Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d noob. Improvements?

Hey,

I am currently doing a one year course at school for game artist. Where we see a minimal amount of 3d modelling (actually this just includes the basics of 3ds max)...and cryengine. I am now doing my graduation project for this course...i do intend to do a one year course for 3d artist next year, with a sole focus on modelling and software like zbrush.

Currently i am keeping a blog for my graduation project (i know the work is crappy, but we really didnt see much at school...also considering im top of my class currently...):

http://thomas-vanhoutte.blogspot.be/

here is what i will be focusing on the coming days (i need to finish this within a week, because i need a animation ready model to use in a after effects presentation, which is also needed for our graduation project). + i need time to finish my cryengine level. And i only got a total of 4 weeks left.

Work in progress:

ZBrush+Document2.png

I never touched zbrush before (did have minimal experience with mudbox though), and this is only a few hours of work. Started with a base model in 3ds max and then did some sculpting in zbrush. My main questions are: I can at any point using qremesh make a low poly model, upon which i can apply a normal map rendered from a high poly version right? (not yet used to the zbrush workflow)
And can i use the topology zbrush creates to do proper skinning?
And is my character right proportion wise? It still needs alot of detailing and stuff..

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, google any reference images of the human body and compare it to your sculpt. I think it will be apparent that your proportions are a bit off. I'm not a character artist, but the first thing you will hear when doing characters is that you absolutely can not produce quality work without having a solid understanding of human anatomy and using reference images. Before jumping into details right away, take your model down to very low subdivisions and sculpt in major forms and underlying structure. At this point it's much more important for you to get the fundamentals down before worrying about all the end game stuff like normal mapping and skinning.

The Polycount wiki is filled with useful information and tutorials that will get you on the right track.

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceAnatomy

Don't be discouraged though, posting your work on here for critique is one of the most beneficial steps you could take and it's more than most students do. So step back for a bit, slow down, and nail the basics. Keep posting updates along the way and I'm sure Polycount will help steer you in the right direction.
  • Xenocide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sean VanGorder

Thanks alot!

I did indeed do this without reference material.
    Thanks for the link, i will try to post a more anatomical correct model soon :).

And yea, i was first very doubtful to post anything at all, seeing the awesome quality of work being posted here :D. But i guess, besides losing some ego, it will only help me improve :D.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    start drawing first then sculpt. good luck
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as artistic and technical skills you can be sure that reading around Polycount will certainly help you in the areas of 3D Game Art.

One tip that I could give you is this: Have a good planning stage.

We all have been through the hassles of 3D School. Deadlines and so many factors that can affect the presentability of your final project (Time, Software, Learning Tools, Sanity etc...) By properly scaling the scope on what you will want to accomplish in a small amount of time (and amongst other delibitating factors) will greatly benefit you especially on the production phase of your projects. Keep it simple and pure, don't be overtly ambitious in scope unless you're prepared for long hours.

And once you decide how big your final project will be, DO NOT CUT CORNERS. There's so many final projects that seems so epic and "cool" but looks like half-baked because its too much for one person to make that it becomes souless, while other seems simple and ugly looking but you can feel how it was made in earnest and pushed their own limits in making it. Just stick with it.

Hope this helps :)
  • Xenocide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @VeeJayZee

Thanks for the advice! One of the problems is the fact that i asked for the hardest level from a premade game design document (one that was mostly made by one of our teachers)...i cant change it now, not after writing a level design document for more then a month. But you make a very good point. I will try to focus on the most important things, make sure they are done right and not rush everything only doing "half-baked" work. They dont expect us to have everything done anyway. Going to try and make the best of it! I`ll post a update of my character in the coming days :P.
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goodluck to you my good sir.
  • Xenocide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swordblood.png

Working on a sword atm. Dont mind the hilt...need to finish that off better..but thinking to just leave it like this, seeing as the player wont even see the lower part of the hilt in-game.
    Feedback is welcome.