Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyber Owl

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
arun nagar polycounter lvl 8
cyberowl.jpg

Personal Study inspired from amazing concept art "Cyber owl" by "Konstantin Maystrenko"

Low poly model, tri count ~35K, two 2K, one 1K size map used for character, gun has separate 2K size map.

here are additional images.

cyberowlsa.jpg

cyberowlsb.jpg

cyberowlta.jpg

cyberowltb.jpg

cyberowlw.jpg

Thanks and all feedback are most welcome.:)

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, amazing sculpt, the lowpoly looks great, but I think you lost a lot of the detail of the face in the lowpoly. in the sculpt you have this great feather texture, and the beak is nicly seperated from the rest of the face, but in the lowpoly the whole face is a sort of noise smear.

everything else looks amazing. :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your sculpt looks good, but your color usage is completely off.
    Color theory is really important. Try picking a complementary sheme or get something from adobe kuler (online), the ones you have are way too many, have no good values and do not fit together at all.

The pose you use makes the character look like he only has one big arm, which is making it odd. Also your weapon (texture) looks like a really oldschool texture from games like UT or Quake 3.
  • Reale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    Shrike wrote: »
    Your sculpt looks good, but your color usage is completely off.
    Color theory is really important. Try picking a complementary sheme or get something from adobe kuler (online), the ones you have are way too many, have no good values and do not fit together at all.

The pose you use makes the character look like he only has one big arm, which is making it odd. Also your weapon (texture) looks like a really oldschool texture from games like UT or Quake 3.

did you take a look at the concept art? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ghUhpQptgUQ/UQm-5EDLGeI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/plZKAikp584/s1600/Cyber_owl(small).jpg because he stayed pretty accurate to the concept (with both colour scheme/pose and gun texture)

as to the OP I like the model but personally dont really like the anatomy of the concept, the only thing I would really comment on is the concept has more of an action looking pose where yours looks a bit too static.

one thing that is glaring to me is the lighting, its really bright in contrast to the concept which is more moody (also the spec on your character is a lot shinny-er...er...er)

I would also have liked to have seen the gun in more of a blue-ish texture as is with the concept.

also I spend most of my time looking at the lens flare rather than the model :S I hate lens flares :S

apart from that, it is a solid model and I adore your sculpts!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    His weak points are left testicle, right testicle, glans penis, spleen?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The concept has a completely different usage of color. There is maybe "Blue" at the same place as on the concept and so on, but theres a lot more to it than just pick "ah this is green, i make mine green"

On plus, the background needs to be considered, and even that lens flare.
    Per example, there is a purple tint in the flare that doesn't work at all with the rest.

On the concept, the white is less saturated and more bright. The head and the top of the chest stand out a lot better, and it works really well with the dark blue. On the model, the blue is not prominent at all. Its on the stomach, isolated and out of place. The concept has like 35% covered with that tone, opposed to another 35% army sheme (which has a really different greens again opposed to the model - this citron green is totally off, it is all cold tones, while the concept uses warm tones, contrasting the cold blue)

Those yellow rivets stand out, the camo stands out (which is not good)
    The model red is more magenta, those red parts on the weapons do not not compliment your composition
    The finger color is completely different
    There is too strong beige
    So many contrasts are different
    Also you need to know why a concept works, it is a still image. There are focal points, there is composition, there are so many factors

I could go on

Also to be clear, different from a concept in general is in no way a bad thing - if you do your own sheme that works. Id strongly recommend greyscaling the diffuse and try painting over with your own sheme, from a palette you put together before. If you cant tell the problems of it right now, then you wont see the problems at the next time, colors take time to learn.

https://kuler.adobe.com/#

I hope that helped you, nothing is worse than having an artwork where one part is really nice, but it dosnt work and you cant tell why by yourself

The sculpt is really great and totally portfolio worthy, Im sure you will give it justice in your next renders.
    (Also, stronger lights with stronger shadows will make it more heroic, your lighting right now is pretty flat and even + rim light(s))
  • arun nagar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arun nagar polycounter lvl 8
    thanks guys for the feedback, I will consider all in my next work, right now I am done with this character.
    here is one I have been working now, which kinda WIP - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119320
    your feedback are also welcome here so I can improve this more and more.:)