Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Gun

Hello!
I made this gun for my portfolio.I want to hear some critic.
-Presentation is still WIP.
jLRhsHT.jpg

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting design. The material definition seems off to me. The spec map seems a bit uniform and so everything reads as the same material and i'm not sure if that is what you were going for. It almost looks stone like...maybe like granite. I'd say work on the spec and see if you can push it more. If you are using dDo they have some good materials in there and tutorials on how to use it. You don't need dDo and could just recreate the same effects in photohop yourself though. Keep it up though :thumbup:
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revolvers have a primitive design with limitations of ammo capacity.
    If it didn't have the form of a revolver I might have a more futuristic sense about how it works.

Also the triggering mechanism doesn't make sense unless it is purely electronic, in which case I really do not understand why it needs a revolver's mechanism and with no shielding it can easily be electronically disrupted..

I guess what I am saying is that good design isn't all that random and requires thought
  • Matīss_Sola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!I will recreate the Specular Map.About material...looking from concept it seems somewhat the same i agree it doesn't look interesting enough..

Concept Image
    [IMG][/img]6Hbd4bJ.jpg
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    How many triangles is it? You could definitely add more to the round shapes to improve definition. I also agree that the materials are not represented accurately. I assume the metal is supposed to be brushed metal, but it's leaning more on concrete currently. With metal, having a cubemap/reflection map would help a lot with presentation.
  • Matīss_Sola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is 3,666k poly's.I think it's too much thou.I could have gone and optimize more but that wasn't my goal since it's only as portfolio peace. :)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    If you have the option to add a gloss map, that'll really help you add some material definition. But as it stands, I'd make the two colors in the grip different materials, like plastic and rubber. It may not be exactly what the reference has but it will be more visually interesting.

Also, I think there's too much noise in your diffuse. The griany/ concrete texture in your diffuse should be toned down very heavily or eliminated all together and let the specular carry that. Have you considered adding more large, softer shapes to the specular? Areas where grease pooled from cleaning the gun or oils from fingers in places where different areas get touched a lot?

I took a pictures, one of my shotgun and one of my AR, showing that the specular is more cloudy than noisy, and there are areas where the specular pools. There is some noise, but it's all micro scratches and those are really only on edges. And it looks like I have some dirt on here too !!!

http://i.imgur.com/KW6vp3M.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/zZcq44Z.jpg

You wireframe looks like you have a pretty large number of tris that aren't contributing to the silhouette but that's a small issue; 3k tris isn't terrible.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    the material reads more like concrete than metal. cut out the noisy details and try blocking in the materials with color only