Home General Discussion

Suggested modification to spoiler tagging

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
After perusing the Game of Thrones thread that has become a veritable minefield of spoiler tags, I'm wondering what folks would think about getting the spoiler tag code altered from a a roll-over that's very easy to accidentally trigger to setup where you have to click and drag highlight to reveal the text.

I've got no idea about the practicality of such a thing - whether it'd be something that could be easily implemented into the forum software and whether there's anyone around to do such modifications, but if it is a possibility, its something I'd quite like to see added.

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, in that case, you could very well just use the same colour as the background.. like so.. there's one problem with it though, although, I'm not sure how the current spoiler tag is handled in that field either.

*spoiler*
    Spoiler text goes here, weee, you can't see it. Unless you're reading the RSS feed in which case it'd be fucked.
    *spoiler*

A more appropriate way of doing it in that case I think would be using a hidden box, that with the click of a button opens up to display the message. The usual thing you see around on some forums.. but even then, I quite prefer the current way it works.

/edit: Hang on, hex colour doesn't work any more?... oh.. it does, nvm :poly142:

THAT, OR YOU COULD ALWAYS HAVE THEM WORK HARD TO READ THE TEXT, LOL
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    is this really an issue? ...on a CG forum? just wondering. Actually I'd be scared of people who get REALLY upset about accidentally triggering a spoiler. I mean I love game of thrones, the walking dead, and I've seen spoilers aplenty, but I really got things in my life that worry me much more than this. (guess you're a lucky person if those are the worst of your worries ;) )
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    is this really an issue? ...on a CG forum? just wondering. Actually I'd be scared of people who get REALLY upset about accidentally triggering a spoiler. I mean I love game of thrones, the walking dead, and I've seen spoilers aplenty, but I really got things in my life that worry me much more than this. (guess you're a lucky person if those are the worst of your worries ;) )

Well we all don't live in Commie China! ;P

I like Adam's solution. Which grey is the same as the background?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    It's not a huge concern really, just something that crossed my mind while I was trying to dodge the spoiler tags with my mouse cursor in the GoT thread, but if the UX of the forum can be made better without an enormous amount of effort, why not do it?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't even know you could click on it. I have been highlighting all this time to see.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Andreas wrote: »
    yeah, you guys should move here. It's a workers paradise, and there's a military parade every day at 4:00. Couldn't be better ;) ah crap. forgot to use the spoiler tags :(
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worried about spoilers? Don't click on threads that are rife with spoilers.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Worried about spoilers? Don't click on threads that are rife with spoilers.

especially the GoT thread, they finally got most of the people to use the spoiler tags but some idiots like to leave hints that to me ruin things so I just avoid them all together, although the Walking Dead thread was rather clean of untagged spoilers : )
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Or, if you accidentally rollover, just roll-off again. Hasn't failed me yet.

Seems like more people would complain about having to highlight the text to read it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    How about clicakble openable spoilers, a forum i moderate has them. They are great as they also serve the purpose of hiding images as well. Awesome if you have just a single nsfw image in an art post, or have extra information that is cluttering up the post normally.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »

I like Adam's solution. Which grey is the same as the background?

That'd be #282828 :3

At that point, think it'd be broken in quotes as well. Once again, not sure how the current spoiler tag works there either