Home General Discussion

Getting a job at a Qand A position, as a 3d Artist

chilemang
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
chilemang polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, so one of my teachers told me a video game company that is local is looking to fill a few positions some being QA spots and one 3d generalist, my question is what are the chances somebody in the QA department can move up to do something like become a junior artist at a company, is it worth it to wait around in a studio til they have a position? Has anyone ecountered this sort of question before?

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uMS8mGAlKI"]Game Artist F.A.Q. #2 "Should I do QA to get in?" - YouTube[/ame]
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Depends on the company, some studio's offer jobs out internally first before advertising to the masses. If you're already embedded in the company and your portfolio is decent most would be more likely to hire you as you'd already be privy to some of their internal workings (as long as you're not a douchebag that is ^^)

Most QA jobs are also contract, with a minority of studios having a high turn over of staff so opportunities are thin. If you decide to go for the QA position make sure that in your interview you seem really interested in it and don't use a phrase like 'I'm doing this so I can get an artist job' as that's a quick way to get declined.

If I was in your position and it was local I'd go for it just for some additional studio experience/money, if you're a decent employee and your work is good you'd stand a good chance of moving up if the opportunity appears.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    A QA job is better than MacDonalds! It's a good way to get a look at how the industry works and shows when you are applying to art jobs that you are very interested in the industry. I have friends who went from QA to art, not necessarily in the same company but it didn't hurt their career. I hire where I work at the moment and would definitely hire or help out an aspiring QA guy.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    There's some solid advice in this thread so far.

One thing: don't call it "Q and A" in an interview, as that means "Questions and Answers", not "Quality Assurance".
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 15
    Not as good as an internship would be, but QA can help you meet people. Try freelance on the side.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    jmt wrote: »
    There's some solid advice in this thread so far.

One thing: don't call it "Q and A" in an interview, as that means "Questions and Answers", not "Quality Assurance".

although having dedicated Q and A people sounds like a useful thing too ;)
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chilemang polycounter lvl 9
    Right QA got it
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I've seen QA dudes becoming game designers, but never artists. Not that it's impossible, just never saw it. I'd say that if you need a job to make ends meet, go for it. But the time you'll be spending doing QA is time you spend NOT doing art, and QA can be so intense that you'll be burned out quick. And I've seen this happen...
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That route doesn't always work, but it did for me...sorta.

I didn't move up through QA, but did QA right out of college and made friends with some artists. I was eventually let go as part of a layoff, but I kept in contact...a few years later, they were looking to bring on an additional artist and I got fast tracked in because several people recommended me for the job.

I should say though, I didn't get the job specifically because I knew people and worked there in QA...that alone won't get you a job, it just helped put my resume/portfolio in front of the right people. I would consider myself very lucky, as I haven't seen many artists come up through QA either.

So should you do it? Its not going to guarantee you a shot at getting in as an artist. I personally think the experience is cool. I enjoyed it because it was my first chance to get in at a studio and see how game development works. Also, I ended up enjoying searching for bugs. But like other people have said...it is indeed difficult to work on that portfolio when your crunching. So you kinda have to weigh things for yourself.

Also, if your going to do it, make sure your taking a QA job in-house at a studio, its entirely different than doing publisher QA. Working in-house means you are actaully around developers, but if your working at a publisher QA facility, your not going to be anywhere near those people.