Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Blackheart

Replies

• Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa I started this thread a long time ago, time to really fill it up now.
    Over the last 2 weeks I've started to play with zbrush coming from sculptris, I'm right now in that exctied phase were everything's possible to make, and its slowly opening up to me.

so please feel free to crit on all my work, I just want to get better and better.

for starters, I couldn't finish Akuma within the 2week deadline, so i added a quick poly paint of him. still learning how to render in zbrush!

1-7.jpg

11111.jpg
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warning nudity,

Cartoony girl!, added 2 paint overs,
    Trying rim lighting on photoshop.

bethort.jpg

ortho.jpg

paintover.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the first character, great job on that. Only crit is that the clothes doesn't seem to have any thickness to them, but that could pretty easily be fixed in a regular 3D app.

Second character is pretty good but it looks like the neck is posed really weirdly (looks like she's standing straight with a backwards bent neck). The lower legs looks a bit too thin in my opinion.
    You might also want to look into SSS shaders for the skin as I think that'd make that look a bit better. I'm not sure but it looks like you're using DOF which I don't really think works for this render/angle. I don't really like the rim-lighting on the girl either, I think you should have just made that in your 3D app instead.

I also took a look at the portfolio from your sig and there's some great stuff there. Really love your sculpts. But if you have done any post-work (other than just changing backgrounds and color tweaks) like on the girl with the rim-lighting I think you should clearly state that.

Otherwise good job!
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    I really like the first character, great job on that. Only crit is that the clothes doesn't seem to have any thickness to them, but that could pretty easily be fixed in a regular 3D app.

Second character is pretty good but it looks like the neck is posed really weirdly (looks like she's standing straight with a backwards bent neck). The lower legs looks a bit too thin in my opinion.
    You might also want to look into SSS shaders for the skin as I think that'd make that look a bit better. I'm not sure but it looks like you're using DOF which I don't really think works for this render/angle. I don't really like the rim-lighting on the girl either, I think you should have just made that in your 3D app instead.

I also took a look at the portfolio from your sig and there's some great stuff there. Really love your sculpts. But if you have done any post-work (other than just changing backgrounds and color tweaks) like on the girl with the rim-lighting I think you should clearly state that.

Otherwise good job!

Thanks for checking out my work, I really appreciate all feed back right now since I'm still trying to get my head around zbrush, coming from sculptris.

With Akuma, I'm still in the process of making a low poly version with normals, I will be updating him soon, and with thicker clothing. That's the plan anyway.

The girl has been trouble-some, especially defining cartoon characteristics while detailing the model. Her neck definitely stands out from the side, ill adjust it after her retopo ... (not fun :( ).

Yep, I'm still trialing rendering techniques in general but not prioritizing it to much right now. I just want to get these guys textured, rigged then animated asap :).
    I never quite understood dof, still working on how it looks good on keyshot. However I will check out more tuts on zbrush rendering. Atm these pics and paint-overs are so I can get a bit of motivation to keep on working on the characters! :).
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew!, This was a huge learning curve! Ive wanted to make a High to low poly char with normals, for about 5 years now. I'm happy enough with this first attempt to get onto rigging.

First played around with fibre mesh. Enjoyed it, used multiple polygroups on the skull to get the shape i wanted, hair was hard to make into locks and curls but straight hair seemed to work well, then I merged something together and corrupted my files. :)

Modeled the clothing for the girl.
    Low topology on Zbrush almost killed me!, I redid it 5 times trying to find the rouge polygons that were collapsing my projection (looks like it was caused as i accidentally added low topology on the mirrored side of my model. wondering if anyone else has had issues with that.)

UV's adjusted in Maya but mainly set up through zbrush. That was a headache in itself. Then went on to texturing and baking out normals on xnormals. eventually figured out how to adjust cage meshes! then restarted baking out textures again. I used Normal maps, Convexity? map (red channel) and AO map and Colours then a copy of ao(multipy)on top.

Beauty Shot - rendered in Maya - Area light raytraced - still learning the ropes with rendering

bettydoll.jpg

High poly - Zbrush Render
    highpolybettydoll.jpg

Base mesh, wire-frame, normals, and colored low poly mesh.
    normalprocess.jpg

ROUGH! texture sheet, of both normals and color. I repeat rough texture, I had so much trouble getting comfortable texturing a stylized character, the fight between realism and style is ongoing mush respect everyone whoes comfortalbe with this. I will be getting back to it eventually (after I rig and somehow find my PSD files amongst the mess in my desktop)

normaltexture.jpg
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking quite good, but needs more work in order to look something special.

Firstly, she needs a specular map for the skin to add some variation rather than that plastic/clay look.

Second, the fabric could do with more work to add some realism and interest. You've done a good job, but could do with a few more finer details.

Third, the lighting is fine in the final render, but personally I'd go with 3 point. Main, fill and rim lights.

Fourth, possibly give her a real time skin shader powered in a program like UDK. Take a look a look here to have a better idea what I mean.

Fifth, she's in a neutral pose, which is fine, but to add more interest to the character I suggest you pose her. You don't even have to go to the trouble of skinning and rigging her, you can quickly use transpose tools in zbrush.

Sixth and finally, if it's a game character then she should be rendered in a real time shader. I recommend using UDK, but you can also use Marmoset or Xoliul shader in Max/maya.

You've done the hard work, hope I've been of some help to you.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking quite good, but needs more work in order to look something special.

Firstly, she needs a specular map for the skin to add some variation rather than that plastic/clay look.

Second, the fabric could do with more work to add some realism and interest. You've done a good job, but could do with a few more finer details.

Third, the lighting is fine in the final render, but personally I'd go with 3 point. Main, fill and rim lights.

Fourth, possibly give her a real time skin shader powered in a program like UDK. Take a look a look here to have a better idea what I mean.

Fifth, she's in a neutral pose, which is fine, but to add more interest to the character I suggest you pose her. You don't even have to go to the trouble of skinning and rigging her, you can quickly use transpose tools in zbrush.

Sixth and finally, if it's a game character then she should be rendered in a real time shader. I recommend using UDK, but you can also use Marmoset or Xoliul shader in Max/maya.

You've done the hard work, hope I've been of some help to you.

Thanks for the pointers! It will be a huge help to me once I understand how everything is utilized with a few tuts.
    I'm checking out UDK now (I've always heard that abbreviation at work, and I never realized it was for Unreal Dev kits.)

I'm hoping to get the skin shaders working after I add a specular map.
    I'm thinking about just adding a few little details like a purse or rings aswell as touching up the dress. I guess I can hold off rigging until there done too :)

Much appreciated!
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock and Roll, update time

been working on a moviefest 3D entry over at ga. This is my wip so far.
    not happy that it veered away from the concept but its going to a better place right now lol

crits appreciated \m/,

Lily.jpg~original
  • Blackheart
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movie fest upd.

<3 Maromset!!!!

lilyblack2.jpg~original

lilyblack.jpg~original
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Movie fest done :)
    onto new stuff.

Concept-TextureShot-1.jpg~original
    PresentationShot.jpg~original
    ConstructionShot.jpg~original
    beauty3.jpg~original
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good effort! its quite hard to see the details on her, maybe a better lighting setup with some back lighting would help also the background is a very similar colour to her body so she doesnt pop out of the background much
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ged, I really appreciate the feedback and completely agree.

I'll aim for a new lighting render and background before the comps over. at least for the beauty shot.
    I also darkened the wings in Photoshop to try and keep the focus on her body mostly. ill play around with that too.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work! I really like the colors you have got going there.

I do agree with Ged though, the render is too dark overall. A good back light would be nice and maybe consider having deep blues instead of all that black on her body. If you look at the texture and it's completely black then yeah it's too much for sure.

I also feel like the spec & Gloss needs more work for sure. Her body feels oily now. Consider having the bright spots on the blood spatter but less so on her body.

Overall really nice work :) I really like the design and actually prefer the view-port render than the beauty shot.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Chris,
    So much awesome crits, I've reworked the texture and removed a few of the occlusion multiply layers, they were hiding the details around the gory bits. On spec, I reworked it from scratch and added more graininess to the skin, feels abit more fleshy now. Although I'm not getting the right effect when I increase the spec on the blood splatters, still have to play around with that.

I also realized my monitor at home is super bright which wasn't helping me lighten my up texture and render. Have to figrue out how to calibrate that properly too ARGH!

new update :)

newbeautyshot.jpg~original
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D thinga majig!

Lily - V/H/S Moviefest 2013 (click to view in 3D)
    4857e036216562941f7cfde4e376782fproject-preview-250x250.jpg