Home General Discussion

Freelancing With Expensive Product Licenses?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
So I'm curious as to how other freelancers deal with this problem. Software licenses are damned expensive, especially 3ds Max which is what I was trained in and have been seemingly forced to buy since I make money using it. But in today's pipeline, there can be a number of different software products that you need to make an asset. 3ds, Zbrush, Photoshop, Maya. How do you guys afford it? Is the Autodesk subscription service worth it?

I bought 3ds Max 2011 a couple years ago for $3,500 and I hated it so much that I just reverted back to the more efficient and stable version 2009. I don't have a subscription service and getting one now would not entitle me to a free upgrade from my 2011 license. I just want to know how other freelancers deal with these costs.

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i bought max and photoshop, it paid for itself in a couple months. the subscription that lets me keep using 2009 is an absurd $500 a year but that's not really a huge deal and you get the yearly $4000 releases for $500. granted, the yearly releases aren't usually worth downloading, and the "value added" programs and features they have as part of the subscription are useless for most people.

monopolies are great, huh?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I remember when XSI had a $500 version that was perfect for freelancers. Modo is an awesome modeling tool for half as much, at $1,500. Zbrush has free upgrades, so it's definitely worth it.

I'd also suggest never buying a new version of software until you've tried using it for the full 30 day trial.

There's always Blender and Gimp.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    open source looks better and better every day
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've only had one job where they've insisted on the final files being in .max format, every other job i could have done with blender and exported as .obj.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Modo is phenomenal, every update adds so much that it really is a solid all-rounder now.
    I love modo, but that really isn't true for game artists. 701 was a pretty big letdown. At least in 701sp1 we got export selected, and sp2 is going to have better fbx integration. People have been asking for baking features and other essentials for ages, but still nothing.

Still, it's a brilliant program and thanks to scripts from boss people like Seneca, Ariel Chai, Farfarer etc it can be wonderful for game art. It's just a shame luxology haven't implemented features that would make real-time art that bit easier.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I agree, it is the open source and some alternative applications which make freelancing affordable to all.

Need a modeling application? Nvil, Silo, Blender... all cheap or free.
    Need a sculpting application? Zbrush (great deal, great app, free updates), Blender, 3dcoat..
    Need a full 3d package? Modo is still more than half that of Maya/Max. Blender is exceptionally solid, open source and doesnt cost a thing.
    Need a 2d package? Well if photoshop is out of the question, you have everything from Photoline to GIMP to Krita.

One can technically freelance and pump out quality work without spending a dime these days, and its only getting better. Cheaper commercial tools exist to make the process either easier or provide support.

I feel bad for the person who wants to freelance with Nuke or Mari, now thats expensive.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember that you can deduct any software (or hardware) purchases related to your work for tax purposes, this doesn't make it free or anything but it helps.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I actually just had this issue last weekend. The client required Max/ZB/PS files, so I couldn't skirt around the issue any longer and had to purchase full licenses of all 3. But to be honest it was the best decision I've ever made.

I'm using a small business loan to pay for it, and like EQ said, I'm able to write it off on next years income tax which is always nice.

Keep in mind, PS is now only $20/month for the full license, and as hard as I looked, Autodesk doesnt seem to do the 90 day commercial license anymore. What Racer mentioned though is true, with the subscription, its a yearly fee of like $500, but it gives you acccess to 3 years previous version of Max for commercial work. Which is awesome depending on the clients I take on and the tools/plugins they require.

Its an investment, your a business, and all businesses have expenses/startup costs.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    chiniara wrote: »
    I bought modo too when it was on a good sale and i loved it!

The Siggraph sale or the foundry acquiring Luxology 601 sale? I think it was $600 for Modo 601 during that acquisition sale.
    Blender is a option when you doesn't have the money!

Blender is at that point where its an option even if you have the money, if not as a primary app then as a secondary.
    I just wished that people who use modo for game art made a quick guide with the scripts and techniques they use for game art. The people who did Sly cooper thieves in time used modo extensively and same for the people who made Rage.

Someone correct me if i am wrong though.

Modo was used only for the characters in latest Sly Cooper game, I dont believe it was used exclusively for the all the art assets in the game. As for Rage, same thing, though it was used for only a small part of the production. I dont think game studios are ready to switch over to modo entirely just yet and right now it seems game artist have to rely on third party plugins (free) to get the most out of Modo for game art.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    About Blender, apparently someone it'll be getting the ability to export smooth groups soon, which should be very good news for anyone who was on the fence about jumping in before.
    Bek wrote: »
    Modo...in 701sp1 we got export selected

Wow, they finally listened to their customers on that one? About time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Remember that you can deduct any software (or hardware) purchases related to your work for tax purposes, this doesn't make it free or anything but it helps.

Isn't the maximum like 5000 a year? Though someone said you could carry over any purchases beyond the limit to the next year.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    chiniara wrote: »
    I just wished that people who use modo for game art made a quick guide with the scripts and techniques they use for game art. The people who did Sly cooper thieves in time used modo extensively and same for the people who made Rage.

Someone correct me if i am wrong though.
    I'm not an industry guy or anything, but I made a fairly basic doc with script usage / other tips for modo game art workflow. (I should really update it with links to Farfarers scripts) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H4Mv-9Zryg-Vn-5cA2g7eqIwLbiJD5ELHcjgGcPN1so/edit

Legend of Grimrock devs use modo. They have some stuff on their blog regarding its usage: http://www.grimrock.net/2011/09/08/building-the-dungeon/
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Wow, they finally listened to their customers on that one? About time.
    Yeah, although apparently it mucks up smoothing for some people.