Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio: s kritskiy

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone.

I've been working in Russia for a long time and now I've decided to look for fulltime opportunities abroad. I've collected some of the works on the web and I'll be thankful for comments/critique: http://hundredsofsparrows.com/ttw/

Thanks!

p.s. link to the site comes out from email with cover letter, the site itself isn't public: that's why there's aalmost no personal information there.

Replies

• Matīss_Sola
    To be honest kritskiy I left your page immediately.You should pay attention to it's design so It's more appealing. :)
    You have some nice work in here!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, thats a lot of beutiful stuff. Though the site design is less than solid.
  • silkroadgame
    Yeah,I agree.A good designed site would help to attracting more opportunities for you.Anyway,your works are very nice.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Wow you have great stuff. I love that dominator 2D art, its amazing. Made me want to play the game right away, really.

Try making your navigation bigger, center more to the right and get a proper logo.
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Beautifull work. Very strong style.
    The lack of site design doesn't bother me, It's got a simple menu and the images load fast : the work speaks for itself and there is plenty of it.

I saved a few of your illustrations that I really liked and noticed you didn't put your name or email anywhere (file name for example)I would change that.

So much talent and great art coming from Russia nowadays!!!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Offline / Send Message
    AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
    Dominator Art is amazing! I might say you could work a bit on the design, but i quite like the simplicity of it, and as battlecow says, works and loads fast. I would change the first page to something more interesting than the youtube reel though, that's what throws me off the most.

Anyway, great artworks!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Your illustrations are wonderful, but definitely re-design your webpage layout! Maybe browse through some other Artists portfolios to see what works well.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I personally love that gemibear stuff, looks awesomely cute and remindes me of Little Big Planet!

But your site design is bad... that doesn't represent your awesome works.
    Do something more simple. Go through some of the portfolio threads here on PC, there are a bunch of great portfolios!
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

battlecow, that's actually a very nice idea! I'll add my name to images. Some time ago I found myself in situation when I had a bunch of images and had no idea who's an author

AlbinLundahl, you're right, I'll change the first page so it'd look more.. 'welcoming' I guess

Regarding the site's design: to tell the truth I was trying to keep the layout as simple as possible, because as a lead artist I look through lots and lots of portfolio websites and most of them are too complicated, too arty or use broken jquery galleries, when images begin to popup, or open in browser's width instead of full size and so on. The worst case scenarios when artist are thinking that they can do webdesign because in most cases they don't. And then we see terrible typography, terrible layouts and terrible web coding, this worsen the feeling about the actual images. I'm aware that I paint a bit better than do webdesign, so I decided to show the best part. If navigation is inconvenient — that's another matter, I'd like to hear what's wrong with it, but I'm not sure that something is wrong with simplest layout. I'll go and check out some other portfolios but those I've seen before (and I like) differ only in background color :)

S.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Regarding the navigation:

What you have now is fairly functional but incredibly boring. For example, the text "Misc" doesn't interest me at all, yet it contains awesome art. Why not go with a layout that uses labeled images for categories, so I will already have an idea of what "misc" contains? I've also heard that the FIRST thing anyone should see is your current best work, that advice makes quite a lot of sense to me and seems to work well in these portfolios for example (I assume it's fine to link random polycounters portfolios as examples):

http://www.torfrick.com/
    http://www.lonewolf3d.com/
    http://www.metalliandy.com/

All those layouts are simple and show the art right away, which captures interest. Having your main page just an embedded youtube video with text categories doesn't capture my interest.

Here's also a random blog post I have bookmarked with some basic advice regarding portfolio presentation, you might find some points useful: http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/2011/i-hate-your-portfolio/
  • darkscythe
    nice work nice illustration
  • Kuki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Domanitor Art is simply amazing, so strong
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek, thanks for comprehensive answer, labeled images on the front page is quite simple & demonstrative. I'll do that!
  • whw
    Bek: Of the three you've linked, I would say Tor's is definitely the strongest. Simple centralised design. Perfect.