Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Torchlight 2 Weapon Pack

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
lishaleston polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!

I had an awesome time making my "Swamp Thing" mod for Torchlight 2, so I wanted to continue making weapons for it and turn it into a pack.

Here are some silhouettes I have so far, I've singled out my favorites, I'll be iterating on them later tonight.

Fr7Qccs.jpg

Scythe - Wood, metal, something to bind them
Wand - cobbled together electric something
Polearm - bone handle, jagged blade
Dagger - sharpened bone
Mace - like a totem head, sort of tribal

If any of you guys have any suggestions you'd like to add, I'm totally open to hearing them!

Replies

• Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    There are some interesting shapes going on here. Overall you may want to give them a little more mass so they will visually read when in-game.

I like the birdlike qualities of the scythe you have highlighted - it could be cool to play on that idea a bit. The fish-blade polearm is cool too, though I think the handle could be more interesting. I'm also a fan of the third one from the left on the bottom row.

You should number the silhouettes so we can give feedback more easily!
  • lishaleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythes

YPnFQZJ.jpg

Wands

QHcUobI.jpg

Polearms

zIhShhk.jpg
  • ashleighmills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills polycounter lvl 8
    More weapons yay!

I like #1 scythe but add some of the dangling vines. Most of the others look too delicate to me--I like the big feathers(?) on top and the chunkier handle. Might want to try making the blade bigger too so it looks more dangerous.

The wands with stuff sticking out like spikes read more like maces to me. I like 5 and 11 so far. I try more swamp things on these if you're trying to have a themed set.

I like the #12 polearm and how it looks like a fish skeleton.
  • lishaleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think polearm number 12 is my favorite. I'm thinking of splitting the wands off so number 5 is a wand and number 12 is a mace (messing with the head to make it more mace-like). Jury is still out for the scythe - I think I'll do a couple of color studies to decide if I like the vine combo more or the skelly heads. Awesome feedback guys!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Polearm: 6 works for me the best as you have a strong overall silhouette. Whereas I like 12 but I think you could push the blade shape a bit more.

Ward: Gotta be eight for me simply for the shape and pattern. But when you’re zoomed out in torchlight I can see that design getting lost so you could counter act that by enlarging the head of it so the pattern comes into play more from afar.

Scythe: 11 all the way but the blade needs to be chunkier, possibly have a look at some Darksiders 2 concept art for Death's Scythes then may have some influence on you. I like the look of the vines draping and the way you can see the pole overlapping the head of the blade.

But keep pushing it lisha. I'll be keeping an eye on these and your project. You've also reminded me that I still need to port my models in to torchlight 2 sometime this week.
  • lishaleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks Di$array!

The concepts as they stand now:
    CmPf2Ze.jpg

I'm going to start modeling them today, will probably change things as needed for the silhouette. I ended up changing the wand design significantly to match with the theme of the set. I added a mace as well.

As far as the scythe goes, I'm having a friend of mine to custom animations for it so it looks good in game :) Should be really exciting!

More to come soon.