Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sherlock Holmes - Tower Bridge Recreation (1850's)

Chimi Jimi
polygon
Offline / Send Message
Chimi Jimi polygon
Hey guys,
This is my final year project the idea is to recreate a fairly iconic part of London in the 1850's the Tower Bridge when it was under construction and take inspiration from the film Sherlock Holmes, here is my progress so far, looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow the progress at

http://jamesrutterart.tumblr.com/

Though i will be keeping this thread updated as much as possible :)

tumblr_mlrnrgugWR1s2yl66o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlrnrgugWR1s2yl66o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlrnrgugWR1s2yl66o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlrnrgugWR1s2yl66o4_r1_1280.jpg
And just the construction sites that i have started work on in zbrush

tumblr_mlrnrgugWR1s2yl66o5_r1_1280.jpg

Replies

• akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Fantastic work, i want more ! :p
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
  • 3dlix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like it. keep on. engine render?
  • vreza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreza polycounter lvl 12
    you should put CE3 tag on your thread title.
    great work. sub'd.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    Hey guys,

Cheers for the kind words guys, still got a long way to go and i'm planning on working into the tiling textures with some vertex painting asap..so much to do so little time :P its all in Cryengine 3

@vreza im not sure how to but as soon as i find out will do :P

tumblr_mlz4ytGmwC1s2yl66o1_1280.jpg

And just some very quick marmoset renders

tumblr_mlz4ytGmwC1s2yl66o2_1280.jpg

Im planning on replacing the loose bricks in the pic above as there just to low poly at the moment

tumblr_mlz4ytGmwC1s2yl66o3_1280.jpg
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    An update on the project.

This week i have created the modular housing set so far i have finished the shop and upper modular parts all i need to do now is finish the housing entrance and then i can create an entire street which will be good oh and fill in the windows and some closed signs.
    In between finishing off the greyscale models and uv’s i decided to rework the crates to something abit more timeline specific also the old ones just looked a bit dull.
    I should have the modular set completed tommorrow and then i will be moving onto street assets some of which i already have blocked out such as news stands and signs you see outside of cafe’s i just haven’t got round to texturing them yet.

tumblr_mmc51jvGl71s2yl66o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmc51jvGl71s2yl66o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmc51jvGl71s2yl66o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmc51jvGl71s2yl66o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmc51jvGl71s2yl66o1_1280.jpg
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    Smallish update finished off the housing and shop windows also created a new road that is somewhat more interesting then the old dirt road will be adding some railing infront of some of the windows next and then going on to add many more streets assets.

tumblr_mmhyx4u7Qc1s2yl66o1_1280.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that your about a half-century off on the date - both Sherlock Holmes and the tower bridge construction occurred much later (~1890).

The light from the gas lamps should be more yellow, and should affect the color of the fog near the lamp.
    london_gas_lamps05.jpg

The lighter brick building has some fairly obvious repeating details on the texture; the two areas of darker brick really stand out when viewed from a distance.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work,like the textures and details!
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    Hey

im going to be blaming the mis date on sleep deprivation :P though i just misinterpreted late 1800's and somehow had 1850 stuck in my head.

I changed the glow now to a a yellow and whacked up the diffuse on the emitting light so its more noticable yellow now however i cant seem to make it affect the fog if anyone knows please let me know i checked through the sdk guide thing for a good 3 hours while tweaking the fog and couldn't find a way.

I'm planning on revisiting that texture its horrid just want to put a lil bit more life in the scene and then im on it.

Aside from the above change i also added in a T-Junction at the end of the street to cut the scene off and then went about placing the modular building around the edge i should be getting another house to put in-between soon from a friend so that should help break up the repetitiveness. Other changes are that i replaced all the path well corrected it though i want to add some vertex painting to that at some point.

Still got a looooong way to go before im slightly happy

tumblr_mmjz885MA71s2yl66o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmjz885MA71s2yl66o2_1280.jpg
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    more updates inc i have added a cart in preparation for a small market esque area minus the crates so its looks a lil bit silly atm :P i added a piece at the end of the road where it meets the bridge and to make a smooth crossover between the two, i then sorted out the texture on the back building added in some vertex painting, and then decided to create a painted on advertisement though im not sure about it at the moment i will come back to that soon.

tumblr_mmmara032O1s2yl66o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmmara032O1s2yl66o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmmara032O1s2yl66o3_1280.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the fog is actually smog, then the fog should have a yellowish tinge (the source of the phrase "pea-souper"). While the image below is from the 1952 event, similar fogs were reported in the winter of 1891 and 1892.
    Photos+of+the+London+Smog+Disaster+of+1952+%286%29.jpg

The cobblestones really should have a normal map; they seem quite flat. Also, consider making the street damp or wet to further the impression of a thick fog near the river.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    hey everyone hope your doing good,

just thought id post up where im at with the scene after this i will take a lil break from the scene as the hand in is on Tuesday also i really really want to have a go at building sci-fi ship i found a concept of never tried sci-fi so it should be fun and then ill come back and add a few extra bits here and there.

But just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted feedback and support was a huge help :)

hope i did it some justice

tumblr_mmpx4br2DC1s2yl66o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmpx4br2DC1s2yl66o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmpx4br2DC1s2yl66o3_1280.jpg

p.s im very tired so i may have gone overboard on the orange not sure tho gunna try looking again once im more awake :P
  • LiamHurst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far on the assets. Well worth continuing the scene after handing it in and use it as a portfolio piece. You don't have to stick to the ultimate realism then and can snatch a few movie tricks. It's all about presentation.

Color grading / Time of day: Even though it is more realisitic at the moment, you may better approach the likings of people outside of the CG world with Blorange (lot's of dark blue and a few hints of orange from street lights etc.). It's what the most people remember from the most recent Sherlock Holmes movies and is easily associable with the dark times of England.

And to break up the odd sky, turn up the stars multiplier. Currently the illumination of the fog gives your assets an odd silhuoette when facing the sky, while the background is empty. Also add some clouds with a small self illuminating material. A moon also looks good and contributes greatly to the overall lighting of the scene.

Tone the overall brightness a little down, put more spotlights in (assign white circle on a black background as an alpha texture in the menu of the light) and highlicht the important areas, e.g. the text on the building, some parts of the background bridge. A higher SSAO value wouldn't hurt either. Currently the shadows are a little lights.

Then, something that only few people use for their scenes are: Particles and decals.

Set up some decals. Newspapers, dirt, wood splinters, manholes hay and food rests. You can also easily set them up as a POM texture. Gret to break up the tiling of the street and sidewalk.

Set up some particles like a ground fog, which may come up from manholes. Particle fog looks good and doesn't impact perfomance that much. Then, tone down the fog so it's mainly visible in the background and the overall density of it, to show of the assets a little better.

Assets/Materials: The building's windows seem to be illuminated by a standard light in front of it. While that's not bad, a separate window material which illuminates itself looks better. In the material editor, there's a slider for glow, turn that one up a bit. Also turn up the specular and emissive sliders a bit to get some reflection in there. The light in the front can stay, CryEngine doesn't do too bad with many lights, also it illuminates the surrounding of the windows a bit.

If you need any further help with that, I'd be glad to help.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    Hey,

cheers for the feedback yer i plan to carry this on much further and thanks so much for all that crit ill get on it asap there have been a few changes since the update above but this is what i handed in for the one from final submission still got till the 31st to add more polish which i plan to do.

[vv]66310381[/vv]

Im also planning on reworking quite a few of the camera angles as there all at the same sort of height and there isn't enough change to keep it interesting
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd cut down on the camera cuts and try to come up with a more cohesive path for the camera. At the moment, most of the cameras feel very orthogonal, with the camera pointing at a fixed angle while moving in a straight line. Plot an interesting path through your scene, looking at points of interest along the way. Given your audio, you really should be telling a story with the video, not just showing disjoint scenes. I think you could do a much better job with a single continuous shot, matching the action to the words.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    Update on the scene i have changed quite abit since the edit above completley relooked the sky adding clouds sorting the moon and stars out amplifying bits and pieces so that the scene became less flat and materials were not lost as easily. I then added a new asset to the scene, changed the colouration of the streetlights and altered a few settings there and relooked the tiling texture on the red buildings.

Planning to add a little bit of rain fall fog to the floor just because after doing a paintover it seemed to add a little bit extra to the scene but nothing like before something much much more subtle.

tumblr_mnbec34FYi1s2yl66o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnbec34FYi1s2yl66o2_1280.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll rarely see the moon when it's raining that heavily; at best there will be a brighter spot on the clouds. On cold, damp nights, there will often be a halo around the moon caused by ice crystals refracting the light:
    Moon+Halo+dj+Busby+PB210006-2.JPG
    The lighting overall seems too bright and sharp. Rain tends to cause light to become muted and diffuse; consider the following scene:
    chinatown_rain_1_big.jpg
    Notice also how the rain effectively causes a subtle fog effect on the distant objects, and that even close objects have become blurred.