Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Story/Work

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
zebus_0 polycounter lvl 7
So here's the 411 on me and what's going on:
I graduated last year with a BFA in Computer Animation. I was trained in Lightwave 3D, and I've spent maybe the last 4 months or more teaching myself to use 3DS Max. I made that decision because I want to get into the gaming industry as a prop/environment artist and the overwhelming majority of companies I looked at wanted Max competency. Also, in general now that I've used Max a bit I feel like I'm going to be able to use it more effectively, especially to model more natural and organic shapes, which was a pretty big weakness I had in Lightwave (partially, imo due to the failings of that program as far as sculpting goes).
My portfolio is at www.justinafleming.com
Right now it's basically bare bones, when I was in school so much focus was put on our Senior Show that I graduated basically with just one project completed (that show). I'm pretty gun-shy to even post my portfolio publically because of how weak I think it is, last time I posted it on a 3d board I got torn to pieces...and considered giving up animation entirely.
So general questions I guess, I haven't lurked here a super long time because I've been focused on self-teaching Max. Now that I know it, it's time to start building some substance into my portfolio. The question I ask is what should I put in it? I want to make props/environments so I think I'm going to work on building image galleries or props and adding more to the environment one and then cutting out the weaker stills. I assume that I should also include some that are wires instead of finished to show I can budget polygons.
I'm also starting to wonder if I shouldn't attempt to add some more classic/plastic art pieces like paintings and drawings. I'm not very strong in that dept and haven't produced anything for a very long time, but I have a feeling it's going to become necessary.
Just asking for suggestions/feedback. I feel like I'm to the point now where I have a blank slate and I'm kind of directionless on what I should do. So far I have no industry experience, period, I worked for a small start up where I live now but it was a sketchy deal and I got laid off due to "budget cuts". My plan right now is to take some job shopping trips to larger metro areas in Texas and possibly California/East coast to try and get either a job or internship. I live in Missouri, and the market is nonexistent/way oversaturated/static for that kind of work.
Any feedback/comments appreciated.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd start simply on a single prop before moving on to entire scenes.

It's hard to say from what you've presented, but I believe that your major weakness is the material rather than the geometry. Aside from the bottle, they seem to include only diffuse maps without any normal or specular maps.

If you're determined to get into games, then you need to understand the entire process, from creating hi poly models, burning them into lo poly models, exporting, and then displaying in a game engine. Most of the popular game engines (UDK, Unity, etc.) have a freely available version you can download; browse the sites, pick one, and learn it.

As far as presentation is concerned, include the rendered image (preferably in game), hi & low poly images including wireframes, and texture sheets.

Unless you are trying for a concept artist position, most companies don't care about traditional artwork, just your 3D stuff. You can certainly put it online, but I'd default to the 3D portfolio and have the 2D artwork on a link.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I really liked your portfolio. Interesting photography and the asylum video was incredibly eerie. My advice would be to get into some sort of small team or group working on a mod or indie game, you can learn alot from those kinda things and build up your portfolio. I'd suggest constantly trying to improve your skill on several different styles and genres, the more creative power you have the better.
  • zebus_0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, my major weakness is materials. That project was built entirely in Lightwave, I know the shoddy workman blames his tools but the texturing process in it always confused me. I didn't get a lot of good instruction on it, when I asked questions most of the time I was just told to find a tutorial which isn't always helpful. I haven't done a lot of texturing yet in Max but it does seem to be easier, certainly easier to at least get more layered textures that are something besides a bitmap with some bump on it. There's some specular in there but no maps, just the built-in stuff.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I also really enjoyed visiting your portfolio.

I agree with the points that have already been made. Perhaps a small project focusing on some prop creation could help develop those issues?

I really like your dark room photography, but unfortunately the digital photography section repeatedly failed to load :/

Well done with your work. I look forward to seeing it develop :)
  • zebus_0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that Maximus. Thank you guys for the positive feedback so far! The digital section loads for me, I'm using Chrome. Maybe try a cache clear I guess? Or a different browser.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    All seems fine now. I was indeed using Failfox on a laptop, but it all displays fine now that i'm back in chrome on my PC.

Impressive range of shots.

Very well done, all the best with the future of your portfolio :)