Home General Discussion

How do you become a Designer?

mod
This is a serious question. Im wondering how you become a designer. What are the steps you need to take? Im not a student and am well aware that you cant just walk into that job. Its certainly not an entry level job. But Im curious. How do people do it? I know some companies, QA has a lot of feedback on design, so it would makes sence to work your way up from that, as you probably have experience dealing with design. Then I guess there is the "create your own indie game" which you can use as an example of your design work. But besides that, I have no idea how oyu would do it.

Any of you guys/gals have any insight? Have you done it? Do you know how your designer did it?

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    You make games.

No seriously, that's all it really takes. "Design" is a theoretical realm, and the only way to really nail down theory is through experimentation. And in game design, you experiment by making games, and having people play them. If you want to be a game designer, then design games, craft prototypes of those designs, and get people to play them. They can be board games, dice games, web games, mobile games, multiplayer or single player, the details aren't all that important. What is important is the experience and experimentation you can glean from crafting those games and getting them in front of other people.

As far as becoming a designer at a larger company is concerned, the same approach applies. You don't have to earn money off of the games you make, you just have to prove that people are willing to play them. Functional prototypes are what prove that you are a capable designer who is willing to get their hands dirty.

Go out there and get to it.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've also seen environment artists branch into level design, then into other facets of design.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    some of the more senior guys at work tell me that in thier experience game design is nearly always done by people who have risen up through the ranks of programmer/level design/art etc to become respected and knowledgeable in game design.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It really, really, helps if you have some other kind of skill. Learn to program or make art as well as scripting. You're just more employable if you can do something else - and it also helps you fit into positions which involve a bit of both worlds.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Make your own games. Knowing only one area of game development (e.g. art or programming) will severely hold you back. You have to take on your own projects and see everything through to the end to really understand the scope of designing a game.
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    This is a very broad question that can only be answered with very broad answers. Just like in art, there are specializations. If you enjoy blocking out maps, focusing on flow, balance, and controlling the physical space for the player: look into level design. If you enjoy the more gritty stuff, playing with numbers: look into system design. Many large studios have specific design roles like encounter designer, where you focus on boss fights, etc. Class designers may focus on one type of playable character in a possible mmorpg setting.

There are of course generic Game Design positions that will vary largely from studio to studio. Figure out what you like doing, and do it. The bottom line is do it. If you're doing it wrong, then you will learn from mistakes and then you will do it right. Just do it. Seriously, can't stress it enough - DO IT: MAKE GAMES.

Start with something you can handle. Scope is extremely important. Conceptualizing the next big mmorpg is really fun, but not practical. Start with something very simple. Work your way up, polish, and TAKE feedback to heart.

When you play games, think about what you like, what you don't like, what you would change, and what makes that game unique. Carry around a notebook and pencil at all times. When something epic strikes your noggin, write it down.

Find other people in your hometown with similar interests. If you surround yourself with people that have similar aspirations then it will be easier to stay motivated, and to utilize resources they can offer that you may not have. Networking is KEY!

One thing that I can recommend is to check out this book called 'Level Up!' by Scott Rogers. (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/level-up-scott-rogers/1111797378?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-textbook_instock_26to75_pt105-_-q000000633-_-9780470688670&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9780470688670&isbn=9780470688670&r=1) This book is filled with doodles, and illustrations. It's very easy to stick with as it's not just a massive wall of text like mine, lol. He likes to portray his ideas using sketches throughout the book. It covers a majority of design fundamentals and is a really good read.

Remember... JUST DO IT.. and never underestimate the power of google. The internets is a treasure chest of information waiting to be read by you.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For someone with an artistic background, level design is a pretty straight foward path. Work as a level designer at a studio for a few years and try to work your way up, if you still want to "design" games at that point.

You don't need to make your own game from scratch to get into design. What you do need to do though, is make something playable. Make a level for one of the commonly modded games out there like source games, unreal engine games, or make something with UDK. That would be a good start.

Try doing minimally dressed "gray" type levels if you want to focus on scripting and gameplay mechanics.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Confusing vague question :D, Umm You asking how you become a Designer and than went on about Designing Games ( i hope I get this correct) .

