Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to get a job in the field?

I received my Bachelor's 2 years ago and finding it hard to land a full time job in the Graphic Design field. My specialty is 3D modeling/animation so I was wondering where should I look? (i.e. level editors. environment modelers, characters, etc)

Replies

• VESIUS
    Post WIP's here, create a portfolio, freelance, etc. til you get lucky. There's also a job's section on the forums somewhere, check it out you may find something you like.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    there's no real "how to" in regards to getting a job. there's plenty of "how to not" threads/articles, but for the most part it just comes down to making awesome art, and getting noticed. it also helps to know as many people as possible who can potentially hook you up with work.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Your degree doesn't matter. The first thing they'll look at is your portfolio. Junior art positions are for people with little or no experience in the field.

Your portfolio should have a focus on enviroments or characters, characters being slightly harder to break into. Right now your site makes it seem like you are a graphic designer that does 3d models on the side. You might be able to get a job doing UI work with a graphic design portfolio, but it doesn't look like your main focus is 3d modeling with the current site. And your 3d work is the weakest.

None of the 3d models appear to be a screen shot in a game engine, they all look rendered out of Maya/Mental ray. Every model should be textured unless it is an extremely detailed high poly model.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Craiglist. Elance. Couple of places to start.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 14
    I'm a bit confused as to what position and field you're interested in. Looks like your portfolio is more leaning towards Graphic Design than Video Game Art. In terms of landing a full time job. There is a "how to" way and it's working hard and just getting yourself better. Work will find you (at least in my experience) if you work hard and just get better. It's good to be well-rounded but if you want to do 3d Art I would focus more on that in your portfolio and it isn't a must but I would choose something you enjoy doing... characters? or environments? Look up tutorials and just get better. Post your work and yeah get better :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I'm still quite new to the industry, I recently graduated about eight months ago, I was also in the middle of Tennessee, which seemed like a dead zone for this industry and my craft, character animation, there was only a handful of production studios, none of which specialized in games, and none of these studios were hiring character animators at the time.

Since I couldn't find work, I made my own. I jumped into the DOTA 2 Steam Workshop and started putting together teams to create assets for the game, unbelievably it actually worked. I started creating assets for the game, learning the pipeline, getting them working, etc, We made the chicken courier that is currently in the game, because of my animation work someone contacted me through steam asked if I was interested in working on the Na'Vi courier, which is also in the game. Suddenly I was starting to make some money, a living in my free time. Now I can't go a week without someone messaging me asking to animate an NPC. And GDC was coming up, so I threw myself into the fire and bought a ticket, I had three months to prepare.

I urge you to do the same, just buy the ticket way in advance, that way you're obligated to go and that gives you a deadline to get all your work done.

Just about everything on my website was made within those three months. I updated my site on the same day every month, after two months, one of the studios in Nashville contacted me asked if I could come in. Right as my contract with them ended, it was time for GDC. I went to GDC with everything I needed and "took the place by storm", just kidding, I was still a noob compared to everyone else, haha. But more seriously, I networked, hung out with people I worked with though the workshop, and had a great time. I met and talked with other animators and most if not all seemed to like my work and saw some potential. I flew back to Nashville feeling on top of the world, and to my amazement two weeks after I returned a studio out in Nevada contacted me and asked to come in and work. Now I'm finally working in the game industry living my dream.

TL;DR, It's a tough industry to break into, and everyone has their own way of getting in. It's not just about knowing people, or being really good at what you do, or even having a great personality. It seems like it's a combination of it all. If you're good at what you do, have a great personality, are easy to work with, and know the right people you will get a job in no time. The most important thing is this, "Never give up, never surrender"

The most important question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do in the industry, right now you're portfolio (sorry if this is harsh) is just a hodgepodge of various types of work, none related to game art. Your 3D renders look like a straight mental ray, and overall the setup and lighting isn't that impressive. Not to mention you lack wireframe renders if you were looking to become a modeler. If you want to model, pull off all of your graphic design work, don't even show it, if someone is wanting to hire you for a 3D artist position they won't care if you can design graphics, they want to make sure you can create the assets for the game from start to finish. There was also a very good read I found yesterday, titled 51 things every game student should know, which was also quite funny in the way they laid some of those out. I urge you to check it out.

That's all you're getting from me, my keyboard is looking at me with a very mean look and it looks like we're about to fight to the death, so with that being said, Cheers!

Never give up, Never surrender!
    never.gif
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Be good.
    Know people.
    Be nice.
    Be motivated.
    Have boners.
  • Brandon Kern
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    Be good.
    Know people.
    Be nice.
    Be motivated.
    Have boners.

Alex, the only thing you have are boners and you still landed a job. Maybe you lucked out? I'm just kidding man I love you.

But seriously, to break into the industry you're gonna need to get really really good and follow the first 4 pieces of Alex's advice.