Home Technical Talk

(Maya) Nonlinear bend issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pavolin polycounter lvl 5
Hi!
I'm trying to make a curve that bends with the help of nonlinear bend in Maya. I want to use this for a modular piece I have but I can't get it to work.

PfTHlyl.png

1. Here I had a value of 0.78539816339(pi/4) for the curvature. Low bound was set to 0 and high bound was set to 2.

2. Here I used an expression that "kodde" mentioned in http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91404
So here my curvature was an expresion(bend1.curvature = deg_to_rad(45);) with low bound was set to 0 and high bound was set to 2.

As you can see both curves give the same result and doesn't end up where I want it to end up (as if I wanted to use it for a modular peice it wouldn't fit).
I was just woundering if there is an easier way of doing this or if I have done something wrong.

Thanks!

Replies

• fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    just use a torus primitive, enter the values you like. delete faces you don't need and then flatten the mesh in y-axis.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    fade1 wrote: »
    just use a torus primitive, enter the values you like. delete faces you don't need and then flatten the mesh in y-axis.

Doesn't help if he wants to bend something already modeled like a tiling section of a cave.

I run into that problem a bunch, and this image shows how I handle it.
    hY30PGr.png
    Just incase someone reading this doesn't know for the second step, hold d to toggle the pivot editing mode, and hold the v key to snap it to existing geometry.

On a side note Maya 2014's bend deformer uses degrees instead of radians, I asked for this on their feedback site :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have I seriously gone this long without even trying to manipulate bend's pivots? This might solve something I ran into a while back, thanks for the tip!
  • Pavolin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavolin polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you m4dcow! That did it (: