Home Technical Talk

My Bone is stiff

Hey all,

I have been working on my final project for classes and I am having a problem with rigging the leg bones for my ladybug.

My works is as follows:

Create > Bones >
gQ5Gtb1.jpg

Then I make the Bones starting from the top. I kept the terminator bone. With the terminator selected I go to;

Animation > IK Solvers > HI Solver and link it to my first bone.

This is the result:
kI2v7Hq.jpg

This problem is when I move my bones it looks like this:
2Ap842n.jpg

I expect the bones to straighten out when I move them, like the red line:
iV71Rwn.jpg

I haven't done any rigging before but I have watched a lot of videos. The main thing I notice is that my solver line cuts through the other bones which I don't see happen in other videos.

I have tried aligning the bones so that all of the backs face the same way by using the Bones Tool but that didn't help either.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think all your bones are linked to the top bone. Instead they should be linked in order from bottom to top. Maybe you can upload a max file with just the leg bones and Ik?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried creating the bone chain with the IKHISolver automatically assigned? Under IK Chain Assignment check on "Assign To Children" and then draw out your bone chain, when you finish the solver will be automatically assigned. That should reduce the chances of mixing something up, the bones will be linked correctly and the solver properly applied.
  • unscodst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply guys. Pretty much it turns out the problem was because the scale of the bones. I guess at 1/32", which max aloud me to create bones of this size, it just decides it doesn't want to cooperate.

I ended up scrapping the IK solver altogether as I thought I need it but I didnt, and just making normal bones and animating with interactive IK turned on.

Thank you though for the help!