Home Technical Talk

Crysis 3 on PC question

fattkid
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
fattkid polycounter lvl 15
So I'm learning up on the Cryengine, and I'm wondering if I were to buy & install Crysis 3 on my pc - does it come with the CryEngine editor? Or will I be able to open and play with Crysis assets/content in my already installed CryEngine?

I'd like to poke around in their game and see how they have done things.

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Crysis 3 doesn't have an SDK and the .pak files can't be opened with winrar either.
    The free Cryengine 3 SDK supposedly comes with all the features that are in Crysis 3 though.

Crysis 2 does have an SDK though.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ark.

So if I install Crysis 2, it will come with an editor, so I can open up Crysis 2 assets and see how they are made/put together etc?

Basically I want to learn up on CryEngine by opening Crysis assets etc and reverse engineering them and see how they did thngs.

I'm guessing that the editor that comes with Crysis 2 is CryEngine 2, and not CryEngine 3? If so, how much difference is there between CE 2 and CE 3? Not too much, or has a lot changed etc?

Thanks again.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Just download the free CE3 SDK and get stuck in:

http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4

You get the forest level with it which is more than enough to contend with !

Goodluck
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    fattkid wrote: »
    Thanks Ark.

So if I install Crysis 2, it will come with an editor, so I can open up Crysis 2 assets and see how they are made/put together etc?

Basically I want to learn up on CryEngine by opening Crysis assets etc and reverse engineering them and see how they did thngs.

I'm guessing that the editor that comes with Crysis 2 is CryEngine 2, and not CryEngine 3? If so, how much difference is there between CE 2 and CE 3? Not too much, or has a lot changed etc?

Thanks again.

Yeah if you get Crysis 2, you can get the Crysis 2 SDK from the crydev site and open the Crysis 2 levels.

Crysis 2 is based on Cryengine 3 so it's the same Editor as what comes with the free SDK.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone else already answered the main questions, but no, the free SDK doesn't have anything from Crysis 3. If I remember correctly from GDC, whenever 3.5 comes to the free SDK, it'll will include the new updates and Crysis 3 assets. I thought it was soon, but 3.4 just came out in February I think.

http://youtu.be/sZ9oFRSqMMs (an interview from GDC)
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks for teh answers as well as the link about CE 3.5 and the Crysis 3 assets.

I really appreciate your help and will most likely be back again in the near future :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Soon means (it was said about 1.5 month ago), that we will get 3.5 maybe, MAYBE in August.
    Of course i Cloud be wrong and it will be June but i wouldn't hold hopes high.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks iniside. Either way, good to know.