Home Technical Talk

Texturing socom mk23 -=wip=- NEED HELP!

Hello everybody! This is my first post here on polycount. So thank you forward to be patient with me!
I'm texturing (yep, that's my 1st time) a low poly model of a gun. I made hi-poly then lowpoly and did a transfer maps in Maya for normal maps. And that seems okTEXTURE_WIP.jpg

At this point i should make a normals for the "inscriptions" in Xnormal. So I tried to use height source from alpha or from grayscale value-both giving same result (outward 'displacement'). As far as i'm using soft normals on (almost) entire model it cause those gradients on normal map (where the geometry is actually flat). so making a straight text, converting it in normals and placing over the texture give me some weird lighting.screenshot0.jpg So what should I do? Is there some trick in PS?
Another problem that I have in Xn is ambient maps baking (as far as normal, but for those fortunally maya's working well). For now I'm just messing with baking parameters trying to find legit values. I even exploded my model! The method that seem to me more fulfilling is to convert tangent space normal map into cavity map. But the result is tooo smooth without getting those normal map artifacts, that's not a "true" ambient I see in this forum!
BTW, i'm started using marmoset toolbag. Noticed some highlights where are my texture seams are (with smooth edges). Is this possibly to avoid?
Other advices are welcome.

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    When overlaying normal maps, commonly you uncheck the B channel in the layer properties, and set the blending mode to Overlay/Soft Light/Hard Light.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    cptSwing wrote: »
    When overlaying normal maps, commonly you uncheck the B channel in the layer properties, and set the blending mode to Overlay/Soft Light/Hard Light.
    That is only part of it. You actually have to do a couple things in photoshop to blend normals together properly. There is a good video here. http://vimeo.com/8025133
  • _gelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, very appreciated your help
    I would like to get rid of those lighting artifacts, but don't know what causing them.
    screenshot0.jpg

I've used geometry normals matching in maya while baking nomal map. The entire model was soft edge. Should I harden UV seams, and rebake?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Harden uv borders
    2. Rebake
    3. Lock normals
    4. Triangulate
    5. Export

Should give you the best results going from Maya to Marmoset Toolbag.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    EarthQuake, ive heard about locking normals earlier. But how does one do it in maya. Is it a setting int he normal tab! by the way, my questionmark does not work on this crap mac, but it is a question :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    EarthQuake, ive heard about locking normals earlier. But how does one do it in maya. Is it a setting int he normal tab! by the way, my questionmark does not work on this crap mac, but it is a question :D

On my laptop here so I don't have access to maya, but its in the same menu as soften edge, harden edge, etc... Just under mesh -> ?
  • _gelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've did what Mr. EarthQuake said with this results
    screenshot3_copy.jpg
    screenshot2_copy.jpg
    At this point have some questions:

0. Locking normals:what it does? the whole normal map appears different and when triangulated some edges became hard.
    1. For uvs I've did complete unwrap for less distortion. Should I do a planar projection on geometry where goes the grip texture?
    2. polycount: what's optimal number for a realtime game? Is there some principle I must follow? Now there's 4k tris. The uv number is also has significance(as far as it's different from vertex count) ?
    3. Ambient occlusion map. I'm stack with this. Maya's baking not working. Xnormal request some serious digging in the settings. Crazybump just converts normalmap into grayscale image (maybe with my new normal texture it will work:shifty:). So the question is: what I have to do?

Another one: while converting a height map into a tangent space in Xnormal how to reverse the result? The details generated go "in the mesh" (sorry for my poor language) though I'm trying to get opposite effect.

PS. thanks a lot Mr. EarthQuake for your quick and precise reply:thumbup:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0. Locking normals is important, otherwise the vertex normals change when you triangulate the mesh(which causes shading errors). Though sometimes Maya gets all cranky when doing this. Skip this if its making things worse.
    1. Not sure what you mean. Post some images to explain?
    2. 5000-10000 is about normal for current generation hardware, for a first person gun in a typical first person shooter game. Less for 3rd person. 4K is fine.
    3. You'll really need to bake it in Xnormal. Maya can't bake highpoly to lowpoly AO maps, at least in the last version of Maya I used. You have to bake to the highpoly first, then bake that to the lowpoly, its really shite.

No idea about your height map question, don't really understand what you're asking.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    hello sir.Is there any way to 'lock' the normals of an untriangulated mesh in MODO? Locking normals sounds legit but I have never came across someone mentioning such a thing before :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Vertex Map > Set Vertex Normals.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi wrote: »
    hello sir.Is there any way to 'lock' the normals of an untriangulated mesh in MODO? Locking normals sounds legit but I have never came across someone mentioning such a thing before :)

I'm not sure if its necessary, in Maya you need to do it because a triangle's vertex normals are calculated differently than a Quad or Ngon's. In Max this isn't the case, I'm not sure about Modo.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    but as far as I know, shading of a nontriangular mesh is altering when triangulation applied. Is that lock normals method works for preventing the shading differences in-between nontriangular and triangulated mesh? Sounds like this is the purpose of that.
  • _gelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going further with texturing. Baked AO in xnormal with almost default settings (for distribution, choosed cosineSq). Camed out decent (maybe because of triangulated mesh). !So here need some advice if I do all right! Made a simply occlusion map, combined with hi-to-low AO bake(multiplied). Then for grip texture and the inscriptoins I had to transform my normal map into a cavity map inside xnormal (not the whole map, only a layer with desired details) and then multiplied over the rest.
    -don't know why cant make a screenshot in the toolbag. while pressing F12 it stamps its logo over my mesh.
    Any C&C are welcome! Maybe should make some holes or other details?
    screenshot2_copy.jpg
    screenshot3_copy.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    1. Harden uv borders
    2. Rebake
    3. Lock normals
    4. Triangulate
    5. Export

Should give you the best results going from Maya to Marmoset Toolbag.

Is there any benifit to that work flow versus triangulating before baking?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its necessary, in Maya you need to do it because a triangle's vertex normals are calculated differently than a Quad or Ngon's. In Max this isn't the case, I'm not sure about Modo.
    Yeah, it changes in modo, too.

In modo, the normal of any polygon (any number of sides) is the cross product of it's first two edges. So if you've got a non-planar polygon, it's normal will change when you triangulate it (and, as a result, so will the normals of it's vertices).

igi: Yep, the Set Vertex Normals command will bake the normal(s) for each vertex into a "vertex normal map". They're stored in object-space. So any changes to the mesh (that don't add new geometry) will not affect the normals at all (you can move, scale, rotate, triangulate, etc).