Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf Warden

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DannSw polycounter lvl 10
<Update>

Zwn26yu.jpg

Hey folks,

Some screens of a character I'm currently working on. An ancient, rugged Elven male character, imbued with some sort of corrupting power. I'm currently texturing, sitting at 20k tris. C&C always welcome :D

Rough concept

SyBhprV.jpg

Sculpt

OUHupjJ.jpg

Texture progress

4qYLh18.jpg

yhNUmoC.jpg

Xlkran3.jpg

Replies

• ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, this is some quality sculpting! The detail is amazing and the cloth is very believable! Well done! Can't wait for the finished texture
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great, nice sculpt. The torso appears a bit stout, but that might be due to the design of the belt. Armor looks functional, aside from the plate mail at the elbow joints. Looking forward to the finals.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    i love the details in the clothing
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    cool stuff man; I think you should lighten up your textures a bit though, it's hard to see all your nice details
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Nice sculpt and materials! Would be great to see some finer scratches on the metal.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed with daphz, absolutely amazing sculpt but the detail is lost because of the dark texture.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'll try lightning the textures a little, although I do want to try and keep the coat as dark as I can - while it looks good on my monitor on marmoset, I realise my monitor could be much brighter than others/the standard.

Are there any tricks I can use to try and push out the fold detail while allowing for a dark base on the coat? I've tried looking into curvature maps, but apparently xNormal cannot properly render them.

@TigerGD, definately my next stop! I'll give this a whack before starting the hair I think!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow this looks amazing, i freakin love the armour
  • Aeranima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aeranima polycounter lvl 8
    Wow. That's a nice model. How many tris was it?
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    DannSw wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Some screens of a character I'm currently working on. An ancient, rugged Elven male character, imbued with some sort of corrupting power. I'm currently texturing, sitting at 20k tris. C&C always welcome :D

Rough concept

SyBhprV.jpg

Sculpt

OUHupjJ.jpg

Texture progress

4qYLh18.jpg

yhNUmoC.jpg

Xlkran3.jpg

I love this :). do you have any tips for creating awesome concepts as i have trouble getting my ideas out?
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update - I've been trying to work on the hair, something I've always had a lot of difficulty with. Pretty pleased with how it's come out.

gFeTxRV.jpg

@Aeranima He is currently sitting at 28k tris. I reckon I could reduce this by a little bit - I also work with very tight poly counts so I often get a bit excited when making things for myself. I just got so excited after the initial retopo that I just had to start texturing straight away! I'll run an optimisation pass soon.

@This_Is_Icarus - I can try!

Start by sketching small thumbnails and establishing a strong silhouette for your character. Before you start to design, think about the who, why, and what. Who is your character, what is their occupation, where do they live, what are their dreams, etc. All of these points are incredibly important when designing a character, as it shapes their appearance greatly.

Once you have something that you think you like, start to flesh it out. Try different shapes and patterns. Look at visual motifs you might want to borrow from real life to incorporate into your design. If you were wanting to create a race or army of fascist soldiers, then you may want to look at Nazi imagery to provoke a certain response (IE, the Hellghast from Killzone borrow heavily from Nazi visual cues) or if you were making a religious alien figure, you would want to borrow from real world garments such as decorative robes to suggest a pious faith (An obvious paradigm of this would be the Jedi, for example)

The best advice I can offer is, when designing a characer, if it doesn't look right, then fix it. Don't start a character until you are happy with the design or else you may end up unhappy with the results.

This advice isn't anything new or interesting, or anything that hasn't been said before by better/smarter men than I. If you'd like some more help hit me up with a PM and I can try and find some articles that may be of use to you :) Hope that helps.

Next up, swords and daggers!
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Simply awesome, clean and nice. Pose and nice beauty render please?

P.S. why the hell would someone quote whole OP with all pictures? Beyond me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I love it, great work, I think the AO on his skin could use a little colour in it so that it doesnt look so black/charcoal-ish.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    @DannSw thanks that helps a lot as for the massive quote with pictures as was pointed out sorry i only just started posting as was unaware they would show as i have seen quotes that did not contain the pic. my bad
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamdes polycounter lvl 5
    This update is nice! The texture's material definition is much better in this one.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arise, necrothread!

Thanks for your feedback guys! I've incorporated quite a lot of it in, especially the elbowpads - I think that they really add to the design. Thanks for pointing that out guys.

I've had some freelance projects the past 6 weeks, so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I'd liked. Finally got the chance to work on the sword and some extra details! I've further defined some of the textures too. I think I am almost done, I just need to work on the eyes a bit more, I think just having a green emissive iris or something, then a plinth, then beauty shots!

I'd love to hear any more C&C you guys might have.

43U3aE8.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really tight and good. I think i'd look better if shoulder pads were brighter. Right now they kinda mix with a color of a cloak. Same with trousers. But that maybe only my cheap monitor thing.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a bit more detail to the eyes, and trying to set up some lighting for a beauty shot. Lighting really isn't my strong point, any thoughts?

5xbiudD.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This, is really awesome, and really well done....grats on a really polished piece DannSw

Would have enjoyed it if he was a bit, "brighter" as he is really really dark, but I'm sure that was intentional
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    that last pic reminds of me of ben stiller in zoolander haha, looks great
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Yeah, a running problem I've been having is the elf being very dark.

I'm using Samsung displays at home and at work, so the images seem to be ok for me, but I can understand that my displays could easily be too bright, and that what I'm creating could be far too dark for other displays, which is important as I want to be able to present my work to the best possible degree. I'm going to have to brighten it up somehow I think - gonna spend a bit more time on this.
  • Toskineuro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i love this character, but i think he looked better in earlier renders than that last one. he makes me think of the witcher which is a good thing! really cool design and sculpt
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with mr_ace. He actually looks better before you posed and rendered him. I would play around with that some more, He should look much better posed and rendered honestly, not the other way around.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Had another shot at setting up some lighting. Think I'm pretty close to finishing now!

Zwn26yu.jpg
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Oh wow, this is looking really good :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Daaaaaaym....great color palette and presentation :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The materials and details are really cool. The lighting even looks solid now, but the pose is just not working to be honest. There are so many things going on in the pose that I think just doesn't give your character justice. The way the knee is bent inward awkwardly (would be more natural to point outward) His left foot point backwards practically, his hand barely gripping the sword and the left hand just sorta out there with the fingers in odd postions, the rotation on the upper body from the hip, and so on. I don't mean to be coming off overly harsh, but I think you could spend a little extra time properly posing this and it would look soooo much better in the end. Again great work so far, don't let this thing settle on a weak pose!

[edit] Or don't pose him at all if its not your thing. He looks good in his working pose and people generally won't hold it against you if a character is left un-posed.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks really nice, some small things; The sword looks really thin and not really nice,
    your rocks are really metal-ish with the hard highlights and the high reflection,
    and that orange reflection on the rocks dosnt fit in with the rest.

Also I would write the website name under the character name for spacings sake
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Brilliant, love it! Nice work.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    For this moment in game history when the 7th gen is about to give way to the 8th, 28k tris seems okay. For folks 'in the know', how 'bout those texture maps?

Is not one but TWO 2048 maps acceptable in this day in age? Y'know, not for MMOs or mobile games or anything but for AAA?

pf