Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

trash tutorial

supersp3nce
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
supersp3nce polycounter lvl 8
polypeople,

here is my free tut that uses max,ps,audacity, and unity. It is aimed at low level designers that use max and adobe. my goal was to get this done for my portfolio while helping junior artists such as myself with the ultimate goal of being featured in the polycount recap (best of luck to me).

you guys are all awesome and i hope to be as good as many of you are and maybe even find employment in the field.

ch33rs

sp3nce

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9276/trashrenderfinalcomppol.jpg

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    @Chillydog12345
    My guess is he used audacity to record the audio for his tutorial. though without being able to see it I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

@supersp3nce
    You haven't linked in the actual tutorial.
    Judging from the final image I don't think your quite at the stage to be doing tutorials yet either.
    trashrenderfinalcomppol.jpg
    The image shows no understanding of good presentation or colour theory. It shows a very limited understanding of texturing and baking. The model itself is half descent though and does read as a bin. Without seeing the tutorial I couldn't say for sure but I think you need to spend less time making tutorials and more time working on your own artwork.

I realise this might come across as a bit harsh and might not be something you want to hear but trust me I'm saying it because I want to help you.
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    It's awesome that you want to help other people but I would say keep learning how to model before you make a tutorial.

Some constructive critique; the edges are too tight on the high poly, smoother edges do not alias as bad when viewing the model from longer distances. The low poly wheels are completely different from the high poly, i'm sure this is down to having problems baking a round object. Try to keep the HP wheel to the same amount of faces as the LP and chamfer the HP edges. This enables you to bake perfectly.

It would be very helpful to see your UVs too.
  • supersp3nce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://spencercloughonline.com/biography.html

my bad on forgetting the link, posting the image was a little more tedious than i thought. i do not post much but just get on and look at the art on here, forums (and their people) can get a little crazy.

@all commenters (and thanks for the feedback!)
    this tut is aimed at junior artists by a junior artist.

@Chillydog12345
    i used audacity for a brief amount of time to put audio into the short animation. camtasia is what i used for recording.

@AzzaMat @Chillydog12345
    this is meant to show a junior artist getting into 3d a wide variety of techniques that they may have trouble grasping such as myself.

@AzzaMat @Chillydog12345 @Holland
    i do need to get much better at texturing but just wanted to get at least one tutorial produced to boost my portfolio, this just gives a quick look into the material editor and working with a diffuse texture. i also need to get better at the baking workflow, i just removed edges to make the lp and what not before the unwrap. i will look into making my final artpiece contain the uv's as many designers have been doing.

thanks for the feedback and i will keep working on my skills in relation to baking, making softer edges, and getting a better understanding of texturing and my own artwork.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    i do need to get much better at texturing but just wanted to get at least one tutorial produced to boost my portfolio
    By what everyone is saying, I think it is in the end not boosting your portfolio if it is aimed as a professional game artist portfolio. If you are a first year student then sure, but 3 years down the road when applying, you should have enough stuff to replace this or redo it.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    By what everyone is saying, I think it is in the end not boosting your portfolio if it is aimed as a professional game artist portfolio. If you are a first year student then sure, but 3 years down the road when applying, you should have enough stuff to replace this or redo it.

I went on his profile.... hes just graduated from a games design degree....
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Here's an actual link to the tutorial since OP won't properly link it, and I see why http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpGPWKO0YZ2NSLTx-60r41XOxguRrgSbe

Ok this is bad. Everyone, this is an 18 HOUR, 92 part video tutorial for a ~1 hour asset, at beginner quality.

I agree with AzzaMat that the outcome is not good enough for you to even be making a tutorial, but seriously read the sentence above this. An 18 hour, 92 part video. Either you are joking or have lost your mind. This is ridiculous.

...18 hour, 92 part video....

