Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Custom Cut Scene

Hey guys!

I am coming up to the final stages of finishing this custom cut scene for my dissertation and am looking for any feedback I can get.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuBmHCVPgY"]Custom Scene For Review - YouTube[/ame]

The animation is all motion captured using a 4 playstation cameras, in total a full motion capture suite can be owned by a developer for about £500.

What do you guys think? Does the quality of the animation reflect the price of the system? Are there any problems you can see with the animation? Do people think the animation would be good enough for a skilled animator to polish?

Let me know and thanks for watching!

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    First of all, well done. I really like it. The cinematic itself flows nicely. Well timed shots and cool charcters.

Only crit that i would give is that the run animation doesn't seem to have a lot of 'weight' to it. When you cut to a side shot it seems like the character is almost gliding/roller-blading away from the laser wall.

Like i said though, really well done. Good cinematic. The epic jump shot was the best part for me :)

...Also, i believe that the quality is really good and holds up a lot stronger than some animations that i have seen created in fully kitted out mo-cap lab.
  • Turkey-San
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Lankus, i can certainly see what you mean about the weight on the running animation. I believe this is because it was a looping animation that had the trajectory dictated by UDK, so it is linear without any z axis movement.

Again thanks for the kind words
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really well done honestly. The only crits I have are the shading is a bit bland, and a couple animations clip or don't look as real as they should, such as when the guy hits the door, it's both a bit slow and clips the door. Besides that I really do like it.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with everything Lankus said, its very noticeable during the run, but the poses you've captured look strong, especially the jump, that part was very well done. Also the part where he says "we should probably turn around", the pose isn't too strong, but that could have been the person you mo-caped. At 1:04 he jerks his upper body very oddly, almost too aggressively, and it also looks like hes just being animated from the t-pose. I think that could be a problem with the previous scene, something about it seems off. There were also a few twitches as well, but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up. 1:18 where he jumps over the box looked nice, I did like that quite a bit. The whole beginning part where he touches the door, and opens it looks solid, no critiques there other than basic clean up. For the price you've spent on a mo-cap station it's not to bad it definitely provides a good base.

On a side note besides the mo-caped character, the robot character seems a bit too floaty, even if he was hovering there would still be gravity pushing down on him and as it is right now I don't feel that in the animation. Try adding some rotation into the robot, that could help it. A good example of what I mean is at :34, when they are walking down the corridor, he is just moving on one axis.

Not bad though, just needs some clean up, overall it's pretty enjoyable to watch, cheers!