1. Designer Designer one who design anything everything are your Industrial Designers for this one you need solid perspective drawing skills plus keep knowing about the new manufacturing mehtods and materials, Learn alot from folks like Dietr Rams, Jonathan Eve, Marc Newson, Scott Roberson, Daniel Simmon (my bad if name spelling is wrong)

2. if talking about game level design, or aesthetic design(steampunk, sci fi, medival etc)and many more designs even graphic design well the way I have learned after spending ton loads of money in Universities is that you need contacts and keep doing it what you like in terms of Design until you get there. Books and Industry expert advice matters but recently we have seen stuff like AAA game being total nightmare (Aliens Colonial Marines) to much loved HAWKENS that is for free.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

design is also one of those that may benefit from (but not essential right now) college education, forewarning though: like a lot of 'game-art' courses 'game-design' courses will be practically useless outside of the game industry. I recommend doing game design related courses alongside other more broad disciplines.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Ya, Ive been in the industry for just over 2 years as an animator. I am apart of some design meetings at work. I really enjoy them. We`re a small studio, and the project Im on, theres only 5 people working on it. so everyone has feedback and design input. But I know with larger studios, there are "game designer" jobs, where all they do is design. So im just curious how people made that step, I guess.

Now, I have ideas for certain systems. Crafting and such. Would it make sense to build that system with grey boxes and stuff, then have it playable on my website, or a video of it or whatever? Not sure how you show that stuff on a reel
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might want to give ZGame Editor a look, its not the most popular, but its pretty easy to learn.

I think it would be one of the easier ways to build a mock-up of your crafting system.

http://www.zgameeditor.org/index.php/Main/HomePage
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    there are "game designer" jobs, where all they do is design. So im just curious how people made that step, I guess.

Yes and no. While there are such positions, they are few and far between. The only people who ever really get to "just design" day in and day out are industry legends. And most of those designers have spent quite a bit of time in the trenches producing levels or writing code.
    Now, I have ideas for certain systems. Crafting and such. Would it make sense to build that system with grey boxes and stuff, then have it playable on my website, or a video of it or whatever? Not sure how you show that stuff on a reel

Yes, this would make a lot of sense. Paradan suggested ZGame Editor, and that is one option. ZGame editor is a capable program for putting together simple prototypes with little to no scripting. (it has a visual logic editing system)

I would personally recommend Unity. It's great for prototyping, has plenty of documentation and a thriving community for support, and it has a web plug-in. (for playing and displaying prototypes right on the web) Roll up your sleeves and get to prototyping!
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be a designer, you have to be an idea person. That's pretty much it. :poly142:
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Overlord wrote: »
    To be a designer, you have to be an idea person. That's pretty much it. :poly142:

So everyone then? :P
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus wrote: »
    So everyone then? :P

Malus is right. A career or job of some sort is implied in the original poster's query. And while such positions do exist, they are generally reserved as rewards for the very best the industry has to offer. Shigeru Miyamoto gets to work as a pure Game Designer. Ditto for Will Wright, or Sid Meyer. If you aren't leading your own studio, or in a position to have your name on the front of the box, you aren't going to get paid just to come up with ideas.

All of those people started off coming up through the ranks in various ways. Most of them produced games in one way or another. If you want to follow in their footsteps, you need to make games yourself. If you need to recruit a team, go ahead. No one is saying that you have to go it alone. But finished product is how you convince people you can handle such a position.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12

All of those people started off coming up through the ranks in various ways. Most of them produced games in one way or another. If you want to follow in their footsteps, you need to make games yourself. If you need to recruit a team, go ahead. No one is saying that you have to go it alone. But finished product is how you convince people you can handle such a position.

I disagree. You dont have to make a game or hire a team, or have a finished product. You just need to hint at it.

To paraphrase Feng Zhu - a designer doesnt produce a work that is directly sold to the public. Design is used for pre-production that the team builds off of over a period of time to get to the final product.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So, if I can prototype certain systems (like crafting), that would help show my abilities as a designer, ya? I was thinking of actually doing it in UDK. Ive been wanting to learn unrealScript for a while, so i think it would be a good project to tackle. Challenging, but fun.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    So, if I can prototype certain systems (like crafting), that would help show my abilities as a designer, ya? I was thinking of actually doing it in UDK. Ive been wanting to learn unrealScript for a while, so i think it would be a good project to tackle. Challenging, but fun.

Prototyping some systems in UDK using unrealScript will show that you have the interest in designing systems, and that you are learning the actual skills and putting them into practice. Combine that with the fact that you already have industry experience, and you will be well on your way to being able to get a game design gig.

One thing you might keep in mind is that synergy between what you already know and game design skills can be great. Therefore any game design stuff you come up with that uses your animation skills is extra useful, such as developing a combat system that includes some cool animation aspects to it (for example - a wrestling system that involves procedural and hand-animated motion).