Home Technical Talk

Alpha grabdoc not working in Zbrush

azarkiowa
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
azarkiowa polycounter lvl 8
The grabdoc function under the alpha panel isn't grabbing any depth info from my 2.5 canvas. It grabs a pure white texture instead of the usual depth info you'd expect. This only happens after I've made edits with the 2.5 tools. Before making any edits, it grabs just fine. Anyone know what might be going on?

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Have you tried using the MRGBZ Grabber tool instead of the GrabDoc button?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Bartalon wrote: »
    Have you tried using the MRGBZ Grabber tool instead of the GrabDoc button?
    This.

In the tool menu you can get the MRGBZGrabber and capture hieght + any color information as well. Depending on what your trying to capture, you may want to turn off auto crop. :)
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For what its worth, I get the same thing regardless if I use grabdoc or MRGBZ.

I'm not sure if drawing with a 2.5D tool onto a blank space in the document winds up producing an extreme value which throws off the depth on everything else? If you're only drawing on the stamped part of a 3d tool, you could go into your Layer palette and adjust the Displace Z value. Even a simple push tends to get rid of any pixol that was drawn directly on the document, and returns the depth grab to a proper range.

Otherwise, fill the layer as your very first step so that you're not working with an empty document. Draw your 3d tools as needed, move them above the clipping plane if needed, and then use the 2.5d tools.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like there was a way to push back the entire canvas in 2.5d and i can't for the life of me remember how... Might not exist. But it'd be worth searching some zbrush 3 tuts I'd say. Or even Zb2(if that existed XD) Back when the program was primarily 2.5D.