i`m building up a library of components that can be reused. Certainly a learning curve compared to low poly work i`m use too. But nice not having to worry about polycounts for once.

Paul
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    A great programm wich wasnt update a long time but
    its still great for particle and effect creation/rendering
    is: TimeLine Particle FX

fpshot1.png

You can tweak alot of things and create your own effects in a very short time.
    The licence is very cheap and i think its a good start for simple effects
    --> but its all 2d, you should remind that ;)
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks alphavader.

Another question I have is about perspective. If you look at the first screenshot of that game there is a slight perspective to the rear walls,floor,etc.
    I`m currently working with an orthographic camera so I`m having to distort the object to get some perspective.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would work to an ortho camera. This will keep the pieces perfectly tilable. You can force the perspective. If you use a perspective camera, the edges will not line up any more. You could use a deformer or spacewarp to skew the meshes, to make orth-style perspective.
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks. Yeah I just realised I was doing something stupid with the orthographic camera when rotating it and couldnt get the angle correct. Now I just have to deform the objects to gain some height perspective.