Home Technical Talk

Really bad asliasing

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
Is there a way to fix this aliasing? It's only this bad when my Gloss and Spec levels are high, which is kind of needed for this. I tried changing the filters for the textures I used, but nothing changed. I searched "AA" in the console, but MSAA doesn't work in the Editor. Since it seems to be pretty tricky to set up a free flying camera(with no hud/character) in game mode, I'm relying on in-editor screenshots, so MSAA won't work.

bNtcjPT.jpg

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump. Has anyone come across this before? I was kind of hoping to get the strong highlights and reflections from the gloss map, then add a probe. I may just have to use the probe?

Also, just noticed the typo in the title. :poly136:
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    You'll probably have to make bigger chamfers on your edges. If you're just looking for a screenshot for your portfolio, increase the screen resolution when you take your screenshots and then scale them down in photoshop.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The details are way too sharp, they just need to be softened before baking.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    You'll probably have to make bigger chamfers on your edges. If you're just looking for a screenshot for your portfolio, increase the screen resolution when you take your screenshots and then scale them down in photoshop.

Hmm, I'll try the screen resolution thing. Haven't been using CryEngine for more than a few weeks, so I'll see if I can find something for that.
    ZacD wrote: »
    The details are way too sharp, they just need to be softened before baking.

I painted my normals for nDo2, but I agree, I may blur my normal a little. Currently, I have a better quality just by lowering the gloss and specular power a little and giving the spec color more of a tint closer to the light color. Would be nice to get the full gloss SSR though, so I'll mess with the Normals. Thanks
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Usually a good trick for anything aliased. For example, say your texture had aliased edges, try working at double the resolution. When you scale it down, it usually takes away the jaggies.
    That's why I mentioned taking screen caps at double the resolution. :)
    You can use the command (in the ... console variables) custom res height and custom res width, just put in a number that is double your current screen resolution and you should be able to capture large images.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    A good tip to follow though is try to stray away from micro bevels like that anyway. They will buzz on people's monitors and tv screens. It's not as bad with the new Hi-Def TV's, but back in the day, on a standard def television set, that would buzz like crazy.
    I can't find it, but there was a posting on PolyC where someone showed the difference between functional bevels. They used a gun sight as an example. Maybe it's on the wiki, I just can't find it at the moment.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Ask and you shall receive! Thanks ZacD :)
  • pilotchiao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pilotchiao polycounter lvl 5
    until today, MSAA console won't work
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    r_antialiasingmode=4 is the highest you can go. I believe it's some kind of FXAA. Anything higher and you break the shading.
  • Shinanigans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which engine version are you using?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which engine version are you using?

Sorry, this is super old now.

If I remember correctly, this was around the time when 3.5 came out. The issue was related to the small Normals/POM and the high gloss.

However, for portfolio shots, I always change the AA anyway with r_AntiAliasingMode 1 or 2 for SMAA 1TX or SMAA 2TX, respectively.