Please, OP, remove this from the internet. Save yourself and others from this information.
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    Yeahhh you've gotta be EXTREMELY dedicated to watch an 18 hour tutorial. And the tutorial HAS to cover professional standard & quality material. If you're planning to boost up your portfolio, why not study more about realistic assets or game models and start making more higher quality models? I doubt having a long tutorial video is better than having a nicely rendered scene/character
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Hmmm I noticed that as well. A four year degree, was it full time? Because after four years on a course that teaches CG you should be at a much higher level than this. I teach on a games art course and your work is at our first year level, maybe mid way through the year, possibly earlier, and these are students who have never touched a 3D program before. On the plus side you take critique well, a valuable trait to have.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Yeah, please listen to the words here without being overly upset about it. Earthquake once told me as a junior artist "Please don't try to explain things you don't understand". That applies here. After you build your skillset for a while, you'll look back at this and see why.

Bottom line, junior artists should not teach other junior artists. The internet is too vast with communities bearing free help to resort to that.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    this tut is aimed at junior artists by a junior artist.

I'm not sure anyone would ever need this. The only reason tutorials exist is to learn a skill from someone that is at a higher skill level.

And why is it 18 hours long? Do you think people will really watch all 92 videos? In 15+ years, I've never seen or heard of anything like this, and I'm astonished. Like everyone else here says, an asset like this would take a pro level artist about one hour. Anyone that knows how game art works will see this, and that will not reflect well on you. I'm with Chris.. honestly, the sooner this is off the internet, the better for you and young artists that might take this seriously.

Straight talk: The only reason a tutorial should be ~18 hours long is if it's from an extremely high level professional and it's part of a paid (and ideally, credited) art course. Also, you're not really at a level where you should be making tutorials yet. I've gone through parts of some of the videos and there are a lot of things here that more experienced artists would know not to do, and would hold back junior artists trying to learn.

And on the note of people asking about your school\education -- it might be worth it not to address or acknowledge that at all, because that sort of thing can open a can of worms and it's only going to look bad.

All that aside, you have a good attitude and take feedback really well. Good on you. I hope you'll understand this in the spirit in which it's intended.
  • RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavenTheBird polycounter lvl 12
    No offend, from what I see now you should more focus on learning rather then giving out tutorial, and I kindly happy that you willing to share out your knowledge to others possible who don't know this technical.

All the great artist is grow up with critique, and wish you be an very good artist in near future :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Jon Jones wrote: »
    And why is it 18 hours long? Do you think people will really watch all 92 videos? In 15+ years, I've never seen or heard of anything like this, and I'm astonished.

In 15+ years you'll still be modelling a trash can.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I hope they feature this in the recap. Will you be doing more tuts in the future? This tut has taught me so much about design and color theory, I can't begin to thank you enough. Thank you for bestowing your wisdom on me!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    The Dubstep music is the cherry on top.
  • cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    haha ooft you lads savaged this poor soul..

i get restless watching digital tutors well thought out lessons so i would cry having to watch an 18 hour long one to create what basically is a rectangle :).

But yeah i agree with what everyone's saying. more time learning less time trying to teach others :)

Chin up and keep learning!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Am I the only one who finds this thread title especialy ironic? :)

I couldn't even find a gif funny enough.....and i tried....Hard.....
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well, good for you for making a tutorial! I find that one of the ways I learn best is by teaching. If that's your case too, cool. If this was a distraction to you, and a selfless gesture of kindness, then go back to modelling privately instead of recording tutorials.

In any case, post your work here so we can critique it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched the first 2 videos and my main piece of advice would be to have a plan. You really wander all over the place and don't really sound like you know what's going to happen next. The way you meander into tangents about Windows tips and talking about the crate mesh and other things just makes it take WAY longer than it should. I don't think anything was even accomplished in those first 2 videos other than doing a Google search.

So a little planning would go a long way, IMO.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I think so far you have gotten very valid opinions and critiques involved with this tutorial. I find it horrible seeing some polycounters comments though, I decided to go onto Spencer Clough's site to look up some information about him... I believe anyone willing to take arms to defend our freedom deserves respect.

With that said. I think making a tutorials at this degree of skill is not the best thing to do. What you posted on your about page sounds very humble and I feel you were just trying to do something nice for the community. I thank you for this gesture.

I think you have a decent grasp of the technical goings of the programs. This is the stage where you need to explore the artistic side. Study forms , color, texture, and tactile material studies. Work on prop assets is great. I would go into into some of the 3D motive tutorials since those are very straight forward and get results. Do not be afraid to remake and rework an asset several times to get the look needed. I find it that the second or third time I make something it is easier and better. This is an industry of repetition sometimes. I have made several trash cans, several windows, and several misc props. To me something like this prop could be done super quick especially if it is just a side prop in the game. But also this is not about speed. The moments you learn are the best time you have. Do not rush yourself to get into the industry just yet. Give yourself the needed time to hone your skills. Post your wips here and fellow polycounters will help you out.

Sometimes I find myself with low energy to art and in those times I listen to Bobby Chiu pod casts hearing how hard a person like Bobby Chiu has worked to get where he is at is just damn right inspiring to me. One thing to remember and this goes to everyone who posted here. We were all juniors once or even newbies at all this. I have assets that look like this saved up in my collection of hard drives. I actually have written tutorials in my junior years that I just look back and shake my head in shame.

We all start from somewhere. Hone your skills do not let some of the people here get to you, those people who are being rude do not listen to them. I hope all is well keep on going!

I will not lie to you though you have a long trek to go through to get to be considered a junior. With concentrated work I have seen some people at your level take around 1-3yrs of concentrated super dedicated work. You might be able to get some freelance in places but that will be slim pickings.

Good luck
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I actually really appreciate that you put so much time into making these tutorials for the masses. Thanks man :)
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is quite the shit-storm isn't it? I give you credit for trying and wanting to help others, however this is, like most people said, juniors teaching juniors.. Now I'm completely self taught with tutorials and could make this final picture here in less than 30 minutes (Longer including render times and stuff). Plus the fact that it's 18 hours, I mean it's good if you go into detail with what you are doing, but still, no one would ever watch that.

Also something I just noticed is how the high poly looks nothing like the low poly. For instance look at the wheels, there was no point in doing high poly wheels if you were just going to throw a texture on it in the first place.

Anyway, good luck with what you're doing and take all this as a lesson rather than people bashing your work.
  • supersp3nce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @VESIUS - I'm not expert level but was just showing people what I know since people dont like to share for free. Thanks for the comment though and I need to get better with the whole baking routine, know of any good study material (free)? Thank you sir

@MatthewO - a breath of fresh air in a place that smells of burnt sh*t

@rolegio - Thank you kindly, this is what I was expecting from real designers. I get that the prop is easy but my education was severely lacking and I am grateful for having the b.a. but still have a long way to go. Thanks for the comment btw and your site images rock!

@perna Thanks, I've been doing some simple assets and timing myself and they get easier every time (model/unwrap/texture/render). I wanted to do my tutorial that way but was kind of a bum about it, my next one will move much faster and contain all the info in a more timely manor by practice making "the wing of a plane" for instance without showing my refining and refining the model. thank you sir

WarrenM - aimed at rookies, nobody ever showed me that stuff. I am just trying to show peeps every little step and though process, will be corrected in the future no doubt, ty.

@Joopson - thanks bro, a distraction it was...you little mind reader you...

@s620ex1 - kind of a jerk comment, yes i titled it that way seeing as it was my first tut.

@Torch - im so confused...

@RavenTheBird - i will never quit, even though it is hard. ty

@AzzaMat - ITT, it sucked and they didn't teach us anything

to the nice guys (you know who you are) that typed me great messages and the nice short ones as well, thanks. MOTIVATION
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    19 hours in 97 tutorial videos?
    e65.gif

sry, no offence, but as other said, you should wait untill you get some skill and then making tutorials.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    What is the problem here? He can do as he chooses. Welcome him with critique. I'm sure he learnt a lot in this process and he is more than able to spend however long he wants recording it. The fact he's at least trying to contribute to the community stands for a lot more than most people on here.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I think you got some good tips and pointers in here, Super. Take the good with the bad. I really wouldn't pay any attention to those that came here strictly to troll.

Thanks for all of your effort! Live and learn, and keep moving forward!
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    While I agree that being able to take critiques well is an awesome trait to have, being able to respectfully give critiques is as important. Let's be respectful with feedback, please.